Did you ever hear of adzuki beans before? Do you know that they come with a host of health benefits? Famous all over Asia for the wide range of benefits they offer, adzuki beans are full of protein, fibre and folic acid.
Would you like to know more about adzuki beans and their benefits? Read on!
What Are Adzuki Beans?
Adzuki beans are native to the regions of East Asia and the Himalayas. They are commonly eaten in countries such as Korea, Japan, China, and other Asian nations. The adzuki beans come in colours such as red, black and white, and are grown annually. The beans are boiled, crushed and used for making different kinds of sweets and desserts. People like to think these beans are just savoury, but in fact, they are actually very important for regulation of health.
[ Read: Health Benefits Of Flageolet Beans ]
On that note, let’s take a quick look at the health benefits of adzuki beans.
1. Weight Loss Booster:
Adzuki beans are needed for boosting weight loss. They help you maintain a healthy lifestyle. This means they are very low in calories and can fill up your stomach, thereby making you eat less and eventually help you lose more body fat over a period of time. One cup of adzuki beans contains only 300 calories (1).
2. Protein Benefits:
Adzuki beans contain protein in abundance that benefits the heart. Protein lowers the LDL cholesterol and increases the HDL cholesterol. With protein, you can also increase body mass, strength, size and muscles (2).
3. Fibre Benefits:
Adzuki beans also contain fibre that can benefit you in many ways. Fibre, most importantly, helps in the maintenance of your bowel health. Some cases have also shown the reduction of symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome with the intake of fibre (3).
[ Read: Benefits Of Lima Beans ]
4. Vitamin Benefits:
Vitamins play a very crucial role in protecting your body from chronic diseases and other major diseases like cancer. This is also a must for all pregnant women who can lower the risk of developing breast cancer, colon cancer and heart cancer (4).
5. Potassium Benefits:
Adzuki beans also contain potassium that helps in the reduction of blood pressure (5). Adequate intake can also prevent from getting birth defects in babies.
6. Great For The Skin:
Adzuki beans can also be used as a skin exfoliator. It is an essential ingredient for all face masks. Here is something you should definitely try. Take three spoons of adzuki beans and a teaspoon of Aloe Vera. Mix them together and apply all over the face. Let it stay for 15 minutes and wash off with cold water. Adzuki beans are also known for reducing skin infections and alleviating swellings (6).
7. Best For Kidneys:
Adzuki beans are beneficial for your kidneys as well. According to experts, it helps in regulating kidney functioning and restoring the balance of moisture (7). It is best to take adzuki beans twice a week in order to maximize its benefits.
8. Detoxifies Body:
A great way to detoxify your body once a week is by adding adzuki beans to your diet. The beans will reduce fatigue and detoxify both the skin and organs. This will improve the texture of your skin and make you visibly radiant and attractive over time.
[ Read: Benefits Of Potassium ]
Adzuki Beans Recipe:
Try out this healthy and delicious recipe at home in order to maximize the benefits of adzuki beans
1. Kale And Adzuki:
Kale and adzuki is a super healthy dish you just have to try. It doesn’t consume much time and is often served with brown or wild rice.
- One cup of uncooked adzuki beans
- One tablespoon of olive oil
- 6 cups of chopped kale
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed and peeled
- 2 tablespoons of water
- One-fourth cup of tamari
- Salt and pepper for taste
- One tablespoon of ground cumin
- One tablespoon of ground coriander
- Place the beans in the medium saucepan and add some water to it. Let it boil for a few minutes. Reduce heat and let it simmer for 30 minutes approx.
- Now get hold of a skillet and heat some olive oil in it. Sauté with garlic for about a minute. Mix some kale and water. Season with coriander, cumin and tamari. Blend well with the adzuki beans. Now reduce heat again and let it simmer for 20 minutes. Wait until the kale is tender. Use salt and pepper for seasoning.
- Your kale and adzuki beans dish is now ready to serve.
Now that all about adzuki beans health benefits, what are you waiting for? Did you enjoy reading this post? Have you tried adzuki beans yet? Let us know your ideas and experiences in the comment box below.
- 7 Amazing Health Benefits Of Flageolet Beans
- 9 Amazing Health Benefits Of Cannellini Beans
- 20 Amazing Benefits Of Mung Beans
- 6 Amazing Benefits Of Pinto Beans
- 10 Amazing Benefits Of Green Beans
Latest posts by Naomi (see all)
- The Ultimate Guide To Merkaba Meditation - September 14, 2015
- 8 Energizing Foods To Eat After A Morning Run - September 11, 2015
- 6 Fascinating Health Benefits Of Quercetin - September 7, 2015
- 6 Surprising Ways Salmon Can Benefit Your Health - September 2, 2015
- 7 Remarkable Ways Tapioca Can Benefit You - August 26, 2015