To flaunt a slim body is the dream of every person. A healthy body greatly enhances your personality and appearance. Being obese or underweight can have an adverse effect on your appearance. There can be various causes for being underweight such as hormonal disorder, anorexia, stress, hypothyroid and many more. The most effective way to gain weight is by consuming more calories. In addition to that, there are several food supplements that can contribute to weight gain. Read further to know more about food to gain weight.
[ Read: Weight Gaining Tips ]
Weight Gain Foods
Eating greater amounts of food and increasing your protein and calorie intake helps in building muscle mass and thus increasing your weight. It is not advisable to gorge on unhealthy trans-fats like fried chips, cookies and processed foods as these will cause obesity rather than building healthy muscle mass. Here is the list of food for weight gain.
1. Whole grains: Whole grains contain high amounts of glucose which acts as your body’s main dietary source of energy. Whole grains are healthy source of carbohydrates that enables protein to be used for increasing muscle mass rather than energy. Refined grains such as white flour should be replaced with whole grains as they provide you more nutrients and promote sustained energy levels. Whole grain foods include whole grain breads, pasta, quinoa, brown rice and air popped popcorn. Bagels, breads and cereals made from whole grains make an excellent breakfast option.
2. Nuts: Nuts contain significant amounts of calories in a small serving. Two handfuls of almonds or around 18 cashew nuts can provide 160 calories. In fact, almonds contain alpha tocopherol vitamin E that helps in preventing free radical damage after heavy workouts. Walnuts offer an amazing combination of monounsaturated fats, phytosterols and amino acid I-Arginine. This combination provides increased calories and nitric oxide, a natural substance that promotes muscle growth and recovery. Brazil nuts contain the trace mineral selenium, which provides around 190 calories in just 7 nuts. Nuts contain polyunsaturated fats which offer healthy calories to your diet. Hence, nuts like almonds, walnuts, cashews, sunflower seeds, flax seeds and pumpkin seeds should be consumed.
[ Read: How To Gain Weight ]
3. Avocado: This versatile fruit is rich in fat and calories. An average avocado contains around 300 calories and 31 grams of fat. Moreover, the fat contained in avocadoes is monounsaturated and hence, they are heart-healthy. Eating an avocado on a daily basis can cause you to gain 6 lbs in a week. You can add a few slices of avocado to an omelette or a sandwich. Avocadoes can also be used in making salads.
4. Potato: Potatoes are the richest source of carbohydrates and complex sugars. Therefore, they are highly recommended for underweight people. Potato chips prepared in healthy oil or sandwiches comprising of potatoes should be eaten as snacks in between meals. Grilled or baked potatoes contribute effectively towards weight gain. Unhealthy fried chips and processed food should be avoided as they contain unsaturated or trans-fats.
5. Pasta and Noodles: They can be easily prepared in a variety of ways and are considered as delicious, calorie-dense sources of carbohydrates. They are easily available and should be cooked with lots of vegetables to provide other essential vitamins and minerals.
6. Dried Fruit: Dried fruit is a rich source of fiber. Moreover, it has a high content value of vitamins and minerals which are necessary for overall health and building muscles. Being high in calories, it can help in achieving the calorie surplus that is required to gain weight. It also decreases the amount of fat that is stored in the body. Dried fruit can be eaten as snacks throughout the day. However, ensure that you drink plenty of water to avoid dehydration. Unsulfured dried fruits should be preferred. Avoid commercial dried bananas as they are full of fat.
[ Read: Healthy Snacks ]
7. Lean Meat: Lean meats such as ground beef and white meat poultry have high protein content. The amino acids provided by proteins are the building blocks of lean tissue. They help in muscle building by providing 15 to 20 percent of daily calories. Beef is an important source of iron and zinc which are crucial muscle-building nutrients. Moreover, it contains creatine, which supplies energy for pumping iron. Thus, to gain weight it is advisable to incorporate baked chicken breasts, roast turkey or lean beef patties in your meals.
8. Smoothies: Smoothies are an excellent option to consume extra calories without adding solid food to your diet. Smoothies can be prepared by using various combinations comprising of bananas, cashew milk and butter, mango, soy milk and honey, strawberries, plain yoghurt, coconut water. Fresh fruit, yoghurt, nut butter and cow’s milk can be blended together to prepare a 400 calorie snack.
[ See More: Health Benefits of Avacado ]
Food supplements also play an important role in gaining weight by adding lean muscle mass. However, food supplements alone cannot cause weight gain. In order to get maximum results, these supplements should be used along with other food items. Given below are the best supplements that should be consumed for gaining weight:
1. Protein Powder: Proteins are the building blocks of muscle tissue. In order to gain a pound of body weight, you need to consume 1 gram of protein in a daily basis. A high quality protein powder ensures weight gain by supplying your body with the building blocks that are required for its growth.
2. Creatine: This is another weight gain supplement which supplies your body with a high energy precursor that helps in creating ATP during intense physical activity. By empowering the muscle contractions, it plays an important role in bringing high rate of muscle growth.
3. Leucine: This is basically an amino acid that helps in accelerating the process of muscle repair and recovery. Leucine can be found in many BCAA supplements. This supplement should be considered for gaining weight at a faster pace.
4. Waxy Maize: This is another weight gainer supplement that facilitates quick digestion of carbohydrates to spike your insulin levels and saturate your muscle glycogen storage. These fast digesting carbs help to transfer the proteins and amino acids to your muscle tissue. One of its advantages is that it is light on the stomach. You can switch to waxy maize if you are feeling nauseous post workout because it mixes easily into any post workout shake.
Hope you liked the article. Please leave us your feedback.
If You Enjoyed This Post, Sign Up For Newsletter
(And get your daily dose of Beauty & Wellness tips straight to your inbox)
Latest posts by Saba (see all)
- 10 Healthiest Vegetables You Should Include In Your Diet - July 30, 2014
- 15 Harmful Side Effects Of Aspirin You Must Be Aware Of - July 16, 2014
- 11 Unexpected Side Effects Of Ashwagandha - July 14, 2014
- 10 Side Effects Of Noni You Should Be Aware Of - July 14, 2014