Estrogen is the most important of “female” hormones. Its deficiency occurs when estrogen level is low in the body. This is usually observed during menopause, but sometimes it can occur even before the menopause stage too. This disturbs the menstrual cycle, which leads to more disorders. Some women may also have early menopause that is before the 40s. This also results in low estrogen levels in the body or also called as estrogen deficiency,
Causes of Estrogen Deficiency:
Estrogen is required for many vital bodily functions. Deficiency of this hormone is considered to be a very serious concern and needs be treated by natural foods or dietary supplements.
Other things that may cause Estrogen deficiency include:
- Eating disorders
- Excessive exercising
- Pituitary diseases
- Low body fat
- Thyroid disorders
- Genetic diseases.
- Low levels of aromatase
- Damage in testicles
- Disorder in testicles
Estrogen Deficiency Symptoms:
- Emotional instability
- Poor concentration
- Loss of memory
- Increased back and joint pain
- Hot flashes
- Night sweats
- Rapid heartbeat
- Dry eye, skin and vagina
- Low libido
- Vaginal or bladder infections
- Painful intercourse
Estrogen Deficiency Diseases & Treatment
1. Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS):
The symptoms include both physical and emotional problems, bloating, swelling of the arms or legs, depression, anger, irritability, anxiety and breast tenderness.
The absence or loss of ovulation can be due to the disorder of hormonal levels within the body. Ovulation may not occur in a woman due to very low estrogen levels. The problem can be either dysfunction of the ovaries or incapability of the ovaries to release eggs.
Estrogen keeps fluctuating during our monthly cycle. You can experience an estrogen deficiency during the starting of your period. It slowly rises after menstruation and reaches normalcy by ovulation days (12-16 days before your next period).
[ Read: Vitamin C Deficiency and Sympotms ]
The inability to conceive or carry a child is termed as infertility. Oestrogen deficiency plays an important role in both fertility and pregnancy. The level of oestrogen hormones can affect fertility in a woman’s body. Low or high levels of this hormone can lead to problems and infertility.
5. Urinary Tract Infections:
Urinary tract infections are the most common disorders in women. Post-menopause women have a higher risk of urinary tract infection. This is mainly due to estrogen deficiency. It occurs when the bacteria comes in contact with the bladder.
Menopause starts to deplete the storage of eggs in the female body. Eggs are thus not released into the fallopian tubes and hence, menstrual cycle does not occur. The production of estrogen and progesterone stops in the ovaries.
[ Read: Vitamin Deficiency and Sympotms ]
7. Heart Disease:
Women have lower risk of heart disease than men. But with age, women experience estrogen deficiency. This increases the risk of heart disease.
8. Low Libido:
Low level of estrogen can cause low libido in women. This can also give unpleasant disorders like vaginal atrophy, vaginal dryness, mood swings, weight gain, fatigue and decreased clitoral sensitivity.
9. Nervous System:
Estrogen deficiency can lead to trauma in women. High levels of this hormone can be useful in balancing the emotions.
[ Read: Hemoglobin Rich Foods ]
Lower level of estrogen in the body can cause a migraine headache. Migraine headaches mostly occur when a woman’s estrogen level is low. This is usually when she is menstruating, and has fluctuating estrogen levels.
Estrogen Deficiency Treatment:
1. Include good amounts of vitamins and minerals in your diet to get rid of this deficiency.
2. Only women who are clearly deficient of estrogen should take its supplement.
3. Estrogen should be taken with progesterone.
4. Please take any supplements under your doctor’s guidance.
- Potassium Deficiency – Causes, Symptoms And Treatment
- Calcium Deficiency – Causes, Symptoms And Treatment
- Zinc Deficiency – Causes, Symptoms, Diseases & Treatment
- Iron Deficiency – Causes, Symptoms And Treatment
Latest posts by Jayshree Bhagat (see all)
- Top 15 Most Beautiful Cherry Blossom Flowers - May 13, 2014
- 23 Effective Exercises For Toned Buttocks - April 25, 2014
- Best Aerobics Shoes For Women – Our Top 10 - April 11, 2014
- 14 Amazing Benefits And Uses Of Soy Protein - March 26, 2014
- Top 10 Clinics/Centers That Provide Laser Treatment For Acne Scars - March 24, 2014