Tittibha – Firefly, Asana – Pose; Pronounced as – tit-THI-BHA-ah-sana
The Firefly Pose is one that requires exceptional strength in the upper body and flexibility in the hamstrings. But these two qualities can be gained only with practice. Therefore, you need to master the pose slowly. This difficult arm balance mimics a firefly in flight.
Everything You Need To Know About The Tittibhasana
- What You Should Know Before You Do The Asana
- How To Do The Tittibhasana
- Precautions And Contraindications
- Beginner’s Tip
- Advanced Pose Variation
- The Benefits Of The Firefly Pose
- The Science Behind The Tittibhasana
- Preparatory Poses
- Follow-Up Poses
What You Should Know Before You Do This Asana
Like the other yoga asanas, it is essential that your stomach and bowels are empty when you practice the asana. Make sure there is a gap of at least four to six hours between your meal and practice. This will give you enough time to digest your food and generate energy for your practice.
Also, mornings are ideal to practice yoga. But, in the event you cannot practice yoga in the morning, evenings are a good time too.
Level: Intermediate/ Advanced
Style: Ashtanga Yoga
Duration: 30 to 60 seconds
Stretches: Arms, Wrists
Strengthens: Inner groins, Back torso
How To Do The Tittibhasana
- To begin this asana, start with the Adho Mukha Svanasana.
- Walk towards your hands such that your feet are in front of your hands. Then, let your hands through your legs, and press them behind the calves, such that you crawl deeper through your legs.
- Bring your arms and shoulders as far behind your thighs as you can place them. Firmly place your palms behind your feet such that your heels are held with your thumb and index finger.
- Gently bend your knees and squat as you rest the back of your legs as close to your shoulders as you can.
- Once your fingers and palms are spread, make sure you shift your body weight onto them. Lift your feet off the floor. Straighten your legs first. Then, once you stabilize, straighten your arms. Squeeze your thighs against the upper arms to gain more height.
- Hold for a few seconds and release.
Precautions And Contraindications
Avoid this asana if you have the following conditions.
a. A shoulder injury
b. An elbow injury
c. A wrist injury
d. Lower back injuries
As a beginner, it might be hard to get this pose right. Sit on the floor and spread your legs to form a 90-degree angle. Then, elevate your heels on a block, and press your palms between your legs on the floor.
Advanced Pose Alterations
This is an advanced pose in itself. When you master it and are able to do it with ease, you will already find yourself in an advanced position.
The Benefits Of The Firefly Pose
These are some amazing benefits of Titthibhasana.
- It gives the back torso and inner groins a good stretch.
- The arms and wrists become strong.
- It calms your mind and improves your sense of balance.
- The belly is toned, and therefore, digestion is improved.
The Science Behind The Tittibhasana
Confidence, determination, and the ability to let go will help you lift yourself into the Tittibhasana, which is a very challenging pose.
Tittibha means firefly. It is a great metaphor for the path of yogic awakening.
A pose like this has the ability to throw the most earnest practitioner off guard, if taken too seriously. This arm balance is challenging and requires and inculcates both Vriya and Shraddha. Be confident as you slip into this firefly yoga pose. This will help you get the steadiness you need in the deep forward bend of the hips. You also need to build up immense arm strength to support yourself and activate the legs to allow the lift.
Now that you know how to do firefly pose, what are you waiting for? There are very few people who can lift up and do this asana the first time they try it. Don’t be discouraged. Just have fun with the pose.
- Malasana / Yoga Squat / Garland Pose – How To Do And What Are Its Benefits?
- Forrest Yoga – What Is It And What Are Its Benefits?
- Ishta Yoga- What Is It And What Are Its Benefits?
- What Is Kukkutasana Yoga And What Are Its Benefits?
- What Is Nude Yoga And What Are Its Benefits?
Latest posts by Shirin Mehdi (see all)
- Quiz: A Fun Color Test That Can Predict Your Mental Age - February 9, 2018
- Being Pregnant Is Not Easy; Let’s Make It Less Difficult For Her - May 5, 2017
- Are You As Happy As You Think You Are? - April 26, 2017
- What She Spreads On Her Skin, Everyone Has At Home – But Nobody Uses It! - March 15, 2017
- Do You Have A Lump On Your Neck, Back Or Behind Your Ear? - March 8, 2017