Are you aiming at getting an attractive body like Kim Kardashian? Do you want to tone and flaunt your long legs in that short floral dress this summer? Well, if you are looking for a perfect lower body workout, reading this post may be of help!
A perfect exercise to meet our workout needs is what we all desire! Have you heard of the Depth jumps? Do you know they give you immense muscle power and strong legs? If you would like to know more about Depth jumps and their benefits, read on!
What Are Depth Jumps?
Depth jumps are a form of plyometric exercises, which help develop power in your muscles. Athletes practice Box and Depth jumps to strengthen their legs and improve their sprint performance (1). The two are relatively similar – they both require the use of a box, but Box jumps involve jumping onto a box while Depth jumps require jumping down from one.
So, Depth jumps are done by stepping off a box and jumping just as you touch the ground. These sound real easy but are a kind of “super training”. Depth jumps are for advanced athletes only. It means that you cannot start doing the Depth jumps without prior training, as you can end up seriously damaging your leg muscles for life.
[ Read: Benefits Of Jump Squats ]
Here is some handy information for you before you start practicing depth jumps:
1. Depth jumps require special preparation and training in barbell exercises, jumping, sprinting, and skipping over a period of a few months.
2. If you suffer from muscle or tendon fatigue, pain or soreness in your legs, knee or ankle, you should refrain from doing depth jumps.
Steps To Perform The Depth Jump:
How to do depth jumps? At first glance, the depth jump looks like an athlete stepping off a box and jumping high. The beauty of this Plyometric exercise lies in its simplicity.
1. The start position of the Depth jump requires you to stand on top of a Plyo box or a strong platform, which is 0.5-0.8m high. You can increase the height of the platform if you want to build your strength and lower it if you want to increase your speed.
2. You must stand with your feet shoulder-width apart.
3. Jump off the box with one foot, but ensure that while landing both your feet hit the floor at the same time.
4. Use your arms to add speed by drawing them back prior to stepping off the Plyo box and swinging them vigorously upward as your feet hit the ground.
5. As soon as your feet hit the floor, jump as high as you can.
6. It is important to land on the balls of your feet and limit the amount of time your feet are in contact with the floor.
7. Step back on the Plyo box for the next round.
[ Read: Benefits Of Tuck Jumps Workout ]
Tips For Getting The Depth Jump Right:
1. Do a warm-up before performing depth jumps.
2. Keep your back straight at all times.
3. Look straight ahead while doing the jump.
Points To Remember:
1. Professional athletes perform a maximum of four sets of ten jumps each during a training session. Athletes undergoing training can perform a maximum of three sets of five jumps each. An interval of 10-15 minutes is necessary between the sets.
2. You should not do Depth jump training more than twice a week.
3. Depth jumps work on the central nervous system, so athletes should not perform these jumps just before a competition.
4. Perform the depth jump on a surface that is flat and not slippery.
[ Read: Scissors Jumps and Benefits ]
Benefits Of Depth Jumps:
1. The Depth jump works on the explosive development of the muscles of the thighs (quadriceps), the hamstrings, the buttocks (glutes) and calf muscles.
2. It helps athletes increase speed, agility, and reach.
3. It improves the tensile strength of tendons, which in turn makes muscle contractions stronger.
So, these are the ins and outs of depth jumps! Start performing them today, but exercise some caution too! If you found this article interesting and informative, please leave a comment below.
- What Is Scissors Jumps And What Are Its Benefits?
- 6 Easy Steps To Do Plié Squat Jumps
- 4 Amazing Benefits Of Tuck Jumps Workout On Your Body
- 5 Amazing Benefits Of Frog Jumps Exercises
- 5 Simple Steps to Practice Star Jumps
Latest posts by Chetana (see all)
- What Happens 10 Minutes Before A Heat Stroke? - December 15, 2015
- Skin Gym Face Fitness For A Younger And Healthy Face - June 25, 2015
- 10 Best Health Benefits Of Chicory Root - June 24, 2015
- Is Coconut Oil An Effective Remedy To Treat Candida? - June 22, 2015
- 10 Side Effects Of Neem You Should Be Aware Of - June 18, 2015