A workout equipment created by a Navy SEAL; an equipment that is limitless and endless in its range of application; an equipment used by military professionals, athletes and fitness trainers – doesn’t it sound like a wonder product? Well, it is! TRX suspension training is a wonderful system that will give your total body a burning workout and still be fun!
What Is TRX Suspension Training?
TRX stands for Total Body Resistance Exercise. Invented by a Navy SEAL, this workout system uses gravity and body weight to provide resistance for hundreds of exercises. The equipment, TRX Workout Suspension Trainer, consists of two adjustable nylon bands with sturdy handles attached to the ends. The other ends of these bands are attached to an immoveable anchor. The trainer can support up to 1400 pounds.
Top 10 TRX Workout Exercises:
Here are the top 10 complete TRX workout exercises to give you a total body workout:
1. TRX Lunge:
TRX Lunge targets your quadriceps and glutes while at the same time using your core muscles to stabilize you on one leg. To do this move the right way, follow the instructions enlisted below:
- Stand in front of the TRX trainer with your back towards it. Make sure there is an arm’s distance between you and the bands.
- Now put your left foot in the handle and settle it firmly.
- Lunge by bending your right knee. Keep your knee above your heels.
- Do 15 reps and change sides.
2. TRX Oblique Pike:
Oblique Pikes are very effective for your oblique muscles and toning the love handles. Combined with the stabilizing action of the core muscles, this TRX workout core move is one of the best for training your core. Perfect your Oblique Pikes by following these directions:
- Get into a plank and put your feet into the suspended handles.
- Keep your legs together and lift your hips and butt to the ceiling.
- Try to draw your feet towards your left side and crunch your left oblique.
- Then return to the center and back to the plank.
3. TRX Push Up:
TRX Push-up targets your triceps, biceps and your entire core. Since your feet are suspended in this variation of the push ups, it intensifies the traditional push-ups and gives you total body toning. To do this correctly, use the directions enlisted below:
- Get into the plank and put your feet one by one into the suspended handles.
- Keep your hands under your shoulders and your body in a straight line.
- Bend your elbows and press down into a push-up.
- Straighten your elbows and push up into the plank.
4. TRX Suspended Push-up:
This variation of push-ups targets your shoulders and chest as well as your lats. It is an advanced move which should be done only after you get through the normal push-up with a good TRX workout. Use the following directions to do them correctly:
- Stand facing away from the anchor and hold the handles in your hands in front of your chest. Keep your arms extended straight in front of you.
- Lower your chest towards handles in a push-up movement. Keep your back and knees straight throughout the movement.
- Press back to the starting position.
5. TRX Single-leg Pull-ups:
A total body integrated move, which strengthens your arms, shoulders, core, back as well as your legs and butt. Squeeze your muscles nicely to get that tight, toned booty. Use the directions given below:
- Lie on the floor on your back with your knees bent and feet flat on the floor.
- Lift yourself up on your hands and knees. Slowly extend one and then the other arm and grab the suspended handles.
- Now lift one leg up in the air and straighten that knee.
- Now pull yourself up by bending your elbows and lower down.
- Do 10 reps and change the legs for the next set.
6. TRX Mountain Climbers:
Mountain climbers is a total body cardio move, which gets further intensified by the suspension as most of your weight is bore by your arms. It will take the heart rate up and heat up the entire body. Here are your directions to do this TRX cardio workout correctly:
- Get into the plank position and place your feet into the handles. Keep your spine erect.
- Holding this position, bend your right knee and bring it toward the elbow. Then straighten that leg and bend your left knee at the same time.
- Do this for 15-20 seconds, alternating the legs. Then relax.
7. TRX Side Plank Dips:
A modification of side plank dips, it tones the oblique muscles and slims down the waist line. If you really want to take the challenge up a notch, straighten down the arm and then do the dips. Use your abs and core to stabilize you. Here are your directions to do it correctly:
- Get in to a side plank on your forearm. Place both your feet into the suspended handles one by one.
- Dip your hip to the floor and push up into the starting position.
- Do 15 reps on each side.
8. TRX Pendulum:
The pendulum is an intermediary move and one of the most common, but effective moves in TRX workout guide. It is a complete core strengthening and butt lifting move. During this move, most of your body weight is held by your arms, so it is an effective arm strengthener. Follow these directions to get this right:
- Get into a plank and place your feet in the handles.
- Bend your knees and bring them toward your chest.
- Shift your shins and try to reach your armpit with your knees.
- Alternating sides, do this for 15-20 seconds.
9. TRX Bicep Curl:
TRX bicep curl is a bodyweight exercise and is great for toning those biceps and also works on the triceps at the same time. Unlike your traditional bicep curls, TRX bicep curl works on your shoulders as well as your lats, thus targeting the entire upper body. Here are the directions to do this move:
- Stand facing the handles and grab the handles one in each hand. Lower yourself till you are making a 60 degree angle with the floor.
- Keep your arms extended in front of you straight and your feet firmly pressed into the ground.
- Now push yourself upwards by curling your arms towards your chest.
- Straighten the arms and return to the start position.
10. TRX Single-leg Squat:
This is an advanced move, which gets further intensified because of the TRX suspension. This isolated movement is a great strength exercise for the thighs and butts. The suspension helps with balance somewhat, but the actual work is done by your core stabilizers. Follow the directions enlisted below to get this move right:
- Stand facing towards the anchor at arms’ distance from the handles.
- Extend your arms in front of you and grab the handles.
- Lift one leg and squat down slow and deep with the other leg. Make sure you don’t lose your balance. Go as slow as you need.
- Straighten up and without lowering the lifted leg on the floor, do 10 reps.
- Do the alternate side 10 times also.
Benefits Of TRX Workout:
Let’s have a look at the benefits of TRX Workout plan:
- The TRX trainer gives an amazing total body workout as it works on multiple muscle groups at the same time during a single exercise.
- It helps in improving muscle coordination, flexibility, agility and balance.
- It is great for improving joint stability.
- The TRX trainer is an adjustable equipment. So you can adjust the level of intensity during your workout by adjusting your body position to add or decrease the resistance.
- As it is a resistance exercise, it is good for building and strengthening the muscles.
- TRX training is amazing for the core. The best thing about TRX training is that the core is always engaged, no matter what exercise you are doing. The core stabilizers are needed to stabilize your body for TRX exercises. Therefore, it becomes one of the best forms of core training.
- TRX training is versatile and flexible. You can experiment all that you want.
- The equipment is portable and needs little space. It can be packed and taken anywhere. All you need is a place for the anchor and the equipment can be set up anywhere – in the park, in a hotel room or in a gym, etc.
- Chances of injury are low with the TRX.
- It is great for all levels as the resistance level can be adjusted. It also helps you in pushing yourself past your limits.
So, these are the best TRX full body workout exercises that target your upper body, your abdominals and your lower body. TRX exercises are fun, effective, and have next to zero injury chances, once you make friends with the equipment. So, slowly introduce your body to this amazing calorie burner and keep challenging yourself onwards.
[ Read: Exercises To Strengthen Your Lower Body ]
Try the TRX workouts and build that hot and strong Navy SEAL type body!
Is this article helpful? Share your feedback with us in the comments section below.
- 21 Effective Plank Exercises To Strengthen Your Body
- 10 Effective Exercises To Strengthen Your Upper Body
- 5 Effective Deadlift Exercises To Strengthen Your Body
- 10 Wonderful Benefits Of Burpee Workout To Strengthen Your Body
- 10 Effective Calisthenics Exercises To Strengthen And Build Muscles
Latest posts by Sakshi Gupta (see all)
- 10 Effective Exercises To Reduce Side Fat - January 31, 2015
- The Science Behind Weight Loss For Women - December 29, 2014
- Is Metformin Effective For Weight Loss? - December 29, 2014
- 10 Amazing Health Benefits Of Using An Exercise Cycle - December 29, 2014
- 50 Best Weight Loss Exercises You Can Try - October 28, 2014