To flaunt a slim body is the dream of every person. A healthy body greatly enhances your personality and appearance. Being obese or underweight can have an adverse effect on your appearance. There can be various causes for being underweight such as hormonal disorder, anorexia, stress, hypothyroid and many more. The most effective way to gain weight is by consuming more calories. In addition to that, there are several food supplements that can contribute to weight gain. Read further to know more about food to gain weight.
[ Read: Weight Gaining Tips ]
Weight Gain Foods
Eating greater amounts of food and increasing your protein and calorie intake helps in building muscle mass and thus increasing your weight. It is not advisable to gorge on unhealthy trans-fats like fried chips, cookies and processed foods as these will cause obesity rather than building healthy muscle mass. Here is the list of food for weight gain.
1. Whole grains: Whole grains contain high amounts of glucose which acts as your body’s main dietary source of energy. Whole grains are healthy source of carbohydrates that enables protein to be used for increasing muscle mass rather than energy. Refined grains such as white flour should be replaced with whole grains as they provide you more nutrients and promote sustained energy levels. Whole grain foods include whole grain breads, pasta, quinoa, brown rice and air popped popcorn. Bagels, breads and cereals made from whole grains make an excellent breakfast option.
2. Nuts: Nuts contain significant amounts of calories in a small serving. Two handfuls of almonds or around 18 cashew nuts can provide 160 calories. In fact, almonds contain alpha tocopherol vitamin E that helps in preventing free radical damage after heavy workouts. Walnuts offer an amazing combination of monounsaturated fats, phytosterols and amino acid I-Arginine. This combination provides increased calories and nitric oxide, a natural substance that promotes muscle growth and recovery. Brazil nuts contain the trace mineral selenium, which provides around 190 calories in just 7 nuts. Nuts contain polyunsaturated fats which offer healthy calories to your diet. Hence, nuts like almonds, walnuts, cashews, sunflower seeds, flax seeds and pumpkin seeds should be consumed.
[ Read: How To Gain Weight ]
3. Avocado: This versatile fruit is rich in fat and calories. An average avocado contains around 300 calories and 31 grams of fat. Moreover, the fat contained in avocadoes is monounsaturated and hence, they are heart-healthy. Eating an avocado on a daily basis can cause you to gain 6 lbs in a week. You can add a few slices of avocado to an omelette or a sandwich. Avocadoes can also be used in making salads.
4. Potato: Potatoes are the richest source of carbohydrates and complex sugars. Therefore, they are highly recommended for underweight people. Potato chips prepared in healthy oil or sandwiches comprising of potatoes should be eaten as snacks in between meals. Grilled or baked potatoes contribute effectively towards weight gain. Unhealthy fried chips and processed food should be avoided as they contain unsaturated or trans-fats.
5. Pasta and Noodles: They can be easily prepared in a variety of ways and are considered as delicious, calorie-dense sources of carbohydrates. They are easily available and should be cooked with lots of vegetables to provide other essential vitamins and minerals.
[ Read: Healthy Snacks ]
6. Dried Fruit: Dried fruit is a rich source of fiber. Moreover, it has a high content value of vitamins and minerals which are necessary for overall health and building muscles. Being high in calories, it can help in achieving the calorie surplus that is required to gain weight. It also decreases the amount of fat that is stored in the body. Dried fruit can be eaten as snacks throughout the day. However, ensure that you drink plenty of water to avoid dehydration. Unsulfured dried fruits should be preferred. Avoid commercial dried bananas as they are full of fat.
Latest posts by Saba (see all)
- 15 Easy Stair Exercises For A Toned And Healthy Body - June 25, 2015
- Food Poisoning In Children- Types, Symptoms And Home Remedies - May 30, 2015
- 6 Easy Ab Exercises You Can Do At Your Desk - May 24, 2015
- 10 Amazing Uses of Neem Powder - May 19, 2015