As if the torture of the monthly waxing was not enough, here comes bikini wax to take the life out of us. A woman is perceived hairless, and even a little amount of it is considered manly or un-groomed! But all the cribbing aside, we love to look holiday-ready all the time, don’t we? That said, take a look at all there is to know about the Brazilian wax. You might just get impulsively adventurous…
Let’s Start With What It Is All About…
The removal of the pubic hair from the bikini line is quite simply, a bikini wax. It is a cosmetic procedure, and is done by peeling off the hair along with the hot wax that is applied on the skin. Ouch!! That sure sounds painful. But the secret to surviving that is staying absolutely calm.
There are four variations of the Brazilian wax, with different levels of cleanliness (and pain, of course), so let me quickly list them down for you.
The Different Types Of Bikini Waxing:
1. The Standard:
When you pull the hair off until the line of your standard panties, it is the standard or usual bikini wax. Most parlors usually do that when you opt for the full leg waxing. It leaves a neat triangle that you could trim off and keep clean at any point of time. It is quick and easy, and pain-wise scores 2 on 5. Very bearable I would say.
2. The Extension Of The Bikini Line:
Taking sexy a notch higher, this one’s going to leave you feeling extremely attractive, and almost G-String ready!!! I’m quite sure you can picture yourself already. This one leaves absolutely no hair poking out since a little over the bikini line is waxed out, leaving a smaller triangle. I would give this one a pain rating of 2 out of 5 as well, because it is not half as painful as what is yet to come (Now ain’t that creepy?).
3. The Brazilian Wax:
Now we are talking!! With this wax, you are left only with a small strip of hair at the landing. But otherwise it is all off, and when I say all off, I mean all off. You can let your imagination run wild!
*Winks at you*
This one’s a 4/5 on the pain scale, and although it takes a good 20 minutes to strip the hair off, it is worth it!
4. Let’s Talk Hollywood:
This one’s definitely not for the faint hearted! This is like the epitome of bikini wax. And this one removes every bit of hair that exists between your legs. It takes just about 20-30 minutes and rates about 5/5 on the pain scale (Woooppss!!).
But once it’s done, you will not remember the pain, and the cleanliness it gives you – trust me, it is priceless. Just leave your apprehensions and inhibitions behind before you go for this one.
The Two Apprehensions You Deal With Before Going For A Bikini Wax:
Well, this one is like having sex for the first time (What is he going to think about my body?). But believe me when I say that when you go for a professional bikini wax, the beautician is so used to doing it, and has almost seen everything, that neither will she judge you nor will she make you feel uncomfortable. It might be new for you, but it is a part of her job. And she might have done so many in a day, that she probably won’t even remember any bit of what she saw. (And she will definitely not gossip, if you think that ‘s what she might do)
It is definitely going to be painful (don’t tell me I didn’t warn you before), but your therapist is sure to keep you comfortable and give you tips on how to make it as painless as possible. If you prepare yourself and go for the treatment, it will get a lot easier. You need to remember that if there is no pain, there is no gain.
Keep It Clean, Keep It Safe:
It is extremely important to make sure the surroundings in which you get your Brazilian wax done, and the technician, are both very clean. The wax needs to be fresh and you need to make sure she does not double dip in the wax.
The risk of infection is always higher after the session, so make sure to take all the necessary precautions for up to 24 hours after the wax.
After The Treatment:
Most technicians recommend a soothing lotion after the treatment. It is good to use one. You will definitely experience a stinging and tingling sensation in those areas. But it will subside even before you know it.
How Long Does It Last?
Usually, the wax should last you between three to six weeks. Remember that coarse dark hair grows faster than fine, light hair. If you want a smooth bikini area, waxing every three to four weeks is highly recommended. Not letting the hair grow out fully before it is pulled out again will make it finer.
Tips To Reduce The Pain & The Precautions To Be Taken Afterwards:
I don’t promise this will eliminate the pain but it will definitely reduce the discomfort. These are a few tips you could use to make the waxing experience a little less of a hassle.
- Taking an aspirin or a mild painkiller about 30 minutes before the treatment is sure to ease out the pain. It will also reduce the chances of swelling and minimize irritation.
- Your threshold of pain is very low a week before and after your period. So, make sure you plan your wax in the two weeks when your body is not so sensitive. Another quick tip you didn’t know – your body is the most pain-ready between 3pm and 5pm. So now you know when in the day you need to schedule your waxing appointment.
- Exfoliate a day before you go for the wax. It removes dead skin, and loosens out the ingrown hair.
- Always remember that hard wax is gentler than soft wax in those
- Do not be shy to communicate with your beautician. If it is too uncomfortable, you must let her know.
- Breathe! It absolutely and most definitely helps to reduce the pain.
- Some technicians suggest that you turn your head and cough when the wax is being ripped off. It sounds funny, but it surely helps to distract you from the pain.
- Be aware of the parts that are more sensitive. Expecting the pain makes it easier to deal with.
- Remember to wear loose clothes post the treatment. Tight clothes increase friction and also make the areas more susceptible to bacteria from the clothing.
- Remember to not go into a pool or a beach or shower with hot water for about 24 hours post the wax.
- Do not go to the gym, or have sex or undertake any strenuous or exhausting activities for about 24 hours after the session
Advantages Of Bikini Waxing:
Now that you know what to expect, let us quickly run through the pros of getting a bikini wax.
- It helps rid of tough, firm, course, and hard-to-reach hair around your genitals.
- It is a quick and easy way of getting rid of pubic hair.
- You are left feeling clean, fresh and confident.
- You can wear and carry off absolutely anything without feeling like an ape.
- The hair becomes finer as you become more regular with the wax.
- It helps reduce the blackness from shaving in the private areas.
Disadvantages Of Bikini Waxing:
And now for the cons…
- It is definitely a more painful method of hair removal.
- It is not permanent, which means it is a recurring procedure.
- You need to wait for the hair to grow a certain length, and only then can you wax.
- No hair in the pubic area makes you more vulnerable towards contracting sexually transmitted diseases.
- It is definitely not cheap.
- If not done well, you will have to deal with ingrown hair.
Alternatives To Bikini Waxing:
Here is a quick list of what you can do if you do not want to opt for a bikini wax.
- Sugar Lemon Water: Heat these three ingredients together to make your very own homemade wax. It is easy to use, and can be used both as hard and soft wax. If you are using it at home to do the bikini wax by yourself, it can be hard, time taking, and uncomfortable.
- Shaving: Unlike waxing, shaving (however easy and painless it is) will not give you the same smooth silky feeling as waxing would. Also, getting the right angles to get it all off is quite a challenge.
- Hair Removal Creams: Although these creams burn away or weaken the hair, thus removing it, there is always a risk of chemical burns. Hence, you have to be extremely careful.
Now that you have all the information about a bikini wax, it’s for you to make a decision whether to go for it or not. I would say for whatever it is worth you must try it at least once. Even better, put it on your bucket list – that will be a great motivation.
Latest posts by Shirin Mehdi (see all)
- Being Pregnant Is Not Easy; Let’s Make It Less Difficult For Her - May 5, 2017
- Are You As Happy As You Think You Are? - April 26, 2017
- What She Spreads On Her Skin, Everyone Has At Home – But Nobody Uses It! - March 15, 2017
- Do You Have A Lump On Your Neck, Back Or Behind Your Ear? This Is What It Means. - March 8, 2017
- 20 Fun Ways To Use A Banana As A Beauty Product - February 22, 2017