Did you know that practicing simple yoga asanas can help you overcome Lupus? Well, as incredible as it may sound, it’s true! Read this post and find out about the asanas that might just help you treat Lupus at home.
What Is Lupus?
Lupus is an inflammatory disorder that usually reduces the efficiency of the immune system while attacking healthy tissues and organs. Lupus’ inflammation can severely damage the body. It usually affects skin, kidneys, heart, lungs, brain and the joints. Yoga is an effective home remedy for lupus, and it helps people relieve chronic pain (1).
The symptoms of lupus are quite diverse. It is often confused with other disorders. The most conclusive symptom of lupus is the presence of a butterfly-shaped rash on your cheeks (2).
Other symptoms usually associated with lupus include:
- Memory loss
- Chest Pain
- Dry/Irritable eyes
- Enlarged lymph nodes
- Joint pain
Lupus is a condition that has no known causes, although experts widely believe that lupus is the result of genetics and environment. The onset of lupus can also be triggered by drugs, infections, and even sunlight.
Now, let’s look at some effective yoga poses for treating lupus.
1. Viparita Karani:
This is a great pose for improving blood circulation and people with lupus problems usually perform this pose quite often.
How To Perform The Viparita Karani:
- Lie on the floor on your back, with your hands below your hips (your palms should be touching your hips).
- Now bending your elbows and taking their support, raise your body and lift your legs.
- Balance your body on your arms, and slowly raise your legs and your body. Support your back with your hands, and your body with your elbows.
- Consider adding cushions under your neck, a blanket under the back and another one under your heels.
- Hold this pose for around 5-10 minutes (3).
Apart from relieving the symptoms of Lupus, Viparita Karani has other benefits like:
- Blood flow regulation
- Alleviating menstrual cramps
- Relieves swollen ankles
- Improves digestive processes
- Calms anxiety
- Re-energizes your body
- Helps overcome insomnia and depression
2. Mountain Pose (Tadasana):
This is one of the most popular yoga poses to exist. The mountain pose or the Tadasana has many benefits, and it is quite helpful in relieving inflammation and pain caused by lupus.
How To Perform The Mountain Pose:
- Begin by standing straight and joining your legs.
- Keep your heel slightly apart.
- Keep your sole grounded.
- The hands should remain at the body’s side.
- Now fix your gaze forward and remain in this pose for 3-5 minutes.
- Rest and repeat (4).
Along with alleviating pain and inflammation caused by lupus, Tadasana has many other benefits, which include:
- Improving posture
- Strengthening lower body
- Helping increase awareness
- Regulating breathing
- Relieving sciatica
3. Camel Pose (Ustrasana):
Camel Pose or the Ustrasana is a great remedial exercise for lupus. Camel pose helps relieve congestion, and also helps people overcome rheumatic pain.
How To Perform The Camel Pose:
- Kneel down on a yoga mat or the floor.
- Let your hands rest by the body’s side.
- Begin bending back until you feel a stretch in your back.
- Try and hold onto your heels using your hands.
- Continue holding this pose for 10-15 seconds before you let go.
- Rest and repeat.
The camel pose has many benefits beyond simply helping you overcome lupus pain. The other benefits of the pose include:
- Relieves knee pain
- Stimulates thyroid gland
- Helps increase lung capacity
- Stimulates metabolic activity
- Improves respiratory health
- Enhances blood circulation
- Helps improve posture
So, practice these straightforward and simple asanas and get relief from Lupus and its associated symptoms today. Did you find this information helpful? Tell us about it below; leave a comment.
Latest posts by Ameya C (see all)
- 8 Facts About Washing Hands That You Don’t Want To Ignore - February 23, 2016
- 10 Best Essential Oils To Treat Hemorrhoids - July 23, 2015
- 5 Amazing Benefits Of Castor Oil Bath - June 12, 2015
- What Is Coachella Diet? - June 10, 2015
- Top 9 Foam Rollers For Runners - June 8, 2015