We all think that crunches are going to give us that perfect washboard abs, right? But the fact is that crunches alone can’t do anything to melt away layers of fat from your abs. The first step to a strong core is getting rid of all the belly flab. Twist exercises do exactly that. They target the fat and at the same time work on your core muscles. Twist exercises not only work on your upper and lower abdominals, but also works on the oblique muscles.
[ Read: Exercises And Workouts To Build Muscles ]
Types Of Twist Exercises:
So raise the volume of your music high and let’s start twisting our way to awesomesauce abs!
1. Russian Twist:
This is a full abdominal twist, which involves balancing, strength and isolation. It strengthens the core, cinches the waist and at the same time, strengthens your arms. You can do this exercise with a dumbbell or a kettlebell. If you are a beginner, then you can do it without any equipment.
- Sit on the floor with your feet flat on the floor and knees bent. Keep your back flat and abs tight. Grab your dumbbell or kettlebell.
- Now, lean back around 15 degrees with a strong back and a tightened core. Do not hunch your shoulders or crane your neck.
- Now, slowly lift your feet off the floor and raise your calves as high as you can or until they are parallel to the floor. If you are a beginner, do not lift your feet.
- The Movement – hold the dumbbell in both your hands. Twist and take the dumbbell first to one side, then back to the center. Then twist and take the dumbbell to the other side.
- Do 15 reps.
[ Read: Benefits Of Seated Russian Twist ]
Criss-Cross, also known as Bicycle Crush, is a crunch exercise that involves a twist. So you’re getting benefits from both the worlds. It targets your muscles, strengthens them and at the same time gives you a good cardio. A great way to attack that ab-flab!
- Lie flat on your back on the floor with your knees bent and feet on the floor. Keep your abs tight and lower back pressed into the ground.
- Put your hands behind your head, do not lace the fingers and lift your head and upper back off the floor.
- Now, lift both the feet off the floor and straighten your left leg while the right leg remains bent.
- The Movement – what you need to do is twist and touch your left elbow to the right knee. Then straighten the right leg and bend the left leg and twist and touch the right elbow to the left knee.
- Increase the speed and keep alternating the sides. Do as many as you can and do them fast. You can do 50-100.
Windmill is a great twist exercise for abs, obliques as well as the lower back. The supine twist is one of the great for your back. This move is very effective for shrinking your ever increasing waistline too.
- Lie flat on your back. Keep your shoulders and lower back pressed into the ground.
- Bend your knees and lift your feet off the floor until your calves become parallel to the ground.
- Now straighten your arms to the sides and press your palms flat into the floor.
- The Movement – twisting your spine take your bent legs to the left side. Try to reach the ground, but if you are not that flexible it’s all right, go as low as you can.
- Bring your legs back to the center and then twist to the other side.
- Keep alternating sides and do 10 on each side.
- Make sure you do not arch your back and your hands do not leave the ground.
4. Hip Twists:
This exercise is a must move to include in your workout regime. It targets your lower belly fat, totally hits the muffintop area and works on your core muscles. It cinches the waist like a corset.
- Get down in a plank, body in a straight line, arms straight, abs tight and shoulder blades back.
- Now bend your elbows and get down into a forearm plank.
- The Movement – Twist your hips and tap you right hip to the floor, twist again to the left side and tap the left hip to the floor. Keep alternating the sides for 1 minute.
[ Read: Simple Exercises To Reduce Belly Fat ]
5. Leg Circles:
Leg circles are amazingly effective in getting rid of that stubborn lower belly pooch. This exercise also s those irritating love handles and builds strong abs.
- Lie on the floor with your legs extended straight. Keep your abs tight and lower back pressed to the floor.
- Lift your legs straight up until they are perpendicular to the floor.
- The Movement – start making big circles with your legs joined together. Starting from the center, draw a circle by taking your legs to the left, then down and up to the right and back to the center.
- Do clockwise as well as anti-clockwise, 10 times each direction.
[ Read: Abdominal Exercises For Women ]
So, try these amazing twist exercises and build strong, rock-hard abs. The most amazing thing is that you can do a few hip twists and a few windmills even while watching TV—a win win situation if you ask me!
So, does your workout regimen include twists? Share with us in the comments section below.
- 4 Effective Ab Cruncher Exercises To Get Perfectly Toned Abs
- 4 Powerful Workouts To Tone Your Abs Faster
- 10 Effective Benefits Of Bridge Workout To Tone Your Abs
- Mother’s Day Special – How To Flaunt Scuplted Abs Like Britney?
Latest posts by Sakshi Gupta (see all)
- 10 Effective Exercises To Reduce Side Fat - January 31, 2015
- The Science Behind Weight Loss For Women - December 29, 2014
- Is Metformin Effective For Weight Loss? - December 29, 2014
- 10 Amazing Health Benefits Of Using An Exercise Cycle - December 29, 2014
- 50 Best Weight Loss Exercises You Can Try - October 28, 2014