Do you suffer from Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)? Many of those who suffer from IBS also tend to get frequent colds and fevers. There are no bounds to suffering when a person is afflicted with both these problems simultaneously. Did you know that food rich in glutamine is said to alleviate symptoms of IBS?
What Is Glutamine?
Glutamine is an amino acid that is naturally produced by your body. Just like all other amino acids, it functions as a building block for muscles. Glutamine has the honour of being one of the few amino acids that can breach the blood-brain barrier, as it can be absorbed by the brain.
Benefits of Glutamine:
There are several health benefits to consuming foods rich in glutamine. Here are some of them:
- Promotes health of the digestive tract by regulating cell division of the intestinal lining
- Assists the body to produce glutathione, which is a potent antioxidant
- Maintains optimal acid-base balance in the body
- Aids in the maintenance of muscle mass
- Helps in cellular and systemic detoxification
- Provides energy to endothelial cells lining blood vessels
- Promotes healthy neurological function and also improves memory, concentration and mood
- Provides energy to neurons when the blood sugar levels are low. This characteristic of glutamine is said to curb cravings for sugar and alcohol.
There is also research to suggest that glutamine can directly and indirectly affect weight loss. By taking glutamine supplementation before and after your workouts, you will increase your resting metabolism rate and help the body fat burn faster.
Who Should Consume Glutamine Rich Foods?
While there is no restriction on who should consume glutamine-rich foods, but you should include these foods into your daily diet if you:
- Are suffering from severe burns
- Perform high-intensity exercises
- Succumb to frequent bouts of colds and flu
- Suffer from celiac disease, IBS, Crohn’s disease or ulcerative colitis
- Have low muscle mass
Top 10 Food Rich In Glutamine:
Here are the top 10 foods high in glutamine that you should think of including in your daily diet.
1. Meat and Poultry:
Grass-fed beef, pork and chicken as well as their products are some of the best sources of glutamine.
As glutamine is a form of protein, it is found in abundance in all types of fish.
3. Organ Meat:
All types of organ meat, in particular liver, are good sources of glutamine.
Look to add milk, yogurt and cheese in your daily diet to ensure your body gets the required amount of glutamine. If you love cheese, try consuming ricotta cheese, as it has a lot of glutamine.
Free range eggs are preferable if you are looking to enjoy getting glutamine through egg consumption.
Red cabbage is renowned for containing a lot of glutamine. You can build your immunity and overall health by consuming it in salads. Cooking red cabbage will destroy the glutamine contained in it. You can also look at the options of juicing or fermenting.
Nuts contain a fair amount of glutamine. While you shouldn’t be looking at munching nuts throughout the day, snacking on them in between meals will ensure that you get enough glutamine.
8. Beans and Legumes:
All types of beans and legumes are outstanding sources of glutamine. If you are vegan, include them into your diet to ensure you get the right amount of dietary protein through your food.
9. Beet, Spinach and Parsley:
You can make a delicious salad with these veggies and enjoy the benefits of glutamine. Make sure you do not cook these veggies.
10. Energy Drinks:
There are many energy drinks that are fortified with glutamine and can prove to be an excellent source of the amino acid. If you are an athlete, always on the go or indulge in intensive exercise, you should think of consuming these drinks.
If you are a vegan, choose beans, legumes and red cabbage as your sources of glutamine. You will be amazed at how your immunity improves.
Glutamine is quite underrated in the world of health. But the above list provides a general idea of how glutamine affects you and why.
Latest posts by Maanasi Radhakrishnan (see all)
- 10 Amazing Health And Beauty Benefits Of Yarrow Essential Oil - September 7, 2015
- 8 Marvelous Benefits Of Cottage Cheese - September 1, 2015
- 33 Marvelous Benefits Of Jaggery (Gur) For Skin And Health - August 31, 2015
- A to Z Of Diverticulitis Diet - August 27, 2015
- This Is Why You Should Try The Magnificent Monoi Oil - August 20, 2015