Fruits And Vegetables For Healthy Skin
We all want glowing, healthy and blemish free skin, and everyday we slather our skin with many cosmetics to look our very best. At times, we prepare concoctions, such as face packs, scrubs, etc at home to tackle our skin issues. But do you know that eating fruits and vegetables of the right color can get you better results? Yes, if you consume fruits and vegetables of the right color, you can better address your facial skin woes.
Fruits and veggies can be color-coded into 5 broad groups:
- These provide beta-carotene and are good free-radical fighters, hence are good anti-ageing substances. The Vitamin-C content also promotes collagen growth, fights wrinkles, makes the skin supple and elastic. E.g. mangoes, lemons, oranges, pumpkin, etc.
- Berries and plums come under this category. They are said to be laden with anti-oxidants, and are delicious at the same time. They also boost immune system and enhance digestion. E.g. blueberries, blackberries, plums, eggplant, etc.
- Red fruits and veggies contain Lycopene, which is a very potent anti-oxidant. It also protects from the sun rays. E.g. tomatoes, red bell peppers, papaya, watermelon, etc.
- From childhood, we have been listening to moms saying ‘you must eat green vegetables’. It holds true for people of all ages. And also for green fruits. Consume cabbage, broccoli, green bell peppers, kiwi, celery, sprouts, etc. these fight cancer, provide you with Vitamin-C and Folate.
- Contain Beta-glucans, and are powerful immune-boosters. They reduce the risk of colon, breast and prostate cancer, and balance hormone levels. E.g. coconut, bananas, mushrooms, onions, potatoes, corn, etc.
The best way to consume all the fruits and vegetables for glowing skin and optimum health is to include a bowl of fruit/ vegetable salad in your daily diet, including atleast one fruit/ vegetable from each of the above categories. You may add lemon juice, curd, etc to enhance the taste of the salads to your liking.