If you thought coconut made you put on weight, boy you are so wrong! Coconut in fact has excellent benefits that will keep you healthy for years to come. Ever wondered about the secret of the health of robust people who live by the coast line? Their secret is nothing but the COCONUT! You heard it right! For several centuries people in Asia and the Pacific islands have consumed a diet rich in coconut. Their staple food is rich in coconut oil, coconut flour, and other edible parts of the coconut like its flesh. Several studies have established that people who eat a coconut rich diet do not struggle with high cholesterol, heart diseases or even obesity.
Coconut for Weight Loss – The Link
Why eat coconut, you ask? Is Coconut goof for weight loss? Why not just pop a few of the many pills that claim to help you lose weight? Or simply live on fluids till you lose a few pounds. Though these may seem like the right way to lose those flabby rings around your belly, it will do more harm than good.
1. Coconuts are rich in medium chain fatty acids that are healthy and also help increase your body metabolism- which means the body will burn calories faster, and target the fat reserves. Also, instead of being stored as fat deposits, digested coconut gets converted into energy and aids the body in burning more calories.
2. Coconuts are very easy to digest and require fewer enzymes to digest, break down and improve the absorption of vital nutrients, vitamins and minerals.
[ Read: Coconut Oil ]
3. Vitamins such as A, D, E and K are water soluble and do not easily get assimilated by the body without an adequate amount of fat in your diet.
4. Coconuts are also good for those who have a slow metabolism. People, who suffer from digestion, fatigue, high BP, and constipation, benefit from consuming coconut.
[ Read: Skin ]
5. Coconut is also known to trigger the activity of your thyroid; this in turn increased your body metabolism and also boosts your energy.
6. Coconuts, mislabeled as trouble makers in fact are the most easily digested fats. Unlike other diets, a diet rich in coconut does not leave you feeling deprived, or craving for midday snacking.
7. Consumption of oil rich in trans fats poses a risk of heart diseases, high cholesterol and many other health conditions. Coconut oil on the other hand metabolizes the fats in the liver and converts it to fuel for the brain and muscle functioning. Thus, the fat consumed is not stored in the body. By consuming coconut oil, depression, heart problems, and other ailments can be kept at bay.
8. If abdominal obesity is your concern, then coconut oil is your answer. A study in 2009 established that coconut oil helps regulate weight fluctuation and also protects the body from insulin resistance. Consume about 4 spoons full of coconut in your diet to stay and feel healthy.
[ Read: Triphala Help You Lose Weight ]
9. As discussed earlier, coconut oil is a miracle for those suffering from constipation. The fatty acids in this wonder oil are said to have anti-microbial properties that have a rather soothing effect on parasites and bacteria that inhibit proper digestion. Irritable bowel syndrome and other digestive problems will be a long gone story if you consume a good amount of coconut in your daily diet.
10. Studies have shown that oil of coconut is rich in lauric acid. It also contains caprylic acid, and capric acid that contain anti-fungal, anti-bacterial and anti-viral properties that keep you healthy and help your body build up a strong immune system. In the past, coconut oil was used to treat and act as a preventive measure towards infections like candida, herpes and influenza.
11. If you have a sweet tooth, and have a tendency to put on weight easily, include coconut oil in your diet. Simply try eating a spoonful of virgin coconut oil and you will feel full and be able to resist your temptation to bite into a bar or Snickers.
12. If you are a chef in the making, and enjoy trying out new recipes, use coconut oil for dishes that call for high cooking temperatures. Being a medium chain saturated fatty acid, coconut oil does not oxidize at high temperatures.
13. If you thought coconut oil helps maintain general health and that is where it’s benefits end, try virgin coconut oil in your skin regimen. You will be surprised at how the oil combats with fine lines, wrinkles and even blemishes. Regular use of the oil will soften your skin and make it supple and luxuriant.
14. One tbsp. of coconut oil contains 13.6 g of fat and a whopping 117 calories. What more can you ask for? Add it to your salad, and see your waist go from a 34 inches to 26 inches in just a few weeks.
15. Coconut water acts as a diuretic, and helps cleanse the body of toxins, waste, and unwanted drugs. Drinking fresh coconut oil will help you pass out your body’s waste with more ease, and also help you shed excess weight without having to work out a sweat.
[ Read: Zubaida Tariq Tips For Weight Loss ]
The benefits of consuming coconut to lose weight are many. Feel the difference once you try the coconut- a fruit that is known to have been used for centuries in treating several ailments. If in doubt as to how to consume coconut, simply grate fresh coconut and sprinkle over salad or even your curries and walk your way to a healthier YOU.
Latest posts by Maanasi Radhakrishnan (see all)
- 10 Amazing Health And Beauty Benefits Of Yarrow Essential Oil - September 7, 2015
- 8 Marvelous Benefits Of Cottage Cheese - September 1, 2015
- 33 Marvelous Benefits Of Jaggery (Gur) For Skin And Health - August 31, 2015
- A to Z Of Diverticulitis Diet - August 27, 2015
- This Is Why You Should Try The Magnificent Monoi Oil - August 20, 2015