Not many of us know that persistent back pain is a possible symptom of kidney stones, infection or other kidney problems. Back pain due to kidney problems is felt between the last rib and buttocks. It is usually felt on one side as a sharp, severe pain that comes and goes in waves. Sometimes this kidney pain extends into one’s groin and hip and is also associated with other symptoms like pain while urinating, chills, fever, and blood in urine.
So, what do you do if you come across these symptoms? We advise that you waste no time and rush to your doctor as pain in kidney must not be taken lightly. We are also going to be listing down 15 home remedies that you can use along with your medication and after getting the nod from your doctor.
Home Remedies For Kidney Pain:
1. Keep Yourself Hydrated:
Drinking an optimum amount of water is perhaps the best way of preventing as well as getting rid of kidney stones. These stones form in the ureter, a thin tube in between your kidneys and urinary bladder. The water you drink helps in stopping the formation of kidney stones by diluting your urine. This way, the minerals and salts in urine don’t deposit in the ureters, stopping kidney stone formation. Water, as we know, also removes toxins from your body, preventing a number of diseases. If you are getting kidney pains, we suggest that you drink about 2 liters of H2O per day as this has been known to lessen kidney pain.
Remember, you need half your body weight of water in ounces for optimum health. So if you weigh 160 lbs, you need to drink at least 80 ounces of water a day. And this does not include beverages like tea or coffee, carbonated drinks or juices. In fact, drinks like tea and coffee dehydrate you. So, if you have a cup of coffee, you have to compensate by 16 ounces of water to break even.
What you should be careful about is that the water should be clean and filtered. The time to drink water is just as your back pain starts. Usually people can recognize the symptoms of kidney pain after they’ve had a few incidences of such sharp intense pain.
having lots of water is extremely useful in alleviating kidney pain caused due to kidney stones and infections but we would suggest that you have a word with your doctor and just not take recourse to water therapy to alleviate kidney pain.
2. Drink Fresh Lemon Juice:
The fact is that lemon juice is the best known remedies for both kidney stones and kidney pain. Why? It is because lemon, a citric fruit contains acetic acid which is very effective in breaking down and dissolving kidney stones.
Follow these steps to use lemon juice therapy for kidney pain:
- Always use fresh lemons to make juice for relieving kidney pain.
- Have fresh lemon juice after waking up on an empty stomach.
- Drink fresh lemon juice just as your kidney pain is starting. This can be prepared by mixing 4 spoons of lemon juice with water. You can expect relief in about 20 minutes.
- You can also add lemon juice to raw olive oil for treating kidney pain. All you have to do is mix together 4 spoons of lemon juice with 4 spoons of olive oil and drink.. But remember, you should have olive oil only if you can stomach it and do not feel nauseous after drinking it.
3. Take More Probiotics:
We would suggest that you include more probiotic foods in your diet as this increases healthy populations of friendly bacteria in your intestines that are linked to better overall and digestive health, as well as a long list of other benefits for kidneys. Probiotics assist kidneys in processing waste materials, as well as reduce the likelihood of developing kidney stones.
[ Read: Diets To Treat Kidney Infection ]
4. Eat Healthy Foods:
Eat more kidney-supportive foods like watermelon, berries like strawberries, apples, garlic, onions, cabbage, cauliflower, and olive oil.
5. Dandelion Tea:
The Dandelion herb is an excellent diuretic, which means that it increases the quantity and frequency of urination. It is this property of dandelion that makes it very effective in relieving kidney pain due to infections and stones as it helps flush out toxins from your kidneys effectively.
How To Make Dandelion Tea?
- Dandelion leaves (dried) – 1 to 2 tbsp.
- Water – 1 cup
- Steep the dandelion leaves in hot water for 15 minutes.
- Strain and drink.
- We suggest that you consume 3 cups of dandelion tea a day.
6. Watermelon Seed Tea:
Watermelon is an excellent diuretic. This is the main reason that Watermelon seed tea works wonders for patients facing kidney problems. The tea works by flushing out the kidneys and bladder. Watermelon tea has been known to stimulate under- active kidneys as well.
How To Make Watermelon Seed Tea?
- Ground Watermelon seeds – 1 tbsp.
- Water – 2 cups
- Boil water.
- Pour the hot water over watermelon seeds placed in a pot.
- Let the seeds steep.
- Allow infusion to cool down.
- Strain and drink.
You can drink this concoction once a day for 3 days in a week.
7. Celery Seed Tea:
The herb Celery is very effective remedy for kidney pain as it speeds up removal of waste materials from kidneys and is known to increase urine output. Apart from this, celery calms the stomach and is an extremely effective anti-flatulent. Celery essential oil is filled with anti-fungal properties and is thus effective against kidney infections.
How To Make Celery Seed Tea?
- Celery seeds- 1 tbsp.
- Hot water- 1 cup
- Ground celery seeds and place these in a vessel.
- Pour heated water over celery seeds.
- Allow the seeds to steep.
- Strain tea and drink.
- You can drink this concoction once a day for 3 days in a week.
Warning:Pregnant women should refrain from having celery seed tea as celery is a uterine stimulant.
8. Corn Silk Tea:
You may be experiencing painful urination if you have a kidney infection. If so, what home remedy can you use? Corn silk tea is known to relive this pain as its soothing action takes care of urinary tract problems. Corn silk is an excellent diuretic and has an innate quality to inhibit the growth of bacteria. Traditional herbal systems of healing have been using corn silk tea to treat painful kidney inflammation (1) and water retention(2)for years.
How To Make Corn Silk Tea?
- Corn silk strands- 1 tbsp.
- Hot water- 2 cups
- Put corn silk starnds in a pot.
- Pour hot, boiling water over them.
- Cover the pot and leave for around 12 minutes.
- Strain and drink.
- We recommend around 4 cups of corn silk tea, every day to get rid of kidney pain
9. Parsley Tea:
Parsley is a good diuretic which has been used since ancient times to treat kidney and urinary bladder problems. Herbalists recommend taking parsley tea and juice orally. A paste of the herb can also be applied over the kidneys to cut down on swelling and painful inflammation. Parsley works as a diuretic, flushing toxins out of your kidneys and as an ant-viral.
How To Make Parsley Tea?
- Fresh parsley
- Water- 4 cups
- Chop parsley.
- Boil water.
- Add chopped parsley to boiling hot water.
- Steep for 20 minutes.
- Wait for water to cool down. Strain and drink.
- Have 4 cups of parsley tea a day for a minimum of 7 days.
Warning: Don’t have parsley tea if you are expecting.
10. Cabbage Leave Poultice:
Cabbage is a veritable vegetable extraordinaire. It benefits almost every system in our bodies, including the excretory system. It is a well known fact that leaves of cabbage can push stagnant fluids out of our body tissues. Due to this, cabbage is used in treating scurvy, eczema, and gout. Its leaves are also used for application on wounds. Cabbage leaves are also effective in treating kidney pain when they are used in making a poultice.
How To Make Cabbage Leave Poultice?
- Cabbage leaves – 4
- Chopped Onions – 2
- Bran- 4 handfuls
- Put cabbage leaves, onions, water and bran in a pot and boil till all the water evaporates.
- Take the gauze and place the boiled ingredients on it.
- Apply this poultice to affected area for about half an hour.
11. Marshmallow Root:
Marshmallow root alleviates the symptom of painful urination because of the presence of mucilages (3) which soothe inflamed tissues. Marshmallow mucilages work in reducing pain while urinating by coating the urinary tract so as to protect against damage caused due to kidney stones.
You can use Marshmallow Root by making an infusion like this:
- Marshmallow root- 4 tbsp.
- Water- 1 litre
- Mason jar
- Put marshmallow root in the Mason jar and fill it with water.
- Let it soak overnight.
- Strain the water next morning to get a golden marshmallow infusion.
- Sweeten with honey and drink this throughout the day.
12. Magnesium And Castor Oil Packs:
Usage of this pack is an effective kidney pain remedy. Soak a woolen cloth with castor oil and place on the affected area. Alternate this pack with a wet cloth soaked in an Epsom salt solution. Carry on for about 2 hours and keep the area warm using a hot water bottle. Castor oil packs over kidneys encourage lymphatic drainage and helps the body to purge toxins. The pack encourages rapid clearance of toxins released from the kidneys.
Plantain, a common herb, is very effective against kidney pain due to its antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties which help relieve pain as well as burning and itching on urinating. It is also a mild diuretic and laxative. You can make plantain tea by steeping plantain seed, roots and leaves in warm water.
[ Read: Kidney Stones Diet ]
14. Uva Ursi:
Uva ursi, also known as bear berry, is a herb famous for curing urinary problems and bladder infections. This herb is extremely potent in treating E. coli infections, a bacteria which causes kidney and bladder infections. Making Uva ursi tea is easy. All you have to do is simmer a mixture of urva ursi leaves and water and drink.
Warning: Expectant mothers should stay away from this tea.
15. Mustard Plaster:
Mustard seed poultice made using mustard seed powder is great for treating kidney pain and irritation. Here’s how you can make mustard plaster at home:
- Mustard powder
- Wheat flour
- Water or egg white
- Mix mustard powder and flour together to reduce skin irritation.
- Add water or egg white to the mixture to make a thin paste. Egg white is used because it prevents blistering, making it better than water. Make sure that the paste is thin but not watery.
- Spread Vaseline over the affected area.
- Apply the mustard plaster.
- Leave for about 30 minutes.
Warning: Do not apply mustard plaster in children under 6 years of age.
These are the home remedies for kidney pain. But, we suggest that you take care of your kidneys by cutting back on phosphorous that is found in dangerous amounts in processed foods and carbonated drinks. Reduce your weight and quit smoking to up your kidney health and stay away from table salt and switch to the natural rock salt which is packed with healthy minerals.
We also implore you to post your comments and experiences here. We are always looking forward to your precious feedback. Best of luck and kidney health.
- Top 10 Effective Home Remedies To Flush Out Kidney Stones
- Top 10 Effective Home Remedies To Prevent Urinary Tract Infection
- 10 Effective Home Remedies To Treat Belly Button Infection
- 15 Effective Home Remedies For Treating And Relieving Jock Itch
Latest posts by Chetana (see all)
- KREA Easy Curler Pro Review - October 31, 2017
- What Happens 10 Minutes Before A Heat Stroke? - December 15, 2015
- Skin Gym Face Fitness For A Younger And Healthy Face - June 25, 2015
- 10 Best Health Benefits Of Chicory Root - June 24, 2015
- Is Coconut Oil An Effective Remedy To Treat Candida? - June 22, 2015