A famous celebrity quoted,”Girls suffer from PMS, periods, cramps, childbirth, shaving, plucking, makeup dilemmas and high heels. Guys just complain.”
Isn’t it true? Women are warriors who carry on their daily routine even with fatigue, cramps, bloating and headaches. We work hard the entire 25 days on our diets and workouts, but all our effort goes in vain during those 5 days. We strive to avoid junk food, but end up overindulging in them as we feel fatigued and give in to our cravings.
Certain foods can provide us with a lot of benefits and help relieve the menstrual symptoms. Let us look at some foods to eat to relieve menstrual cramps.
Top 10 Foods To Relieve Menstrual Cramps:
Here’s a list of top 10 foods to relieve menstrual cramps:
1. Nuts And Seeds:
Rich in magnesium, nuts and seeds help alleviate cravings for chocolates and other junk foods. this helps us prevent bloating and other related discomfort.
[ Read: Home Remedies To Period Pains ]
2. Beans And Legumes:
Our digestive systems become irregular during these days. Fiber-rich beans and legumes help regularize the digestive system. Too many beans may also lead to gas formation. Ensure that the beans are soaked overnight and pressure cooked. Beans also contain Vitamin B, which flushes out toxins.
Caffeine is an excellent pick-me-up. But avoid caffeine during periods as it leads to painful cramps and bloating. Opt for soothing chamomile tea and ginger-based water like peach and ginger water. Ginger water also helps offset tummy problems related to coffee beans.
4. Dark Chocolate:
Research indicates that dark chocolate satiates junk food cravings and boosts serotonin levels, which in turn helps alleviate depression and fatigue. Opt for a one ounce square of dark chocolate during your periods.
Water is essentially not a food, but an essential component of your period diet. Water will flush out the excess sodium that leads to bloating and migraines. If you don’t like the taste of plain water, you can try waters, which are infused with fruits, vegetables and spices.
- Apple-cinnamon infused water boosts the metabolic rate and adds fiber
- You can try lemon and cucumber infused water
- Peach and ginger infused water soothes tummy problems
- Mango and ginger infused water is full of antioxidants
6. Complex Carbohydrate-Rich Foods:
Fruits, vegetables and whole foods offer relief during periods. These help to reduce sugar cravings. Other complex carbohydrate-rich foods include apricots, oranges, plums, pears, cucumbers, artichokes, corn and carrots.
7. Calcium-rich Foods:
As per the guidelines, women require 1200 mg of calcium as per the RDA. Try and add kale, broccoli and yogurt to your diet.
- Opt for smoothies made with yoghurt and antioxidant-rich fruits, such as papayas and mangoes.
- Dill is also a great flavor addition to your salads and dips. Also, it is rich in calcium
- Include sesame seeds in your diet
8. Vitamin C-rich Foods:
Vitamin C supports the quality of the woman’s eggs and reproductive system.
- Vitamin C is present in grapefruits and lemons
- Parsley is high in Vitamin C, but when used in a tea, it helps reduce muscle pains and aches
[ Read: Ways To Manage Period Pains ]
9. Vitamin E-rich Foods:
This helps in eliminating PMS symptoms, and is good for your skin too. Indulge in avocados, hemp seeds and egg yolk.
10. Vitamin B6-rich Foods:
This vitamin is an amazing stress buster. It boosts your mood and keeps the blues away. It fights the dreaded bloating. Fill up on potatoes, bananas and oatmeal.
Intake of these natural foods for menstrual cramps will definitely help you. As a tip, avoid excess dairy products as these can trigger cramps; nix excess sugar and excess salty foods to avoid bloating. Alcohol and red meat are also no good as they can upset your tummy. Relax, take a deep breath and tell yourself, “This too shall pass”. Stay healthy and stay happy.
- 10 Effective Ways To Get Rid Of Menstrual Cramps
- 10 Effective Home Remedies For Leg Cramps
- 5 Effective Yoga Asanas For Periods
- Top 10 Effective Home Remedies For Curing Stomach Bloating
- Smooth Under Arms and Hair Removal Techniques!!!
Latest posts by Jiya (see all)
- Top 5 Apps Every Woman Should Have To Ensure Their Safety - August 11, 2014
- 10 Yummy Oil Free Snacks Recipes To Try Out Today - July 16, 2014
- Top 10 Foods To Relieve Menstrual Cramps - July 16, 2014
- Top 6 Healthy Food Joints In Delhi - July 15, 2014
- Top 4 Fitness Centers In Bangalore - July 15, 2014