GM Diet or General Motors Diet, as its name suggests, is a weight management program originally designed by the General Motors Corporation for the health and fitness of its employees with the grant from the U.S Department of Agriculture, Food and Drug Administration. This diet system focuses on the consumption of specific foods per day and covers a span of 7 days.
Like any other diet, weight loss is the primary goal coupled with added benefits of improving the mental state and attitude of the person following the diet course, the theory behind this 7 day plan is that the food eaten burns more calories than they give to the body in caloric value. Basically it is designed to cleanse and detoxify your body and make you look and feel better. Following are the side effects of GM diet along with the objective and rules of GM diet.
Objectives of GM Diet:
Weight management is one of the major objectives of GM diet. It was meant to help the employees; particularly those belonging to the middle age group to keep themselves fit and enjoy better health. Nevertheless, it possesses certain health risks that may interfere with their work.
The followers of GM diet generally have the following objectives in mind:-
- To get a toned body by shedding off the extra pounds.
- To improve attitude and emotions because of its cleansing and detoxifying effects.
- To ensure that the calories burnt outweigh the calories consumed.
- To maintain a proportional weight-height body mass.
- To prevent obesity related problems like arthritis, hypertension and cardiovascular diseases.
It is advisable to combine the diet with proper exercise to avoid bouts of fatigue and other related health risks and achieve the desired weight.
GM Diet Chart:
|Day- 1||Any number of fruits, except bananas, preferably melons and cantaloupes. It is meant to prepare your body for the rest of the day.|
|Day- 2||Raw or cooked vegetables, a baked potato, flavoured with a pat of butter for breakfast.|
|Day-3||Unlimited amount of fruits and vegetables excluding bananas and potatoes.|
|Day-4||Upto 3 glasses of milk and 8 bananas. You may have the GM soup as well. The sugar cravings are reduced by this day.|
|Day-5||6 whole tomatoes, small portions of lean beef and one more quart of water to purify your body from within.|
|Day-6||Unlimited amounts of lean meats (chicken and fish) or cottage cheese and vegetables.|
|Day-7||Brown rice, fruit juice and all the vegetables on this day.|
Vegetarians can substitute the beef for brown rice. They can have 1-2 cups of rice each day.
[ Read: Banana Diet ]
GM Diet Rules:
Certain rules are required to be followed in the course of this diet:-
- Staying hydrated is very important. Therefore, dieters should drink at least 10-15 glasses of water each day.
- Alcohol should strictly be avoided during the course of diet. This is because alcohol nullifies the effects of the diet and triggers water which prevents the dieters to get rid of the excess fluids from their systems.
- Drinks such as water, club soda, plain black coffee, black tea without sugar and fruit juices (only on day 7) can be taken with this diet.
GM Diet Side Effects:
Though the GM diet does yield favourable results in the form of fitness and weight loss, it also poses certain risks that might outweigh its benefits. Like every diet, there are several side effects of gm diet.
1. Restrictions on food:This diet works on several limitations and restrictions. Such a diet is not suitable in the long run and has far reaching consequences as well.
2. Not suitable for everyone:This diet is not suitable for children and pregnant women as well as those suffering from ailments.
3. Causes several health risks:Those embarking on this diet plan have complained of several problems like persistent or sudden hair loss, coupled with headache and dry skin for the first few days of this diet. That is why it is recommended to drink a lot of water to prevent dehydration at any given moment. Anaemia, fatigue and general weakness are other health risks.
[ Read: How to Lose Weight in a Week at Home ]
4. Rigid diet:This diet is often criticized for its rigidity. Due to excessive restrictions on food, people often find it difficult to follow and experience giddiness and hunger cravings by day 3 or 4
Latest posts by Saba (see all)
- 15 Easy Stair Exercises For A Toned And Healthy Body - June 25, 2015
- Food Poisoning In Children- Types, Symptoms And Home Remedies - May 30, 2015
- 6 Easy Ab Exercises You Can Do At Your Desk - May 24, 2015
- 10 Amazing Uses of Neem Powder - May 19, 2015