Does your back fat make you feel bad about yourself? Aren’t you able to wear that favorite backless gown of yours because of this? Back fat is a common issue amongst many, and sometimes even creates a problem with one’s posture.
So, how can you get rid of back fat? There are certain exercises that are both simple and effective in removing back fat. These exercises range from plyometric exercises, Pilates to yoga poses, and you can choose the one you are comfortable with in order to say goodbye to back fat once and for all!
Want to remove your back fat as soon as possible? Then delay no more and read this post!
1. Bird Dog Crunches:
- Get on your hands and knees on the floor in what is called a quadruped or ‘Dog’ position.
- Take your right arm straight out and extend your left leg straight behind you.
- Do a crunch by bringing your knee and elbow to meet each other.
- Extend them back to the starting position and then repeat.
This exercise works on your lower back and midriff simultaneously.
[ Read: Yoga Asanas To Reduce Belly Fat ]
2. Spinal Balance Exercise Using Swiss Ball:
- Lie across a Swiss ball on your stomach, balancing yourself by engaging the muscles in your back. Roll forward and straighten your body until you are parallel to the floor.
- Hold, with no contact with the floor whatsoever. If unable to do so, you can place your feet against a wall for better stability.
Tips For Doing The Exercise:
- Make sure that you keep your feet together and your gaze forward while doing this exercise.
- A beginner can start by doing these by keeping his or her hands on the floor and balancing on the Swiss ball.
- Slowly start putting less pressure on your hands until your index fingers are all you need to hold yourself up. Then try to take them away as well.
The Spinal balance exercise works your lower back as well as your core at the same time.
3. Kettlebell Swings:
- Stand with feet wide apart with the kettlebell on the ground in front of you.
- Bending forwards, hold the kettlebell handle with both hands and come into a standing position with your arms straight in front of you.
- Bend your knees slightly and swing the kettlebell between your legs and out in front of you, till the level of your chest.
The Kettlebell swing targets upper back fat.
4. Cheerleader Raise:
- Stand with your feet hip-distance apart.
- Hold a dumbbell on your side with your right hand.
- Keep the left hand on your hip.
- Raise the dumbbell above your head.
- Raise the left knee towards the right elbow. This will ensure a good stretch and also provide calorie burn.
This exercise will raise your heart rate and targets the shoulders and trims the excess flab from your upper back.
5. Cobra Pose:
- Lie face-down on a yoga mat with your arms at your side. Keep your palms facing down.
- Keeping your abs and ‘glutes’ stretched, lift your chest off the floor while inhale slowly, making sure that your navel remains in touch with the ground.
- Simultaneously raise your arms and back backwards, with your palms facing upwards.
- At the same time, lift your legs a few inches off the floor.
- Remain in the pose for a count of 3 and come back to the beginning position by exhaling. Aim for 8 to 10 repetitions.
The Cobra exercise for back fat targets upper back muscles.
[ Read: Simple Ways To Get Rid Of Back Fat ]
6. Dumbbell Shoulder Shrug:
- Stand with your feet wide open. Keep your arms by your sides.
- Lift a five-pound dumbbell in your hand. Keep palms pointing towards each other.
- Shrug your shoulders toward your ears while holding the dumbbells.
- Hold the shrug for three counts and lower your shoulders.
- Repeat 8 to 10 times.
The Dumbbell Shoulder Shrug targets upper back as well.
7. Cat And Cow Pose:
- Position yourself on a yoga mat with your hands and knees touching the mat.
- Lift head up while inhaling slowly. At the same time, make your back in a concave shape.
- Exhale slowly, contract your abs, bring your head down, and round your back.
- Sit down on mat on your heels.
- Drop chest to ground and place forehead on the floor, arms in front of you and rest.
- This is a relaxation pose.
- Repeat the whole cycle (Cow pose followed by Cat pose and Child’s pose) 6 times.
Releases tension in the back. It also strengthens and tones the lower back.
8. The Superman Pose:
- Begin by lying down straight on the mat on your stomach. Keep your feet and arms spread out.
- Now, lift up your right arm, followed by your left leg. Simultaneously, lift your head three inches off the ground. Keep your abs and glutes squeezed in.
- Hold this for 3 seconds. Release by bringing your head, arm and leg down.
- Switch to the other side. Along with your head, lift your left arm and right leg this time.
- This completes 1 rep.
- Repeat 8 to 10 times.
This is an excellent exercise to reduce back fat. The ‘Superman’ works your ‘erector spinae’ muscles and strengthens the back muscles around your spine.
9. Floor Exercise For Back:
- Lie on your back with your knees bent, and your feet spread out.
- Arch your back and point your pubic bone towards your feet.
- Hold for 5 seconds. Relax and flatten your back. While doing this pull your bellybutton towards the floor.
- Hold for 5 seconds and then relax. Repeat.
- Start with 5 repetitions each day. Build up to 30.
This exercise improves your posture and makes your back stronger.
[ Read: Exercises To Reduce Side Fat ]
10. Rows Using Dumbells:
Method Of Doing Single-Arm Dumbbell Row:
- Rest your knee and right hand on a bench/exercise ball. Simultaneously, draw your left arm holding a dumbbell above your head.
- Remember to keep your back flat.
- Complete 8 to 12 reps.
Start with a small weight and build up slowly. Trying to do this back fat exercise with heavy weights can strain your muscles, instead of toning them.
This back fat exercise works your ‘latissimus dorsi’ muscles, better known as your lats, which extend down to the sides of your back.
The Importance Of Core And Strength Exercises In Reducing Fat From The Back:
Keep up the core exercises as these will strengthen your abs as well as the core that consists of obliques, abs, and muscles of the back.
We suggest that you try basic exercises that include cross crunches, Pilates and plank exercises for toning these muscle groups. And for a fat-blasting effect, you must go in for cardio exercises like kick boxing, swimming, and rowing. This way, not only will you lose fat from all over your body and also your back, but will also improve posture along with toning both upper and lower back, smoothening the bulges or at least making them less noticeable.
No back fat burning workout is complete without including strength training exercises like dumbbell shrugs that we have talked about here, and the dumbbell bent –over exercises that zap bra overhang. Pull-ups and push-ups are also other good options.
What About Liposuction?
We would never suggest spot reduction of fat from the upper back. Liposuction works for just a short time and then the fat just comes back.
Healthy Diet For Losing Excess Flab:
The benefits of a healthy diet can also not be overrated. So, cut back on your daily calorie intake by choosing healthy fruits and vegetables, lean meats and complex carbs instead of junk food or simple carbs. Complex carbs are multi-grains and simple carbs are the sweetened drinks that we crave for.
Replace red meat with fish or chicken. Why? Because fish comes packed with healthy omega-3 fatty acids that increase your metabolic rate. This means that the calories we consume as food are not stored as fats in our bodies. Other foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids include flaxseed, olive oil, beans and walnuts.
Last but not the least, drink plenty of water to keep yourself hydrated and to work the digestive track. Water will also give you a feeling of satiety and keep you away from unhealthy snacking.
When it comes to improving fitness, the best time to start is now. Remember, you can’t get rid of your body and back fat in a few days, so have patience and stick to our easy-to-follow exercises to reduce back fat for at-least a month to take a giant leap towards your fitness goals.
Do feel free to drop us a line if you want to share stories of your success along the way! Comment in the box below!
- 3 Simple Ways To Get Rid Of Back Fat
- 3 Simple Ways To Lose Upper Back Fat In A Week
- 10 Effective Exercises To Reduce Side Fat
- Top 12 Yoga Asanas To Reduce Belly Fat
- 10 Minute Fat-Burning Abs Workout
Latest posts by Vineetha (see all)
- 10 Effective Physical Therapy Exercises To Treat Shoulder Pain - February 10, 2015
- 10 Effective Exercises To Reduce Back Fat - January 31, 2015