Dandruff, also known as Pityriasis simplex or scurf, is a common condition of the scalp faced by people of all ages, all around the world. It is basically the excessive shedding of dead skin from your scalp and is caused by an extremely oily, dry, or infected scalp. We are yet to pinpoint the exact cause of dandruff, and there is no permanent cure for the condition. However, there are ways to control and minimize the problem.
Coconut oil, which is extracted from the flesh of mature coconuts, is rich in vitamins and fatty acids. These nourish the scalp and remove sebum build-up. Its antimicrobial properties, combined with its penetrative and nourishing nature, make it one of the best hair care solutions.
What Are The Causes Of Dandruff?
A dry environment can push your scalp into overdrive, making it produce excessive sebum, the natural oil on your scalp. Too much sebum tends to clog pores and attract microbes, leading to infections that cause dandruff. Another cause for this condition is sensitivity to the Malassezia fungus. While it naturally occurs on everybody’s scalp, it causes irritation in some people by growing out of control and feeding on sebum. Yeast sensitivity, dry skin, not shampooing enough, and your diet are also factors that can lead to dandruff.
How To Use Coconut Oil For Dandruff?
You can simply apply coconut oil to your hair. However, there are methods that can help you reap maximum benefits of the oil. Follow the instructions below to treat dandruff naturally using coconut oil.
1. Deep Conditioning With Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is the best remedy for treating dry, damaged, and over-processed hair. A deep conditioning treatment will moisturize your hair while getting rid of dandruff. Do this at least once a week to effectively control the issue.
- 2-3 tablespoons of coconut oil (depending on the length of your hair)
- Shower cap/Warm towel
- A wide-toothed comb
- Wash your hair with shampoo. Do not condition.
- Using a wide-toothed comb, section your hair while it is still slightly damp. Rub some coconut oil in between your palms and start applying it to your hair.
- Make sure that you cover your scalp and all of your hair, from the roots to the tips.
- Put your hair up and cover it with a shower cap, or wrap it in a warm towel (you can warm the towel up with a blowdryer). The warm atmosphere inside the shower cap or towel will allow for maximum penetration.
- Let it sit for at least 30 minutes. You could also leave the oil in overnight and wash it off in the morning.
- Wash your hair well with shampoo and ensure that there is no residue of the oil left behind.
2. Hot Oil Massage With Coconut Oil
A hot oil massage is one of the quickest and most efficient ways to use coconut oil as the heat allows for maximum penetration. The massage will stimulate your scalp and purge any oil or dirt build-up.
2-3 tablespoons of coconut oil (depending on the length of your hair).
- Heat the coconut oil on the stove. Do not make it too hot; you should still be able to touch it after you heat it.
- Dip your fingers in the oil and use them to massage the oil into your scalp.
- Massage your scalp for 10-15 minutes until you have covered every part.
- Use the leftover oil to coat your hair.
- Let it sit for 30 minutes and then wash it off with a good shampoo.
3. Coconut Oil And Lemon Juice
Your scalp is naturally acidic. Hence, using lemon juice, which is acidic in nature, is excellent for cleaning and restoring it. This, in combination with coconut oil, is the perfect solution for dandruff.
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
- Mix the above-mentioned ingredients and apply the mixture to your scalp and hair.
- Massage it for a few minutes and leave it on for 20-30 minutes.
- Wash it off with shampoo.
[ Read: How To Use Lemon To Get Rid Of Dandruff? ]
4. Coconut Oil And Jojoba Oil
Jojoba oil is not really an oil but a wax ester. It is similar to the sebum produced by your scalp, and its application will dissolve the excess sebum build-up. It also tricks your scalp into thinking that there is sufficient oil and reduce production. If you have an oily scalp, this coconut and jojoba oil combination is perfect for treating your dandruff.
- 1 part coconut oil
- 1 part jojoba oil
- Mix the oils in a container and apply the blend onto your scalp and hair.
- Massage the oil into your scalp to dissolve all the sebum. Massage for a few minutes until you cover the entire area of your scalp.
- Cover your hair with a shower cap or a warm towel.
- Let the oil sit in your hair for at least 30 minutes.
- Wash off with a good shampoo. If you have an oily scalp, skip the conditioner.
5. Coconut Oil And Rosemary Oil
Rosemary oil increases microcirculation in the scalp. This promotes healing and helps purge build-up. In combination with coconut oil, it is the perfect solution for treating dandruff that has been causing irritation and inflammation from scratching.
- 2-3 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 3-5 drops of rosemary essential oil
- Add a few drops of rosemary essential oil to coconut oil.
- Apply the mixture to your scalp and hair, massaging your scalp well as you do.
- Cover your hair with a shower cap or a warm towel and leave it on for at least 30 minutes.
- Wash your hair with shampoo.
Is Coconut Oil Good For Dandruff?
Enriched with essential vitamins E and K, proteins, lauric acid, capric acid, etc., coconut oil penetrates easily into the hair shafts and scalp and gives a deep moisturizing, hydrating, and conditioning effect. It repairs damaged shafts and follicles, detangles the hair, and reduces dryness, flakiness, and irritation of the scalp. A well conditioned and clean scalp is adept at keeping dandruff at bay.
It removes the build-up of sebum, dead skin, and dirt, and keeps the follicles and hair clean and healthy, thus treating and preventing dandruff effectively. It also helps strengthen hair, reduce breakage and hair loss, promote hair growth, and restore luster. Therefore, it is the perfect solution to make your hair long, smooth, shiny, voluminous, and dandruff-free.
There you have it – five different ways in which you can use coconut oil to control your dandruff problem. Try out these easy DIY solutions to treat dandruff. You are bound to see some positive results.
Have you ever had a dandruff problem? Let us know how you treated it in the comments section below.
- 29 Simple Tips to Get Rid Of Dandruff Permanently
- How To Treat Dandruff With Salt?
- How To Use Castor Oil For Treating Dandruff?
- How To Get Rid Of Dandruff Using Baking Powder?
Latest posts by Meenal Rajapet (see all)
- Save Money While Building Your Wardrobe – This is the Best Time to Do So! - December 30, 2016
- Cocoa Butter – The Magic Potion For Your Skin This Winter - December 15, 2016
- Spectacular Galaxy Hair Ideas That Are Straight Out Of The Cosmos - December 8, 2016
- 6 Amazing Tricks To Protect Your Skin This Winter - December 8, 2016
- 21 Silver Hair Looks That Will Make You Want To Go Gray This Christmas - December 2, 2016