Every now and then, we come across various magic potions and tablets which claim to make you slim and trim miraculously in a few days! However, we all know that these miracles come witha bundle of side effects. This is why we opt for the natural methods are efficient and have almost no side effects.
One of the most effective natural ingredients for weight loss is the cinnamon. You could say that cinnamon and weight loss walk hand in hand.
Cinnamon is a spice used in flavouring food but it also has medicinal benefits. Cinnamon is rich in manganese, iron, calcium and fiber and is used from centuries to improve digestion, prevent nausea, bloating and diarrhea. Studies have shown that cinnamon consists of “cinnulin”, which is known to reduce inflammation, oxidative stress and causes fat mass loss.
Benefits of cinnamon for weight loss:
Cinnamon works as an anti-oxidant, which helps to reduce inflammation and reduce oxidative stress. Reduction of stress is very important for weight loss, as high level of stress leads to the production of “cortisol”, which increases the blood sugar level, inflammation in the body and disturbs the immune system of our body. High level of cortisol leads to weight gain, which is prominently visible around the belly area.
Thus regular consumption of cinnamon reduces stress, which in turn reduces the amount of cortisol in body and lead to weight loss.
[ Read: Superfoods for Weight Loss ]
Lower blood sugar:
Do you know that high blood sugar level is an important factor of weight gain? Cinnamon contains “cinnulin” which helps in maintain the blood sugar level in the body. It aids in effectiveinsulin production by the pancreas, thus maintain the blood sugar levels. This not only helps the body to lose weight gradually but also keeps you healthy by lowering the risk of diabetes.
Studies have shown that regular consumption of cinnamon increases your metabolism rate by 20 times. A thermogenic burn in the body helps to shed the fat, and cinnamon helps to ignite that burn in the body. As your metabolism increases, you tend to burn more calories and in turn burn off the excess fat from your body.
[ Read: Green Tea for Weight Loss ]
Cinnamon helps to reduce triglycerides, bad cholesterol and total cholesterol. High levels of cholesterol in blood, blocks the arteries in the heart and the body. Thus regular cinnamon intake reduces fat in our blood stream and thus helps in reducing the overall body weight. It helps to reduce the stubborn belly fat, which is also responsible for heart diseases and diabetes.
How much cinnamon is healthy???
According to the studies, the regular intake of cinnamon should be 500 mg per day. An individual should consume 250 mg in the morning and 250 mg in the evening. However you should avoid consuming cinnamon supplements or tablets, as they are not considered healthy in the long run.
How to include cinnamon in diet??
Cinnamon benefits weight loss. So you could follow some of the tips given below:
1. Sprinkle cinnamon powder on your coffee, cakes, desserts, etc. Combination of apple pudding or apple walnut salad with cinnamon sprinkled on the top is highly beneficial and satisfying to your taste buds.
2. Mix your favourite cereal or oatmeal with warm milk and sprinkle the cinnamon powder on top. This acts as a powerful and healthy breakfast and also helps to reduce weight gradually.
3. One of the most effective methods is consuming cinnamon tea. Make your own cinnamon tea by boiling the water with tea leaves and one stick of cinnamon. Filter it and add a teaspoon of honey. Mix well and drink it twice a day in the morning and evening for best results.
4. You can also sprinkle in on your toast and enjoy with your morning cup of tea.
5.It can also be added to apple and peach pies, custards, fruit juices and tarts to enhance the flavour.
Only cinnamon and honey cannot help in weight loss, you should consume low calorie diet and exercise regularly concentrating on the target areas. Including a teaspoon of cinnamon powder in your daily diet to help reduce weight naturally.
Till then take care and keep it stylish! Hope you benefit from this article on ‘Cinnamon for Weight Loss’.
Latest posts by Ankita Biswas (see all)
- Best Leave-in Conditioners – Our Top 10 Picks - December 3, 2013
- 6 Types Of Meditation Techniques And Their Benefits - November 26, 2013
- Top 10 Meditation Videos For Reference - November 13, 2013
- Top 5 Dove Face Washes Available In India - October 25, 2013
- Best Ayurvedic Shampoos – Our Top 10 - October 8, 2013