Most of the time, hair fall is directly related to follicle health. Hair follicles get clogged due to factors such as an oily scalp, pollution, and the build-up of products. The clogged follicles leave the scalp feeling irritated, causing itching, dandruff, and hair fall. Curry leaves can effectively treat these problems because of the following properties:
- Curry leaves are rich in antioxidants that moisturize the scalp while getting rid of dead hair follicles.
- They are a good source of proteins and beta-carotene, both of which prevent hair loss and thinning (1), (2).
- The leaves are also rich in amino acids that help strengthen follicles and keep them healthy (3).
Ways To Use Curry Leaves
How To Use Curry Leaves For Hair Growth
Your skin might be allergic to curry leaves’ paste. Do a patch test before applying it onto your scalp. Do not consume the seeds as they are poisonous.
1. As A Hair Tonic
What You Need
- A handful of fresh curry leaves
- 2-3 tablespoons of coconut oil
What You Need To Do
- Pour the coconut oil into a pan and add the curry leaves to it.
- Heat the oil until you see a black residue forming around the leaves. Stand at a safe distance away from the pan while you do this as the oil is likely to splutter.
- Turn off the flame and let the mixture cool down.
- Once the tonic is cool, strain it. You can now apply it to your hair.
- Gently massage your scalp with your fingertips while applying the oil. Concentrate most on the roots and tips of your hair.
- Leave it on for an hour and then rinse it with shampoo.
Why This Works
Coconut oil is well known for its penetrating properties as a hair oil that keeps your hair nourished and moisturized. When the oil is infused with the nutrients present in curry leaves, vitamin B6 in particular, it forms a mixture that helps strengthen the hair roots and shafts while curbing hair loss (4).
How Often Should You Do This
Massage your scalp with this tonic 2-3 times a week before each wash to see significant changes within a month. The regular oiling and scalp stimulation will also help boost the rate at which your hair grows.
2. As A Hair Mask
What You Need
- A handful of curry leaves
- 3-4 tablespoons of Yogurt
What You Need To Do
- Throw the curry leaves into a blender and blend until you get a thick paste.
- Add one tablespoon of the curry leaves paste to 3-4 tablespoons of yogurt (depending on the length of your hair).
- Mix the two ingredients well until they form a paste of smooth consistency.
- Massage your scalp and hair with this hair mask. Ensure that all of your hair is covered in it from the roots to the tips.
- Leave it on for 30 minutes and wash it off with shampoo.
- Alternatively, you can substitute the yogurt with 2 tablespoons of milk.
Why This Works
Yogurt works extremely well as a hydrating scalp cleanse. It removes dead cells and dandruff and leaves your scalp and hair feeling soft and fresh. Curry leaves contain essential nutrients that help flush out the impurities from your scalp, improving follicle health. As an added benefit, they also help prevent premature graying (5).
How Often You Should Do This
Apply this hair mask once a week to boost scalp health and make your hair soft and shiny.
3. In Your Diet
Hair care is as much about what you put inside your body as it is about what you put on your hair. An ideal way to use curry leaves to tackle hair fall and promote hair growth is to include it in your diet. Doing this can be as simple as adding powdered curry leaves to rice or curries. Optionally, you could consume a mixture of finely shredded mint leaves (pudina) and curry leaves with milk or buttermilk.
Benefits Of Using Curry Leaves For Hair
- Curry leaves improve follicle health by getting rid of built up dead skin, dirt, and grime. They contain nutrients that nourish and strengthen the roots, preventing hair fall.
- Topical application of the leaves stimulates the scalp and improves blood pressure. This helps remove toxins and boost hair growth.
- Product build-up is one of the biggest causes of scalp irritation. Your hair products can also form deposits under the cuticles of your hair shaft, making it appear dull and lifeless. It can also give you frizzy hair that is prone to tangling and breakage. Curry leaves help get rid of this build-up, leaving your scalp and hair feeling fresh and healthy.
- Curry leaves are a rich source of vitamin B, one of the vitamins essential for hair health. The lack of vitamin B is linked directly to hair loss. It helps in new hair growth as well as makes your hair strong and healthy.
- As you get older, your hair starts to become lifeless and weak. Once you run out of the pigment in your follicles, your hair also starts to gray. However, sometimes this happens to young people due to factors like stress, smoking, genetic build-up or excess consumption of alcohol. The vitamin B content present in curry leaves also helps prevent premature hair graying and, as a result, your hair retains its color and luster longer.
- Curry leaves are also rich in antioxidants. Antioxidants help maintain the health of your hair and scalp. They battle the damage-causing free radicals to keep your hair healthy.
- Curry leaves improve the elasticity and the tensile strength of your hair. When damaged hair gets enough nourishment and moisture, it starts regaining its former strength and luster. Curry leaves, in combination with coconut oil, help provide the hydration and nourishment that your hair requires to heal.
- The vitamin B6 present in curry leaves works as a hormone regulator that improves the overall health of your hair while strengthening your hair roots.
Battling hair fall might seem like a daunting task, but like dealing with any bully, all you need to do is stand up to it with the right solution at your disposal. A set hair care routine that incorporates natural ingredients like curry leaves can restore your hair to its former glory in no time.
Have you ever dealt with hair fall? Tell us what worked for you in the comments section below.
Now, watch this video to know how to use curry leaves for hair growth.
- Top 10 Amazing Benefits and Uses Of Soursop Leaves For Skin, Hair and Health
- 17 Best Benefits and Uses Of Guava Leaves For Skin, Hair and Health
- 41 Amazing Benefits and Uses Of Basil Leaves For Skin, Hair and Health
- 12 Best Benefits and Uses Of Moringa Leaves For Skin, Hair and Health
Latest posts by Jyotsana Rao (see all)
- No More Dark Spots, Stains, And Hyperpigmentation: This Mask Removes Them All In Just 30 Minutes! - February 16, 2017
- 15 Uses Of Mouthwash That Has Nothing To Do With Your Teeth - February 15, 2017
- Get Rid Of Dark Fingers And Joints With These Simple Remedies - February 14, 2017
- This Homemade Tea Is A Powerful Cure For Swollen Legs - February 10, 2017
- 12 Important Period Hacks Every Girl Should Know - February 10, 2017