Hair loss is a common problem that many people experience. Hair primarily constitutes of proteins and amino acids and Eggs are power houses of proteins, vitamins and fatty acids that nourish the hair extensively. Egg is a great solution to most of the hair problems and they are easily available, inexpensive and are natural alternatives that can be used both internally and externally for hair growth. Eggs make the hair strong, prevent breakage, make them soft and help in their growth. While artificial products strip the hair off its natural oils, eggs help to restore the natural oils present in the hair and scalp. This is what makes the egg for hair loss and egg for hair fall remedies so popular.
Egg Facts: The word ‘egg’ is believed to come from an Indo European word which means ‘bird’. And ‘yolk’ is believed to come from an old English and Greek word which means ‘yellow’.
[ Read: Egg Protein Chart ]
Nutritional Benefits of Egg For Hair Growth:
Eggs contain all the major essential vitamins, minerals and proteins except Vitamin C. Eggs contain proteins that promote hair growth and condition the hair. Nutritional content of the egg is listed below:
Fatty Acids: The fatty acids present in the yolk helps in improving the skin on the scalp, thus fighting dandruff, flaky scalp and psoriasis. The egg yolk makes the hair glossy, shiny and smooth and prevents hair breakage and hair loss arising from it.
Lecithin: This fatty protein found in the egg yolk helps in reducing frizz and helps in making hair smooth. It prevents the hair from becoming brittle and prevents hair loss as well.
[ Read: Egg Face Packs ]
Vitamin A: The Vitamin A present in the yolk helps in the production of sebum. It helps in controlling dandruff. Vitamin A prevents drying of the scalp and promotes hair growth and prevents hair loss.
Vitamin E :Eggs also have vitamin E which promotes hair growth. They protect the hair against harmful UV rays and pollution. Vitamin D helps in improving the texture of hair, thus making it smooth and manageable.
Vitamin B: Eggs also provide vitamins B-1, B-2, B-12, biotin, choline, pantothenic acid and niacin which are essential for healthy hair. Niacin or vitamin B3 increases the energy metabolism in cells, thus inducing hair growth. Thinning of hair is in fact a symptom of niacin deficiency. Choline is also a member of vitamin B group that helps to prevent hair loss and baldness. Vitamin B-5 or pantothenic acid is supposed to prevent premature greying of hair.
Biotin or vitamin B7: helps in renewing the follicles and roots of the hairs that are already growing. Biotin in the egg helps to maintain healthier roots and follicles of the hair.
The yolk may sometimes contain red or brown spots which are called blood spots. They are harmless pieces of tissue. Most of the vitamins present in the eggs increase oxygen production and stimulate more blood flow to the scalp. This helps in preventing hair loss and makes the roots of the hair really strong.
Eggs are rich sources of certain minerals like sulphur, zinc, iron, phosphorous, iodine and also of calcium, magnesium, sodium and potassium. All these elements prevent hair loss by strengthening the hair. Sulphur in egg yolk stimulates the scalp and increases hair growth.
Egg White: Egg whites are one of the best sources of protein. Protein makes hair follicles stronger. They also contain folate and other minerals that stimulate hair growth and prevent hair loss. Folic acid or vitamin B-9 is very much required for healthy hair. Folic acid induces growth of red blood cells and helps in cell division. Thus it aids in preventing hair loss and promotes hair growth. Egg white contains over 50% of protein in the egg.
How to use eggs for hair growth and to prevent hair loss?
Now let’s know exactly how to use egg for hair growth? Eggs can be used for hair growth in two ways. Eggs can be included in your daily diet. In this way, the body and hair gets all the nutritional benefits of eggs. Another way of harnessing the goodness of eggs is by using it as a hair pack. Protein packs are great for hair and eggs contain adequate quantity of protein for making a hair pack. Egg yolk acts as an emulsifier and helps to bind the ingredients of the hair pack into a homogeneous mixture. It also helps the pack to stick to the hair and penetrate the scalp and hair follicles.
Egg Yolk Therapy / Egg Mask for Hair Growth:
The egg yolk therapy helps an individual attain beautiful hair. Applying the yolk will make hair strong and silky. It will also result in minimal breakage. Hair that is otherwise frizzy and dull becomes more manageable. Using eggs adds volume to your hair and gives it a natural healthy shine. It acts as a natural conditioner and moisturizer which keeps your hair hydrated all the time.
[ Read: Vitamin B Foods For Hair Growth ]
Procedure of Application:
- Break the egg and empty the contents in a bowl.
- Take few tablespoons of olive oil and blend it properly.
- Apply this mixture on the scalp and hair and leave it for thirty minutes.
- Shampoo hair with cold water as hot water causes formation of lumps and can further lead to a pungent odour.
- If using eggs alone causes a problem, you can mix it with curd or a good conditioner.
The yolk penetrates through your scalp and reaches the follicles. It is very helpful in mending rough hair.
Some Other Ways of Application:
- A mask of almonds, egg yolk and honey can be applied for a span of one and a half hours for better results.
- Since it is a great natural moisturizer, you can also benefit by using a mixture of avocado and yolk. Apply this mixture and wash it off after a span of twenty minutes. It will help in moisturizing your hair.
For the prevention of breakage and hair loss, the egg yolk can be used.
- The yolk should be whisked well till it is creamy
- This cream should be applied directly on the scalp and left for half an hour.
- Rinse your hair well with ice cold water.
- To derive maximum benefits of the egg therapy, it should be followed at least once a week.
Things to remember:
- Always remember to wash off your hair with cold water after using any egg pack. Washing hair in warm water after applying an egg based hair pack curdles the egg and it sticks to the hair.
- Remember to use a mild shampoo after using the egg mask.
- Also remember to reap the benefits of egg, it requires several treatments before the changes start getting noticeable.
- Eggs help even much damaged hair to appear healthier and stronger.
Hope the article was informative to you. Do let us know how you benefited from the same.
- How Does Egg Help In Hair Growth?
- How Do Eggs Prevent Hair Loss And Aid In Hair Growth?
- 10 Effective Medicines For Hair Growth
- Top 10 Supplements To Help Prevent Hair Loss
Most of us desire long hair like Rapunzel. But owing to our hectic, modern lifestyle, which includes everyday stress and pollution, long hair can be difficult to achieve. Don't worry. There...>>
With the growing levels of pollution, UV rays exposure and unhealthy lifestyles, one of the most affected areas where most of us are facing...>>
Have you heard about the benefits of flax seeds in promoting hair growth? Flax seeds are often one of those less discussed ingredients that are...>>
If You Enjoyed This Post, Sign Up For Newsletter
(And get your daily dose of Beauty & Wellness tips straight to your inbox)