When I think of Ginger, it is the picture of ginger ale and the many Asian delicacies that come flooding to my mind. There is nothing as refreshing as a chilled mug of ginger ale on a hot sunny day, is there? Oh Boy, was I surprised when I read an article on how ginger benefits weight loss. While it goes without saying that every ounce that we put into our mouth unless burnt turns to fat, this herb can, in fact aid in weight reduction. Let me tell you how.
4 Effective Benefits Of Ginger For Weight loss:
Let us have a look at the below points to know how to use ginger for weight loss:
1. Increases Ph Levels In The Stomach:
This spice often finds its way in many Indian dishes. According to various studies, ginger when consumed in moderation, has the ability to increase the pH levels in the stomach. When the pH levels in the body go up, it secrets digestive enzymes, thus breaking the food you eat sooner. Also rich in fiber, Ginger increases gastrointestinal motility. This means that the nutrients needed by the body is absorbed quickly and those not needed are expelled and do not get stored in the body. When the bulking parts of the food you take is digested and assimilated quickly, the body does not store fat.
2. Enhances Satiety:
Many of you, especially women who spend a good deal of time at home, have the tendency to bite into small snacks throughout the day! And where do all those calories go? Yes, right down to the waistline! Ginger is said to have an effect on the feeling of satiety. A spoonful of this herb is said to curb the urge to binge. You feel full, you eat less! And your weight is in check!
3. Boosts Energy Levels:
A spoon of ginger is perhaps all that you need to kick start your day. It has an effect similar to caffeine. By ingesting barely 2 gm a day, your energy levels are bound to spike up, thus facilitating longer spells in the gym!
4. Improves Metabolism:
Latest studies on this herb suggest that this root has not just cholesterol reducing properties, but also acts as a thermogenic agent and helps burn fat in the body! In fact, many naturopaths use ginger as an active ingredient in the many concoctions that they prepare to combat obesity. By ingesting a spoonful of ginger each day after breakfast, you can up the metabolism of your body by a good 20%. When the metabolism of the body improves, some of the fat that is stored in the body is burnt. This directly translates to weight loss and better health.
[ Read: Foods To Boost Your Metabolism ]
Other Benefits Of Ginger:
Apart from the weight reduction, ginger also help to:
- Reduce cholesterol levels
- Monitor triglyceride levels
- Exhibit anti cancer properties
- Treat gastroentital disorders
- Prevent formation of blood clots
- Reduce joint pain
- Keep osteoarthritis at bay
Now that you know the usefulness of this root, it is important to know how much of this herb you can safely ingest every day. While there is no standard dose that you must stick to, it is suggested to limit the maximum intake to 4 grams a day. Pregnant women, however, are best benefited by the taking 1 gram of this herb a day.
[ Read: Ginger Tea For Losing Weight ]
Word Of Caution:
This root helps to lose weight along with providing other health benefits. But one must be cautious if he/she is going through the below mentioned conditions:
- Those who suffer from diabetes, serious heart ailments and bleeding disorders must refrain from consuming ginger on a daily basis.
- It also is prudent to remember that this herb must never be combined with anti-coagulants, such as asprin or warfrain to prevent excessive bleeding.
- On the same lines, the herb must not be combined and consumed with diabetic medication as there is the risk of the blood sugar levels dropping dramatically and causing hypoglycemia.
- When you are on prescription drugs for hypertension, do not eat ginger as it may precipitate to hypo-tension.
- Do not give ginger to children below 2 years of age.
This herb is a relatively safe and harmless ingredient that can certainly aid in weight loss. In fact, FDA corroborates that this root can be ingested dry or in its natural form to treat weight loss without the fear of any side effects. A few sensitive people may experience mild side effects, such as heartburn, irritation in the mouth, and belching in the first few days of consumption. If you experience such type of feeling, stop using it. If you are one of those looking for a natural way to bring down your weight, bring home this herb! Drink it in a cuppa tea, or just chew a small piece of it before breakfast, you will be amazed at the transformation you see in yourself within a few weeks! Did you know about the weight reduction property of ginger? Have you ever tried ginger for weight loss? Do share your experience with us in the comments section below.
- How To Use Ginger Tea For Losing Weight?
- 10 Dangerous Side Effects Of Ginger
- 28 Surprising Benefits Of Ginger (Adrak) For Skin And Health
- 14 Amazing Benefits Of Ginger Powder For Skin, Hair And Health
Latest posts by Renold Rajan (see all)
- Why Should You Use Coconut Oil For Tanning? - September 2, 2015
- Beware! 10 Side Effects Of Lemon Myrtle Tea - August 31, 2015
- Stillman Diet: The What, The How And The Why - August 17, 2015
- How To Use Apple Cider Vinegar For Spider Veins - August 17, 2015
- 10 Best Vipassana Meditation Centres In India - August 17, 2015