Being a broad-shouldered girl, my arms have always been the biggest trouble zone for me. All the more troubling because I just love tank tops! And who doesn’t? Summers mean skirts, dhotis, shorts—all with tanks! But how many of us shy away from sleeveless tops and tanks because of our flabby arms? And how many of us actually workout, but don’t have or don’t want to use dumbbells all the time? Though I love my dumbbells and kettlebells, my love for bodyweight exercises for arms is more.
Top 10 Ten Best Arm Exercises Without Weights:
Here are given top 10 arm exercises for women at home without weights that will sculpt those bingo wings into oh-so-sexy hot guns. All you need is your mat and YOU!
1. Triceps Step Ups:
Triceps step up, also called plank up and down can be used in a pilates workout as well as a HIIT one. It works on your arms and also beats that bra fat and bulges.
- Start in the plank position with arms straight.
- Bend your elbow and come into the half-plank by putting down your forearms first left, then right.
- Now straighten your arms R-L into the original position.
Rev up the speed and do as many times as you can.
2. Half-Cobra Push-ups:
This is an amazing exercise that will get rid of all that flab in no time!
- Lie down on your stomach with your elbows back and close to your body and hands on either side of your chest.
- Push yourself up engaging your triceps muscles into a half-cobra position, with your chest lifted above the ground while the bellybutton is still touching the ground.
- Make sure when you push yourself up, you use your arms and not the torso and hip area
- Hold the position for 2 second and then return to starting position.
3. Single-leg Triceps Dips:
Single-leg tricep dips is one of the best things you can do for your arms. Trust me, this move is amazing. It is simple and effective.
- Get into the tabletop position with your hand and feet on the ground and body lifted high in the air.
- Now lift one leg, straighten it with your ankle pointing outwards.
- Lower your booty to the ground bending at your elbows and lifting the leg into the air.
- Do 10 reps and then lower the leg and repeat it for the other side.
It will leave those triceps burning!
4. Inverse Plank Leg Lifts:
This arm exercise without weights works on the arms, glutes and abs.
- Get into the inverse plank position. Body raised into a straight line with only point of contact to the ground being palms and heels
- Make sure your arms are locked into the position. Balance all your weight on your arms. Engage those abdominal muscles all the time.
- Now lift one leg high in the air depending on your flexibility, and then lower it and do the other side.
- Alternate the move on each side and repeat at least 10 times on each leg.
5. Pike Push Ups:
The Pike Push Ups work on the shoulders, back muscles and your triceps.
- Get into the downward dog position, raising your butt as high as you can.
- Now push your body down through the shoulder, really squeezing those shoulder blades, to the point where your head is just hovering over the ground.
- Now get back into downward dog position and stretch those arms back.
Repeat it for minimum 15 times.
Walkout push up is a more engaging version of our old school elbow out push ups.
- Stand straight with your abs tight and shoulders rolled back. Keep that chest pushed out.
- Now bend and walk your hands forward lowering your body into the pushup position.
- Do your pushup. Now if you cannot do a pushup with your legs straight, lower your knees to the ground and do the knee push up.
- Walk back into the standing position.
This move works on your whole body while focusing on your arms. Start with doing it for 1 minute and then slowly increase your time and reps.
7. Tabletop Swings:
It is a fun move that will remind you of all that childhood swing. It is a cardio move, where speed matters. So, do it as fast as you can and as long as you do not compromise with the form.
- Lift your whole body off the ground except your hands and foot like a tabletop, as shown in the above picture.
- Now bring down your booty and swing it back past those arms.
- Balance the weight of your body all the while on your arms.
- Now swing back to the original position.
This exercise is full of fun and at the same time effective !
8. Plank Rotation:
- Come into the plank position; body straight in a line, abs tight, arms tight and elbows locked.
- Now lift your body into a side plank; heel on heel and one arm straight reaching to the sky and the other locked tight into position.
- Return to the plank and do the other side.
The plank rotations can be done in two ways – slow and fast.
- When you do it slow, you got to hold that position for minimum 8sec and really feel the breath; try reaching as far back as you can, expanding, opening up that chest and squeezing those shoulder muscles. Increase your range of motion; and flex your horizon nicely and slowly.
- While doing it fast you are turning the rotations into a cardio move. While that slow version would be toning up those muscles and will make you stronger, the cardio version will burn off the fat and boost your metabolism. End the reps in the fast version by holding the pose for 5 seconds on each side for one rep.
9. Spiderman Push Ups:
This move works your biceps and triceps along with your glutes down there.
- Start in the plank/push up position. Keep your abs tight and involved.
- Put one hand out to the side reaching as far as you are comfortable; and then lift your leg at the same time.
- Now bending your elbows go down in a pushup, at the same time bending that leg and touching that knee to the elbow.
- Beginners, or those who cannot balance while lifting their leg completely, should bend that knee and put that foot near the hand and do the pushup.
- Return to the original position and do it for the other side.
Start with 10 on each side. You can increase the reps according to your level.
10. Dive Bombers:
This arm workout without weights again works your arms, butt as well as abs.
- Start in the downward dog position, with your arm shoulder-width apart, belly-button tucked in, abs tight and butt high in the air.
- Bend the elbows, arms out in a straight line with the shoulders, moving downward into the cobra pose.
- Make sure your knees and torso are not touching the ground, and rise as high as you can. Keep your head looking straight and do not arch your neck backwards.
- Flow back into the downward dog position.
Repeat this move at least 10 times.
Points To Remember:
There are some pointers that you need to remember while indulging in these exercises:
- Remember to breathe right through every move. Inhale every time you start doing an exercise and then just keep alternating throughout.
- Warm up and stretching exercises are important. Make sure you start any routine with a nice warm up – for example, (a) full arm circles, big and loosening up the muscles of arms, shoulders, upper back, chest, really reaching high and out, (b) forearm circles, draw nice footballs in the air, rotating through the elbows clockwise as well as anticlockwise, (c) wrist rotation, make mini golf-ball size circles in both directions. End every routine with a nice stretch like doing gomukhasan.
- Spot reduction doesn’t happen. You have to workout your whole body to get desirable results. These bodyweight exercises become important because these exercises tone, sculpt and strengthen your target spots. At the same time it works on other minor muscles.
- Keep all the moves progressive. What I suggested here are the beginners’ reps. You can increase your rep numbers or time limit according to your level of fitness and stamina. The idea is to constantly challenge your body. So it is okay if you cannot lift your leg straight. Do as much as you can while at the same time push your limits slowly but steadily.
- In all the above arm exercises without weights, holding the position continuously is important. So if you get tired while doing the spider man push ups, don’t just lie down flat on the ground. Make plank your rest position i.e., take a breath for a couple of minutes holding the plank and then start being the spiderman again.
Say good Bye to arm-jiggle with these fun exercises and get a stronger and fitter you.
Was this article helpful? Do share your feedback with us in the comments section.
Latest posts by Sakshi Gupta (see all)
- 10 Effective Exercises To Reduce Side Fat - January 31, 2015
- Is Metformin Effective For Weight Loss? - December 29, 2014
- 10 Amazing Health Benefits Of Using An Exercise Cycle - December 29, 2014
- 50 Best Weight Loss Exercises - October 28, 2014
- 9 Unexpected Side Effects Of Figs - October 22, 2014