Are you suffering from foot drop? Wondering how you can cure it? Well, then you have come to the right place!
This post talks about those exercises that can help you cure this condition. Would you like to know more? Read on!
Foot Drop – A Brief:
Also called drop foot, this is a condition that results in the victim losing control of one or both of the feet. Once afflicted with this painful condition, you will face difficulty in activities that require foot movement, including walking and running.
The causes can be various and treatments vary accordingly. It can occur in both women and men and at any age (1). It is essential to seek expert medical intervention before starting any medication, exercise or treatment for this.
Causes Of Foot Drop:
In most cases, foot drop acts as a precursor of a serious disorder (2). The main causes are:
- Spinal and brain disorders
- Nerve injury
- Musculoskeletal disorders
Treatment Options For Foot Drop:
The underlying cause is what doctors analyse before suggesting a specific treatment for patients with this condition. However, with early detection and treatment, chances of recovery are higher.
Most sought after treatments for foot drop are:
- Lightweight braces
- Physical therapy/exercise
- Shoe inserts
Exercises For Foot Drop:
While surgery remains the last option for its victims and braces help to an extent, foot drop patients can benefit from trying out specific exercises.
Below listed are a few effective exercises for this condition:
1. Toe Grip:
- You begin by sitting on a chair and then grip the seats with both hands firmly.
- You have to sit bare feet.
- Keep a table tennis ball on the floor and then try gripping it using the toes.
- Lift it to the knees and put it back on the floor. This can be repeated several times.
2. Foot Curls:
- You need to sit on a chair and then bring the legs up.
- They should remain parallel to the floor.
- Hold on to the chair’s sides with both hands.
- Now, curl the toes to the body’s midsection and stay in that posture for a few seconds.
- Then uncurl both toes.
- This exercise can be repeated a few times.
3. Ankle Rotation:
- At first, sit up on a chair with your spine erect.
- Now lift one leg in the air.
- Turn the foot inward slowly and hold for a few seconds.
- Now, turn the foot outwards. Repeat these steps for the other leg as well.
4. Toe-To-Heel Rock:
- Stand with both hands on the wall or a table for support.
- Then, rise using your toes.
- Be in this pose for a few seconds.
- Lower the heels and then put the toes in the air.
- You will feel the calf muscles stretched.
- Stay in this pose for a few seconds.
- Repeat the entire stretch for a number of times.
5. Calf Raises:
- To try this exercise for foot drop (3), you need to stand on the floor.
- Stand in the middle of your room so that you cannot touch the wall or anything for support.
- Now, rise using the toe tops.
- After a few seconds, you can revert to the normal standing pose.
- Try this for 10 or more times.
- This will make your feet stronger and improve body balance.
6. Strengthen And Stretch:
This is another useful exercise for those afflicted with foot drop.
- You need to sit on the floor with both the legs straightened and spread out in the front.
- Now, flex your foot to move the toes inwards and lift both heels off the floor.
- Hold the feet in that position for some time.
- Now, stretch the feet outwards.
- Firmly curl the toes under and release them.
- The entire process can be repeated a few times.
You no longer need to spend wads of notes every month on gym bills. These simple foot drop exercises can help you tone up and keep you healthy and fit!
Has this post helped you? Let us know by commenting in the box below!
Latest posts by Daiwik (see all)
- Why Should You Use Fractionated Coconut Oil? - September 4, 2015
- 5 Astonishing Ways Davana Essential Oil Can Benefit You - September 4, 2015
- 8 Really Effective Stretches For Runners That You Should Be Doing - September 1, 2015
- 8 Awesome Health Benefits Of Phosphorus - August 31, 2015
- The Powerful Japa Meditation – What Is It And Its Benefits - August 19, 2015