We all want to be in shape. Curves are in, after all! But what we all need is a fit body and that includes our hips.
I have always worked a little extra hard on my butt. A shapely buttock is something that can make or break a body hugging dress. The good news is that you can now get ‘Jennifer Lopez’ like buttocks too! All you need to do is make hip thrusts your best friend!
How To Do Hip Thrusts?
Hip thrusts are also known as pelvic thrusts and bridge dips. The standard hip thrusts do not need any equipment, but you can intensify the move by adding dumbbells or barbell if you want to challenge yourself.
To do the standard, basic hip thrust exercise correctly, follow the instructions given below:
The Starting Position:
- Lie down on the ground on your back with your knees bent and feet flat on the floor.
- Make sure your neck is in relaxed position and your lower back is pressed into the floor.
- Keep your arms at your sides with your fingers pointing towards your lower body.
[ Read: Scoliosis Exercises And Their Benefits ]
- Now, lift your hips towards the ceiling as high as you can without raising your feet or shoulders off the floor.
- Try to get a straight line from the shoulders to the knees.
- Squeeze your butt cheeks together when your thrust your hips up.
- Lower your hips down.
Start with 12 thrusts in a row. If you are a beginner then you can lower your tush down to the floor. But if you want to challenge yourself a little, then do not touch the floor when you come down. Lower down as low as you can get without touching the floor and then thrust back up.
There are many variations of hip thrusts, which not only increase the challenge, but also vary according to the muscles they target.
Variation 1 – Hip Thrusts With Leg Lift:
In this variation, you are not only working out your glutes, but also your lower abs, quads, hamstrings and inner thigh muscles.
- Lie down on your back with your feet pressed into the floor.
- Now, lift your right leg straight up. This is your starting position.
- Now, lift your hips up as high as you can. Imagine as if you are pushing something up with your leg.
- Then lower down towards the floor.
- Do 12 repetitions and then repeat with the other leg.
Variation 2 – Barbell Hip Thrusts:
For this variation, you need a bench and a barbell. The added weight intensifies the work your glutes have to do. It is one of the best exercises to build bigger and better butt.
- Sit on your butt with your feet flat on the ground in a medium to wide stance.
- Place a bench just behind you with your scapulae touching it.
- Your barbell should be placed just above your pubic bone and that is where it should remain throughout the exercise.
- Now, lift your hips up until you get the full hip extension with your knees above the toes, shins vertical on the floor and your body making a line from knees to shoulders.
- Keep your abs tight, do not let the barbell roll and most importantly do not lift your chest or ribcage upwards. Let them remain on the bench.
- Lower your hips down and try to do 10 reps.
[ Read: Abdominal Exercises For Women ]
Benefits Of Hip Thrust Exercises:
Hip thrusts target your glutes specifically and at the same time work on the lower abs, quadriceps, hamstrings and even your calves. It is especially important for those who want to increase their butt size as it helps in maximizing the glute size and at the same time improve their speed and endurance. It also strengthens your lower back muscles and helps in decreasing lower back pain.
So if you want the buns that are ‘bootylicious’, then hip thrusts are your go-to move! Go for it!
Do you have a special move for your butt? Does it include hip thrusts? Share with us in the comments section.
- 16 Effective Butt Exercises For Toned Buttocks
- 6 Donkey Kick Exercises For Firmer Buttocks
- These 7 Remedies Are All You Need For Those Slim Hips And Thighs!
- 10 Effective Home Remedies To Get Rid Of Hip Bursitis
- How To Lose Weight From Hips?
Latest posts by Sakshi Gupta (see all)
- 10 Effective Exercises To Reduce Side Fat - January 31, 2015
- Is Metformin Effective For Weight Loss? - December 29, 2014
- 10 Amazing Health Benefits Of Using An Exercise Cycle - December 29, 2014
- 50 Best Weight Loss Exercises You Can Try - October 28, 2014
- 9 Unexpected Side Effects Of Figs - October 22, 2014