Sports in India have always been identified with men. Women living in this country are not encouraged to actively participate in sports! The conditions of women in India who take up sports are sub-par when we examine it with the international level. Below is a list of the top ten female celebrities in Indian sports who have made this nation proud, despite all odds.
1. Saina Nehwal:
Saina Nehwal is also known as the golden girl of Indian badminton. She has reached the zenith of her sports achievements by making it to the top three badminton players in the world. Her career began in 2012 where she shot to the 5th position in the World Badminton players list. She has won the Swiss Open Grand Prix Gold, Thai Open Grand Prix Gold and the Indonesian Open Super Series. Her claim to fame at the end is winning a bronze medal at the Olympics!
2. MC Mary Kom:
MC Mary Kom is also known as the “Million Rupee Baby” in India. This tough lady is a five time boxing world champion and also has an Olympic Bronze medal in her kitty. Mary Kom is the first lady boxer to have won the bronze medal at the London Olympics for India.
3. Sania Mirza:Sania Mirza still remains one of the most recognized faces in Indian sports! She is the only woman face of Indian Tennis. This sports star has been in and out of her profession from time to time due to serious injuries. Sania made a huge comeback at the French Open with her tennis partner Mahesh Bhupathi.
4. Mithali Raj:Mithali Raj is the face of Indian Women’s Cricket Team and is ranked number one by the ICC World Women’s Cricket Ratings!
5. PV Sindhu:
PV Sindhu is the rising star in the world of badminton! She has already created a stir in the world of sports with her performance during the London 2012 Olympics. She defeated the Olympic gold medallist Li Xuerui of China during the China Master Super Series Tournament and entered the semi-finals. She made it to her maiden finals of the Indian Grand Prix Gold Event where she lost to Yanjiao Jiang of China. PV Sindhu is the national champion in India and has been a semi-finalist at the Malaysian Open. She is certainly a rising star!
6. Geeta Phogat:
Geeta Phogat is an Indian wrestler and a first sportswoman from the country to have qualified for the Olympics. This girl has won a gold medal in the Wrestling FILA Asian Olympic Qualification Tournament that took place in Almaty, Kazakhstan in 2012!
7. Deepika Kumari:Deepika Kumari, an ace archer, has a rating of World No. 2. This superstar won a gold medal at the 2010 Commonwealth Games in the category of women’s individual re-curve event. She won another gold medal in the same event in the team’s category! Deepika finished at 8th position during the London Olympics, 2012.
8. Dipika Pallikal:
Dipika Pallikal is the first squash player from India to have climbed into the top 20 positions in the WSA ratings. This girl won 3 WISPA tour titles in the year of 2011. She has attained the best ranking at position 10th in the year of 2012. She was also a semi-finalist in Australian Open!
9. Tanya Sachdeva:
10. Sharmila Nicollet:
Sharmila Nicollet is an ace Indo-French golfer from Bangalore. This girl finished in the 17th place at the Lalla Aicha tour school final stage, at the Ladies European Tour. She won an LET card for 2013.
It is a sad truth that women in India are pulled down by different sports conventions and authorities. It is important that they are encouraged to get into national sports. There are enough resources in our country and we can actually make it happen. These celebrity female sports stars are a role model for young women around the country. Let us encourage the next generation of superstars to emulate these path breakers.
Latest posts by Shruti Goenka (see all)
- Create Your Own Maybelline Makeup Kit With These 10 Amazing Products - March 18, 2014
- Top 5 Ayurvedic Products For Increasing Height – Works Wonders - March 15, 2014
- 10 Pictures Of Emma Stone Without Makeup - March 15, 2014
- 6 Main Causes Of Hair Loss In Children - March 15, 2014
- 10 Diseases Caused By Nutritional Deficiencies - March 14, 2014