A very refreshing drink, low in calories, coconut water is one of the topmost nutritious drinks available on earth. People all over the world like coconut water for its pleasant taste and nutritional value. Even a small-sized coconut comes along with a good amount of nutrients that offer several health benefits altogether.
Coconut water is often considered as superb electrolyte replenishment while being enriched with two essential salts, potassium and sodium. Despite being sweet in taste, coconut water makes an ideal drink for diabetic patients. Coconut water is fresh and devoid of artificial sweeteners and preservatives. It is therefore safe for all to consume coconut water without any health risk.
Nutritional value of Coconut water and why it is good for diabetes
Coconut water is sterile and thus safe to drink. It is important to note that one needs to consume the water of green coconut, and not the milky thick substance, which is known as the pulp. The whitish pulp of the coconut is high in sugar and fat. Therefore, it is not suitable for the diabetic patients. Conversely, green coconut water is completely safe and a mine of variable nutrients such as sodium, potassium, calcium, phosphorous, zinc, manganese, iron and copper in addition to the fundamental amino acids. Coconut water contains essential fatty acids, but is not fatty in nature.
Coconut water is excellent for diabetic patients as it contains certain nutritional properties that help in maintaining the blood sugar levels. It is high in fiber and belongs to the alkaline pH food group that helps to cope up with acid-producing factors within the body. Consuming coconut water is good for obese diabetic patients as well, as it does not add more calories to one’s health.
[ Read: Honey for Diabetics ]
Here is why coconut water for diabetes beneficial:
- Diabetic patients often suffer from an impoverished blood circulation. Due to this problem, they often experience discomfort like numbness in the feet, blurred vision and kidney failure. Intake of coconut water improves such a condition quite efficiently. Coconut water directly improves blood circulation and aids to widen the vessels for smooth blood circulation. Therefore, coconut water provides great relief against fighting the symptoms and side effects of diabetes. Besides, it is capable of healing a diabetic disorder called atherosclerosis.
- Abnormal weight gain is a general tendency amongst diabetic patients. Coconut water has the ability to prevent unnecessary hunger and therefore helps you eat less. It is a rich source of nutrients like essential salts, minerals and contains no cholesterol at all. Coconut water makes an ideal midday snack that offers only energy and not calories. Moreover, a diabetic patient can easily pick up this nature’s cold drink, as other colas are a strict ‘no’ for them.
- Coconut water helps in inducing metabolism to a great extent. Improved metabolism undoubtedly improves fat burning and sugar burning levels within the body. This activity of coconut water within our bodies helps to provide patients with more energy and vigour for life.
- Coconut water is stuffed with all good nutrients. It is an excellent source of Omega-3 fatty acids and antioxidants. Both of these are essential in diabetes to check sugar levels and body weight.
[ Read: Coconut Water Benefits ]
How safe is coconut water for diabetics?
Coconut water is safe to have for all and especially the diabetic patients mainly because it contains low amounts of natural sugar. However, too much of anything can bring some adverse effects to human health. Therefore, one should not exceed the limit of drinking coconut water every day, no matter how much fond of it one may be. An ideal recommendation is 8 ounces twice a day. It is always suggested to drink coconut water in its natural form without adding any external ingredients.
[ Read: Coconut Water for Weight Loss ]
Hope you enjoyed the write-up and understood the importance of coconut water in diabetes patients. Leave us your comments below.
- How To Use Coconut Water For Hair Growth?
- 15 Best Benefits and Uses Of Coconut Milk For Skin, Hair and Health
- 7 Disadvantages Of Coconut Water You Should Be Aware Of
- How Does Coconut Oil Help Prevent Hair Loss?
- Top 10 Health Benefits and Uses Of Virgin Coconut Oil
Latest posts by Shruti Goenka (see all)
- Does Metformin Help You Lose Weight? - March 24, 2014
- Create Your Own Maybelline Makeup Kit With These 10 Amazing Products - March 18, 2014
- Top 5 Ayurvedic Products For Increasing Height - March 15, 2014
- 10 Pictures Of Emma Stone Without Makeup - March 15, 2014