If you love Bob Harper and Jillian Michaels like I do, then plyometrics would be nothing new for you. I love them for their calorie burning capacity! These exercises are a must if you want to fast track your weight loss journey.
What Are Plyometric Exercises?
Plyometric exercises are also known as Jump Training and Plyos. In these exercises, muscles exert maximal force in a very short period of time. These exercises utilize the energy stored in the muscles. The concept was introduced first during the 1980s. It is an explosive form of training where the extension of muscles is immediately followed by contraction at a fast pace.
Benefits Of Plyometric Exercises:
Let’s have a look at the benefits of Plyometric Exercises:
- Plyometrics is a high-octane training system, which uses explosive amount of energy. This leads to improvement in speed as well as strength.
- It makes you more powerful. Speed and strength together equal power. Plyometrics works on both at the same time, resulting in increased latent power in the body.
- Athletes use plyometrics to improve their performance on the field. So, it is beneficial for those who want to improve their game.
- If you are training for a marathon, plyometric must be a part of your routine. It offers good endurance and conditioning training.
- Studies have shown that when eccentric contraction is immediately followed by a concentric contraction of muscles, the results are stronger and much better.
- Plyometric exercise are the effective calorie burners. These exercises are extremely effective in shedding the fat from the body.
- Most of the plyometric exercises provide workout for the entire body. All the major muscle groups are engaged while doing a plyometric exercise, which leads to integrated toning and strengthening.
- Plyometrics is beneficial for our cardiovascular system.
- It enhances stamina and agility.
- Plyometrics is great for HIIT workouts.
Top 5 Plyometric Exercises:
So, jump start your calorie incineration with these amazing plyo exercises:
1. Squat Jumps:
Squat jumps are different from the wide squat. These are also called Plyo squats. Warm up your quads, glutes and calves with 10-12 reps of regular wide squats at a normal pace. Then do 10 reps of squat jumps.
- Begin by standing straight, feet shoulder-width apart, shoulders rolled back, abs tight and belly button sucked into the spine.
- Bend your knees and squat until your thighs are parallel to the ground. Make sure your knees are above your ankles and your hip is pushed out.
- Applying force with your legs, push yourself upwards into a jump, straightening your body.
- Land softly into the squat position. This is one rep.
[ Read: Steps To Do Plié Squat Jumps ]
2. Sumo Squat Jumps:
This exercise is a variation of sumo squats or plié squat. It targets the inner thighs along with outer thighs, glutes, and abs. Warm up with 10 reps of a regular plié squat and hold the last rep for 10 seconds. Afterwards, do 10 reps of the sumo squat jumps.
- Start erect with your feet placed wider than shoulder width.
- Lower your hips while spreading your thighs wide with your knees in the opposite direction. Go as low as you can.
- Now push yourself up into a jump, straightening your body.
- Land softly into the sumo squat position. This will be one rep.
3. Power Skipping:
This exercise can be done with or without a rope. A variation of power skipping is high knee cross jumps.
- If you are using the skipping rope, then all you have to do is jump high and as fast as you can for 20-30 seconds.
- If you are doing power skipping sans the jumping rope, begin by standing straight, abs tight and shoulder pressed back. Position your hands as if you are holding a rope. Now jump high and fast for 20-30 seconds. Keep your hands moving in circular motion as if you are moving the rope.
- For high knee cross jumps, raise knees as high as you can, alternating the legs at a very fast pace.
[ Read: Effective Plank Exercises To Strengthen ]
4. Box Jumps:
- Stand in front of the box or stair or platform, with your back straight, shoulders rolled back and abs tight.
- Squat and jump onto the box.
- Drop jump back to the starting place.
5. Tuck Jumps:
Tuck jumps are one of the highest calorie burning moves. This fat melting move is great for shedding the belly fat and to get that fab abs.
- Stand straight with feet shoulder width apart.
- Jump up as high as you can, fold into yourself and try to tuck your knees into your torso.
- Land down softly on the ground.
- Do 10 reps of this.
- Make sure you exhale during the jumping motion and inhale during the landing move.
Word Of Caution:
Plyo moves are great for high intensity plyometric exercises. But remember that plyometrics are not for everyone.
- Don’t do it if it hurts.
- Also, you should not do a lot of plyo and plyometrics every day.
- Further, do not depend solely on plyo; mix it with calisthenics and isometrics to even out the workout. Warming-up and cooling down are essential in plyo training.
- It is important to gradually increase the intensity and level of the exercise instead of going all out at once.
Include these exercises into your workout to burn away those extra layers of fat and to make your body more powerful. The intensity and challenge of the workout can be increased by going as low as you can and jumping as high as you can. You can also add dumbbells. But don’t forget to talk to your trainer before you jump into plyometric exercises! He is the perfect person to guide you through your workout regimen.
Was this article informative? Share your views with us in the comments section below.
- Top 19 Isometric Exercises And Their Benefits
- 21 Effective Plank Exercises To Strengthen Your Body
- 4 Amazing Benefits Of Crab Walking Exercises On Your Body
Latest posts by Sakshi Gupta (see all)
- 10 Effective Exercises To Reduce Side Fat - January 31, 2015
- 10 Amazing Health Benefits Of Using An Exercise Cycle - December 29, 2014
- 50 Best Weight Loss Exercises - October 28, 2014
- 9 Unexpected Side Effects Of Figs - October 22, 2014
- What Are The Differences Between Yoga And Aerobic Exercises? - October 22, 2014