Does performing squats leave you with a sore lower back? Do you want toned legs and thighs without these painful sprains? Then you have an answer to all your problems! It is ‘The goblet squat’!
Internationally renowned Strength Coach Dan John invented the goblet squat as an alternative to the regular back squat and the dumbbell squat. The goblet squat derives its name from the way the weight is held. It is an easier and more effective alternative to the regular squats that often have you contorted and stretched to painful positions. It is easier to perform and has many benefits over regular squats.
Want to check out what the hype is all about? Then you got to read this post!
What Is The Goblet Squat?
The Goblet squat is an exercise routine which tones the thighs, calves, and legs while strengthening your core. Unlike its other squat routine cousins, this exercise is extremely gentle on the lower back. The goblet squat is usually performed with a kettlebell or dumbbell. The exercise is a good alternative for those with tight hip flexors, weak shoulders, restricted ankle movement, poor wrist flexibility and disproportionately long legs.
[ Read: Easy Steps To Do Plié Squat Jumps ]
How To Perform The Goblet Squat?
- To begin with, you will need a kettlebell or a dumbbell.
- Hold the dumbbell vertically between the palms or hold a kettlebell by its horns.
- Keep your feet just beyond shoulder width and your feet pointing a tad outward. If you are tall, you may have to increase the leg width.
- Lower your body slowly by bending your knees and squat down. Make sure you aren’t leaning forward or hunching your shoulders.
- Keep going as low as you can. Make sure that your feet remain planted to the ground.
- Once you reach the bottom, gently brush your elbows against the insides of your legs and push the knees outward. Hold the position for a couple of seconds.
- Begin raising your body and return to the starting position. Repeat.
Watch a video of how to do a goblet squat here (1).
Benefits Of Goblet Squat:
Now that you know the goblet squat is an easier and less strenuous variant to the regular squat, let’s take a look at some advantages of the goblet squat:
1. Lower Body Workout:
The Goblet squat helps tone the legs and thighs while strengthening the quads, hip flexors, lats, calves, gluteal muscles and the hamstrings. The goblet squat is thus one of the best workouts for a stronger body.
2. Core Strength:
The goblet squat helps strengthen your core muscles and helps maintain proper posture. It is more effective than ab crunches, and its other benefits make it a multi-utility workout. This is one exercise that can help you get those ripped lean abs.
[ Read: Yoga Squat And its Benefits ]
3. Burns Calories:
Being a multi-muscle workout, the goblet squat engages many muscles. Its characteristic of working so many muscles simultaneously makes it the ideal exercise routine if you wish to burn calories quick.
4. Gentle On Lower Back:
The normal back squat provides many benefits, but it is stressful for the lower back and beginners can injure themselves by performing this routine. The goblet squat offers an easier position and is less stressful on the lower back. It is a great beginner’s exercise for those who wish to start squats.
[ Read: Yoga Squat And its Benefits ]
Although there are many variants of the Goblet Squat, like the rotation with goblet squat and the double goblet squat, you must be very careful about the positions. Incorrect positions can cause muscular injuries. Thus, begin with lighter weights and increase the repetitions, until you build enough strength to increase the weight.
The Goblet Squat is thus an effective and easier option to the back squat. So what are you waiting for! Get started today and get that lean ripped beach body you had always wanted!
Have you ever performed Goblet Squats before? Share your experience in the comments box below!
- 5 Simple Steps to Practice Star Jumps
- 6 Amazing Benefits Of Box Jump Workout
- Malasana / Yoga Squat / Garland Pose – How To Do And What Are Its Benefits?
- 6 Easy Steps To Do Plié Squat Jumps
- 7 Amazing Benefits Of Jump Squats
Latest posts by Ameya C (see all)
- 8 Facts About Washing Hands That You Don’t Want To Ignore - February 23, 2016
- 10 Best Essential Oils To Treat Hemorrhoids - July 23, 2015
- 5 Amazing Benefits Of Castor Oil Bath - June 12, 2015
- What Is Coachella Diet? - June 10, 2015
- Top 9 Foam Rollers For Runners - June 8, 2015