While the world has evolved and changed, the cures, recipes, and home remedies stated in Ayurveda have stood the test of time. Today, with increasing awareness about health and side effects of allopathic medicines, using kitchen herbs, spices, and condiments for treatment is becoming an increasingly attractive option. One of the many home remedies recommended by Ayurveda for many simple day-to-day problems is Triphala churna.
Triphala powder is beneficial in treating a number of issues ranging from weight loss to diabetes. Since it acts as an anti-inflammatory agent, it is to treat arthritis and reduce inflammation. It also has antioxidants and is used to prevent or delay aging. It also has some anti-cancer properties.
Well, the list of advantages of triphala churna doesn’t end here. Keep reading to know more!
Triphala Churna – A Brief
So, what is triphala churna?
Triphala is not a standalone kitchen species or herb. Triphala is, in fact, a combination of two Sanskrit words, Tri, which means three, and Phala, which means fruit. This means ‘triphala‘ is not one fruit or herb, but three fruits in one, in their dried and powdered form. Triphala is composed of the following three fruits:
Embilica officinalis, commonly known to Indians as amla. It is also called Indian gooseberry.
Terminalia bellirica, commonly referred to as bibhitaki in many languages, and called vibhidaka in Sanskrit. Many people also call it bedda or baheda.
Terminalia chebula, called haritaki in Sanskrit, is a nut-like fruit that is picked when it is still yellow and ripening. It is commonly known as harad.
These three fruits are dried properly, and then mixed in the right proportions and sold as ‘triphala’. You can also try and make triphala at home.
While the three are used separately for various treatments plans, together, they can be quite a power packed treatment for a number of health problems. Let’s take a look at the Triphala benefits.
How Triphala Can Be Helpful
- Wards Off Digestive Problems
- Acts As A Detoxifier
- Improves Eyesight
- Improves Blood Circulation
- Boosts Immunity
- Reduces Inflammation
- Cures Anemia
- Removes Excess Fat
- Aids Weight Loss
- Relieves Bone And Joint Pain
- Regulates Blood Pressure
- Heals Wounds Quicker
- Prevents Viral And Bacterial Infections
- Has Anti-Allergic Properties
- Prevents Cancer
- Good For Diabetics
- Cures Dizziness And Motion Sickness
- Good For Babies
- Helps In Regulating Hormonal Imbalances
- Cures Bad Breath
Health Benefits Of Triphala Churna
1. Wards Off Digestive Problems
Triphala works great as a laxative and can be used to stimulate bowel movements (1). People with digestive problems or bowel movement issues can have one spoon Triphala before going to bed at night. You can also take a spoon early morning on an empty stomach with loads of water to bid farewell to bloating, fussy stomach, or even diarrhea.
What Does It Do?
- Cleanses your stomach and ensures clearer bowel movements
- Relieves flatulence
- Provides nutrition in the form of nutrients and vitamins to the entire digestive tract, starting from the esophagus to the anus.
- Improves and strengthens the rectal muscles
What You Need To Do For Constipation
To get rid of constipation, have a glass full of warm water with 2 teaspoons of triphala powder every night. Make sure you don’t eat anything after having it. However, you may have water after half an hour.
2. Acts As A Detoxifier
Take a glass of Triphala powder and water mix before you go to sleep To detoxify your system.
What You Need To Do For Detoxification
- Mix two teaspoons of triphala churna in a glass of warm water and add a teaspoon of crushed ginger to it. Let it soak for about 8 hours. Alternatively, you can let it soak the whole night.
- Boil the resultant till it gets reduced to half its original quantity.
- Strain and add a dash of lemon and your detoxifier is ready to consume.
For best results, have it while it is warm.
You need to have this drink every morning on an empty stomach for at least one week.
3. Improves Eyesight
Triphala is a potent eye tonic that will keep your eyes healthy and vision sharp (3).
What You Need To Do
- Just mix and soak about 1-2 spoons of Triphala powder in warm water and leave it overnight.
- In the morning, strain the soaked mixture and use this mixture to clean your eyes.
This simple remedy will keep your eyes healthy and infection free.
4. Improves Blood Circulation
Having Triphala Churna once a day is a great way to stimulate and improve blood circulation (4). It improves and increases the blood flow in the capillaries. It also increases the count of the red blood cells in the blood.
5. Boosts Immunity
Thanks to the wonderful benefits of this Ayurvedic solution, which include cleaning the gastric and digestive tract, improving blood circulation, and nourishing the body from within by providing the necessary nutrients and minerals, Triphala helps boost the body’s immunity (5).
6. Reduces Inflammation
The regular consumption of Triphala helps reduce internal and external inflammation, which one might have due to poor immunity or lack of nutrients in the body (6).
7. Is Rich In Nutrients
Triphala juice is an excellent source of vitamins and minerals that are essential for your body to function well. It is rich in iron, which nourishes your body and prevents anemia. So, why opt for something else when you can get a packaged deal in the form of Triphala, which is completely natural and easily available (7).
8. Removes Excess Fat
Triphala helps in the removal of excess fat from the body, be it around the belly or anywhere else. It also helps flush out harmful toxins and excess fat present in the body. This can help lower the risk of contracting potentially fatal conditions (8).
9. Aids Weight Loss
It is not surprising to find Triphala being an active participant in weight loss or in removing belly fat. So, why don’t you go for Triphala juice, which will help manage your weight? It controls the satiety center by inducing the secretion of cholecystokinin. This hormone sends out a message to the brain and makes you feel full quicker than usual (9).
Wondering how to take triphala for weight loss? For faster weight loss, take around a tablespoon of Triphala churna with warm water three times a day. Alternatively, you can mix half a tablespoon of this churna with half tablespoon of trikatu churna and some honey in lukewarm water and take it every morning and nights.
10. Relieves Bone And Joint Pain
Troubled by joint pains? Triphala exhibits anti-inflammatory characteristics, thus providing relief from gout, joint pain, arthritis, and other problems. It provides nutrients that help strengthen your bones and flush out excess uric acid, which can lead to inflammation (10). So, the next time you feel like ripping your joints apart, mix half a tablespoon of triphala powder in a glass of water and drink it.
11. Regulates Blood Pressure
Did you know that taking Triphala powder regularly can help you get rid of blood pressure fluctuations? (11)
Triphala has blood pressure regulating properties. It promotes better blood flow and keeps the cholesterol levels in check. The juice also contains essential fatty acids, like linoleic acid, which helps lower blood pressure and prevents heart problems. Its anti-spasmodic properties reduce the risk of blood pressure spikes.
12. Heals Wounds Quicker
Triphala has anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties that make it effective in speeding up the healing of wounds (12). This anti-inflammatory characteristic makes it cure and prevent anything from joint pain to bronchitis.
13. Prevents Viral And Bacterial Infections
Be it the common cold or HIV, taking Triphala churn can prevent bacterial and viral infections (13). This is the reason this powder has been a big part of Ayurveda since centuries.
14. Has Anti-Allergic Properties
Triphala churna can be taken by highly sensitive people without triggering any harmful allergic reactions (14).
15. Prevents Cancer
They say nature has a solution for everything, which seems quite right in the case of Triphala churna. This particular medicine is said to carry anti-cancer properties and exhibits radioactive, chemoprotective, and antineoplastic effects (15).
16. Good For Diabetics
Unsurprisingly, Triphala has even found a place in the treatment of diabetes mellitus. This is because of its hypoglycemic effects, which make the intake of insulin by the cells easier, and hence, you don’t need to take insulin shots (16).
17. Cures Dizziness And Motion Sickness
Do you feel dizzy and uncomfortable when you are traveling? Use Triphala to get rid of motion sickness (17).
All you need to do is take two grams (approx. half a teaspoon) of Triphala churna with a teaspoon of honey every time you feel dizzy. You may continue taking this remedy every morning if you are a constant victim of dizziness.
18. Good For Babies
Looking for a relatively safe and effective Ayurvedic solution for your kids? Opt for triphala churna.
Give your kids a small quantity of triphala churna with milk, honey, or even water to eliminate a number of bacterial and viral infections, including cold, cough, and fever, and boosting the immunity as well (18).
However, make sure that you add only a pinch of triphala powder for kids below the age of one and a teaspoon for the older ones.
19. Helps In Regulating Hormonal Imbalances
Are you a victim of irregular and painful periods? It’s time you start regular intake of triphala powder to keep your hormones in check.
All you need to do is to have a glass of warm water with a teaspoon of triphala churna. Consume it two hours after dinner and just before sleeping. This will help regulate the hormones and keep you stress-free. Triphala churna also has a positive effect on our endocrine glands, especially our thyroids (19).
20. Cures Bad Breath
Triphala powder is one of the best Ayurvedic cures for that embarrassing bad breath (20).
Avoid bad breath by mixing half a teaspoon of triphala churna with honey and licking it off. Alternatively, mix a teaspoon each of triphala churna and salt in warm water and gargle this solution every morning to get rid of bad breath.
Skin Benefits Of Triphala Churna
21. Rejuvenates Skin
Want baby soft skin? Use Triphala.
This miraculous powder rejuvenates, moisturizes, smoothens, and softens your skin. This is because of the strong presence of many antioxidant compounds present in Triphala that clear pigmentation and help kill the acne-causing bacteria (21). This characteristic and its emollient property together make Triphala ideal for soothing dry and flaky skin. You should use it thrice in a month for best results.
22. Reduces Dark Circles
You can bid goodbye to panda eyes with the help of triphala. Using triphala water as an eyewash is one of the best ways to get rid of puffy eyes and under-eye dark circles.
It is easy to make and easier to use. Add a small amount of triphala powder in water and wash your eyes thoroughly with it. It will refresh your eyes and reduce the puffiness (22).
23. Treats Eczema
Getting rid of skin disorders like eczema was never this easy. You can apply triphala water directly over the infected area to soothe and treat eczema (23).
Hair Benefits Of Triphala Churna
24. Stimulates Hair Growth
Are you suffering from hair fall or thinning of hair? Go natural with Triphala.
How to use Triphala churna for hair? Mix Triphala churna and water. You can either consume it or apply it topically to help stimulate hair growth (24). Its emollient properties lock moisture in your hair and save you from the threat of alopecia.
25. Treats Dandruff
Using triphala powder as a hair mask can help you get rid of even the most stubborn dandruff within no time (25).
Just mix 2 tablespoons of triphala powder in 4-5 tablespoons of water and massage the paste gently on your scalp. Wash it off after 20-30 minutes.
The Individual Contributors
The triphala churna offers all these wonderful benefits, thanks to its constituents, which are loaded with the goodness of nature. Let’s take a look how they influence our health individually.
1. The Goodness Of Amla
- Amla brings to the churna many benefits of its own. Amla is rich in Vitamin C, which helps in boosting immunity, works as a great antioxidant, and helps absorb food properly to improve digestion.
- Vitamin C in amla helps improve the absorption of iron into the blood and is great for people who suffer from anemia.
- Vitamin C is also a stimulator for the gallbladder and liver. It helps improve digestion and detoxifies the body. It is also a good treatment for girls and women alike who suffer from menstrual problems.
- Amla is also good for the urinary system, respiratory system and removes mucus from the lungs.
- Also, since it stimulates blood circulation, amla stimulates the brain function and absorption of minerals that make your skin, hair, nails, and teeth healthy.
2. The Amazing Harad
- Harad works wonders for the eyes and helps prevent diseases like cataract and glaucoma.
- It improves and aids the healing process. Hence, wounds or ulcers heal faster.
- Harad works great for any kind of skin problems or diseases.
- Harad also works well for the spleen and liver. It boosts your mind and improves clarity.
Harad is good for the skin, and is a wonderful anti-aging remedy.
3. Baheda – The Wonder Herb
- It purifies the blood, burns and removes excess body fat along with harmful toxins, improves eyesight, and has antiviral and antibacterial qualities.
- It also strengthens your hair from the roots and reduces hair fall and graying.
These three together are a powerful pack of health and work wonders for all kinds of health issues and problems. The biggest contributing factor is that they clean the bowels and purify the blood. The two make for most of the problems we face due to improper eating and reduced immunity. Once you get your bowel going and keep your stomach healthy, you can be assured of good health.
How To Make Triphala Churna At Home
Many amongst us actually hesitate to use market products, however natural they claim they are. Just buy these ingredients and make your dose of health in the confines of your home.
What You Need
Before buying the ingredients, keep in mind that they need to be in the ratio 1:2:4 (Harad: Baheda: Amla). Decide your quantities accordingly. I’ll take 20 g for harad.
- Harad – 20 g
- Baheda – 40 g
- Amla – 80 g
- Mortar and pestle
What You Need To Do
- Finely powder Begin by converting all the raw ingredients with the help of a mortar and pestle.
- Filter the resultants and get them into individual stone bowls.
- Now, mix these powders in the ratio 1:2:4 as described earlier.
- Transfer the new mixture in a plastic jar and store it for future use.
How To Use The Triphala Churna
Now that we have established and discussed in detail the many benefits of Triphala churna, it is important to know and understand how to take Triphala churna for best results.
- Triphala With Lemon – One is supposed to eat a spoonful of Triphala with water. But, if you find it tough to gulp it down, mixing it with a little honey, lemon, or sugar is a good idea. However, make sure that you add one of these only to slightly alter the taste of Triphala powder, not to make it taste sweet.
- Triphala In Tea – You can also make tea with the powder to get its benefits. Boil it in water and drink after adding about a teaspoon of honey to the mixture for good taste.
- Triphala As Tablets/Capsules – If you are facing troubles in gulping down the bitter powder, you can go for tablets or capsules that are easily available in the market. You can take a tablet thrice a day, but don’t take it more than that. Taking capsules increases the chances of triphala reaching the exact destination without making you want to puke. And, what’s better? These tablets aren’t that costly too, so you can enjoy the benefits without pondering over your budget.
- Triphala As An Eyewash – You can also use Triphala churna as an eyewash. Just soak 1-2 teaspoons of this mix in lukewarm water overnight and filter it out in the morning. Wash your eyes with the mixture.
- Triphala As A Face Mask- Did you know that achieving young and glowing skin can be easy? All you need to do is make a face mask using triphala. Use it once a week for best results. Heat 3 tablespoons of coconut oil and add 1 1/2 spoons of triphala powder to it. Apply the paste evenly on your face and neck. Wash it off after 10-15 minutes. With regular use, your skin will become smooth and blemish-free.
A Word Of Caution
Even though Triphala churna is a safe choice, there are a few risks involved. Let’s take a look at them:
- Pregnant women should not take triphala due to its downward energy flow, which can even lead to miscarriages. Even breastfeeding mothers should avoid taking triphala as this herb can be passed on to the child via breast milk and can be harmful.
- Don’t give your baby more than a pinch of this powder as it can lead to diarrhea and other stomach troubles.
- Never take more than the recommended quantity of Triphala churna as it may cause loose motions and dehydration.
- If you are diabetic, consult your doctor before consuming triphala.
- Since triphala is highly rich in fiber, its excessive use can lead to bloating problems. So, if you are already suffering from gastric troubles, take mild dosages.
Expert’s Answers for Reader’s Questions
Where can one get triphala churna?
The best thing about Ayurvedic medicine is that can be easily made with a few simple ingredients that are easily available in our kitchen or in the market. One can get the three fruits, dry them in the shade and sun properly, grind and mix them at home for best results.
However, for those who have no time to make it, it is also easily available in the market and on online portals. So, simply buy and use!
What is the effective time to take triphala churna?
There is no set time or season to start its usage. The daily consumption of triphala powder ensures that one gets the desired results.
The best way is to consume the powder early in the morning on an empty stomach with warm water. Another way is to consume the powder at night about 2 hours before bedtime with warm water. It is better to know the dosage that works for you and stick to it. Triphala paves the way for good health and healthy living. One can simply take a spoonful of it each day and bid goodbye to some of the biggest health issues and problems.
What brands are good for Triphala tablets and churna?
If you are looking for pure and genuine products, I would suggest you go for famous yet easily available brands such as Dabur (available on Amazon), Organic India, and Himalaya.
Does triphala churna interact with medications?
This Ayurvedic miracle doesn’t interact with medications when there is a gap of at least 12 hours. However, it is best to consult your doctor before taking Triphala.
Have you ever used Ayurveda for treatment? Has the Triphala powder worked for you? Do share your experience with us in the comments section below.
- 31 Amazing Benefits Of Ashwagandha For Skin, Hair And Health
- 25 Amazing Amla Benefits And Uses
- 19 Effective Ayurvedic Tips For Hair Fall & Hair Regrowth
- 10 Effective Ayurvedic Solutions For Oily Skin
Latest posts by Tanya Choudhary (see all)
- Brown Rice Vs White Rice—Which One Is Better? - January 25, 2017
- 9 Unknown Side Effects Of St. John’s Wort - January 6, 2017
- 50 Saree Blouse Designs For 2017 That Will Amaze You - December 1, 2016
- 7 Reasons Why You Should Save Those Potato Peels - November 30, 2016
- 29 Pictures Of Tamanna Without Makeup - April 17, 2016