Toned arms, sculpted sexy back, and firm breasts—sounds impossible? With a proper workout regime, the dream body can now be yours!
10 Best Upper Body Exercises For Women:
Here are the 10 best upper body exercises for women that target your arms, shoulders, back and chest. These moves are not only going to tone, sculpt, and carve your muscles but will also make you stronger!
1. Dumbbell Punches:
A very good warm-up exercise that works for all the muscles in your arms and prepares them for a good strength training session. It is also a cardio move that heats up the body.
- Lift the dumbbells, one in each hand and place them near your shoulder with your elbows sticking to your sides.
- Now alternately punch that dumbbell out by straightening the elbow.
- Do this for 1-2 minutes.
2. Bent Over Front Raise:
One of the best moves for a sexy back and toned arms that experts swear by! It works on the upper and lower back, shoulders, chest, biceps, and triceps.
- Squat a little and bend as low as you can and get up without curling your back.
- Hold a dumbbell in each hand in straight arms in front of you.
- Lift the arms and take them overhead. Do not change your posture and do not bend your elbows.
- Bring the arms down and repeat the move for 12-15 counts.
3. Bent Over Lateral Raise:
This exercise opens up the chest and works on those pecs. It also tightens the upper back muscles and tones the triceps.
- Start in the same position as the Front Raise.
- Lift a dumbbell in each hand with your arms in front of you. Keep the dumbbells facing each other and elbows slightly bent.
- Now, lift the arms to the sides in such a way that your arms make a straight line with your shoulders.
- Bring the arms down and do 12-15 reps.
[ Read: Exercises To Strengthen Your Lower Body ]
4. Triceps Kickbacks:
The fat that gets accumulated around the triceps results in bingo wings and really makes wearing those sexy tanks very difficult. Focusing bon that fat Triceps Kickbacks offers us amazing triceps.
- Begin with standing straight in an erect posture with your back flat. Hold a dumbbell in each hand.
- Now, bring your right leg forward bending the knee a little and push most of your weight on that foot.
- Keep the back leg straight.
- Now bend forward a little and put your right hand on your right knee and your left hand bent at your side with your elbow pointing back.
- Kick that left dumbbell back by straightening your elbow.
- Bring it back and do 12-15 reps.
- Repeat with the other arm.
5. Renegade Rows With Dumbbells:
Intermediary to advanced move, the Renegade Rows burn the arm fat and tightens the core. Those who find it difficult to do with dumbbells, can begin by doing it without any weights. Beginners can also do it with dumbbells, but on their knee to make it less challenging.
- Start in the push up position with each of your hand gripping a dumbbell placed on the floor.
- Lift one dumbbell and raise it while twisting your body to the side slightly. Take the dumbbell back as far as you can. Balance yourself on the other leg and arm.
- Lower it down and repeat with the other side.
- Do 15 reps.
6. Overhead Press:
Over head Press targets the shoulder and upper back.
- Stand by keeping your abs tight, spine straight and shoulder blades rolled back.
- Grip a dumbbell in each hand and put your arms out in a straight line with your shoulders. Then bend them at the elbows with your forearms parallel to your head.
- Raise the dumbbell straight overhead.
- Bring it down to the previous position.
- Do 15 presses.
[ Read: Exercises To Strengthen Your Shoulders ]
7. Upright Row:
Upright Rows target the fat on your back and opens up the chest.
- Stand with knees slightly bent and lean forward with your back straight.
- Place the dumbbells, one in each hand in front of you.
- Lift the dumbbells up like you are pulling something towards you. Pull until the dumbbells are near your chest and your elbows make a straight line with your shoulders.
- Push it back down and do 15 reps.
8. Russian Twist With Kettlebell:
Here is another exercise for upper body. This move works on the whole of your upper body – core, arms and back. Use a kettle bell of whatever weight you prefer or you can even use a heavy dumbbell.
- Sit upright with your back straight and legs stretched on the floor in front of you.
- Bend your knees and lift your calves up in such a way that your calves are parallel to the ground.
- At the same time, tilt your back slightly backwards and balance yourself on your tush.
- Tighten all the muscles in your body to make the balance easier.
- Now hold a kettlebell in the center near your chest.
- Twist to your right and take the kettlebell to that side. Return to the center and repeat it for the left side.
- Do 15-20 reps.
[ Video: Upper Body Workout For Women ]
9. Plank With Arm Curl:
This move is a combination of isometric and isotonic exercise. The plank tightens the muscles in the entire body, especially the core. And at the same time the curls strengthen the arms, specifically targeting the biceps.
- Get into the plank position with back straight and abs tight.
- Place the dumbbells on the floor and grip one in each hand. Settle your toes firmly into the ground to maintain the balance.
- Balance yourself on one arm and toes and do a bicep curl with the other arm.
- Lower that arm and repeat on the other side.
- Do 20 reps.
[ Read: Effective Bench Exercises To Strengthen ]
10. Triceps Extension:
Triceps Extension works on the triceps in a concentric manner. It also works on the biceps and upper back muscles.
- Begin with by standing in the erect posture and tighten the core.
- Hold a dumbbell or a kettlebell in both your hands and raise it straight overhead.
- Now lower it behind your head by bending your elbows.
- Return to the original position by straightening your elbows.
- Do 15 reps.
These exercises build muscles and strength in the upper body. Eat a protein rich post-workout meal after doing these exercises. The right way to set an upper body routine would be to alternate upper body routines with the lower body routines to build integrated strength and make the whole body stronger.
So, what are you waiting for? Get-set-go towards a fitter body today!
Was this article helpful? Share your feedback with us in the comments section below.
- 9 Effective Chest Exercises And Their Benefits For Women
- 10 Muscle Toning Exercises For Women
- Top 10 Weight Training Exercises For Women And Their Benefits
- 10 Effective Exercises To Strengthen Your Lower Body
Latest posts by Sakshi Gupta (see all)
- 10 Effective Exercises To Reduce Side Fat - January 31, 2015
- Is Metformin Effective For Weight Loss? - December 29, 2014
- 10 Amazing Health Benefits Of Using An Exercise Cycle - December 29, 2014
- 50 Best Weight Loss Exercises You Can Try - October 28, 2014
- 9 Unexpected Side Effects Of Figs - October 22, 2014