The summer months are appetite killers for sure! While that may sound like an amazing idea to those on a diet, the fact is, summers actually tend to pile on the pounds! How? Well, all those ice creams and aerated drinks we gulp down to find some relief from the heat? Yes, exactly. Try and count the calories.There goes your diet.
Now, don’t go into panic mode. You don’t need to starve or stuff yourself with calories during the summer months. There is a third alternative – a healthy yet yummy option this summer. So, here’s the best option for all of us. A Cobb Salad, a combo that makes summer a little more bearable. These salads not only tickle our taste buds but are also loaded with nutrition!
Top 10 Cobb Salad Recipes:
Cobb salad is said to have been created at a restaurant in Los Angeles, by one of its manager, Bob Cobb in 1926. In this salad, ingredients are decoratively arranged in rows, rather than being tossed together. For decades now, it has been a well-loved dish that appears on menus of several American restaurants. To help you relish this sumptuous salad, we have laid down the top 10 most creative and delicious Cobb Salad recipes that are relished throughout the world.
1. Classic Cobb Salad Recipe:
- To prepare the dressing, whisk together 3 tbsp olive oil, 2 tbsp red wine vinegar, 1 tbsp lemon juice, 1 tsp Dijon mustard, 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce, 1 minced garlic clove, 1/4 tsp salt, and freshly ground black pepper.
- In a large bowl, toss romaine and watercress with 2/3rd of the dressing.
- Place some tomato slices on top forming a row down the middle.
- In strips on either side of tomatoes place some avocado, cooked chicken, Roquefort or Blue cheese, 2 diced hard-boiled eggs, and the crisped ham on top of the greens.
- Drizzle the remaining dressing and serve it in a classic way.
2. Lobster Cobb Salad:
- For the dressing, mix 1 finely chopped onion, 2 tbsp Dijon mustard, 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar, 1 tbsp sherry vinegar, 1/3 cup walnut oil, 1/2 cup vegetable oil, and salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- In a large pot of water add some celery, onion, thyme, vinegar, and black pepper and boil for 10 minutes. Cook lobster in this stock for 8 to 10 minutes and then cut it into slices.
- In another mixing bowl, add romaine and some salt and pepper.
- Put 1/3 cup of the dressing to it and toss.
- Arrange the toppings in strips on top of the salad mix, starting on one end with crisped bacon, 1 & 1/2 cup blanched green beans, 6 boiled egg yolk smash, 2 cooked lobsters and egg white slices, and chopped 3 tomatoes, and 2 chopped avocados.
- Sprinkle blue cheese all over the top and serve the remaining dressing on the side.
3. Turkey Cobb Salad:
- Boil 4 eggs and chop only the egg whites (discard the egg yolks).
- Marinate turkey cutlets in paprika, salt, and pepper and then cook it for about 3 minutes per side.
- Combine 3 tbsp vinegar, some paprika, salt, and pepper in a bowl and whisk in 3 tbsp olive oil along with the remaining juices from the turkey.
- Finely chop 1/4 cup of tomatoes and add it to the dressing along with lettuce, chopped turkey, boiled egg whites and avocado.
- Sprinkle with blue cheese.
4. Cobb Salad with Blue Cheese Vinaigrette:
- To make the dressing, whisk together ½ cup grated blue cheese, 1/3 cup vinegar, and 1 tbsp honey-Dijon mustard with 2/3 cup olive oil. Season the vinaigrette mixture with salt, and pepper.
- Toss salad greens (romaine lettuce, Boston lettuce, and watercress) in a large bowl.
- Arrange cooked chicken, crispy bacon, 2 sliced avocados, 3 tomatoes, and blue cheese in uniform rows and add the mixed greens on the top.
- Garnish with grated 4 hard-boiled eggs, and chives.
- Just before serving the salad, pour the cheesy dressing over the salad.
[ Read: Healthy Chinese Salad Recipes ]
5. Cobb Salad with Flank and Chicken Pieces Scattered all over the Greens:
- Marinate flank (a cut of beef) and chicken cutlets in a mixture of chopped garlic, 2 tbsp steak seasoning, 2 tbsp hot sauce, 4 tbsp Worcestershire sauce, 4 tbsp vinegar and 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil for 5 minutes, and then grill them until cooked.
- Place 2 chopped tomatoes, some watercress, 2 slightly under ripe avocados and crisp bacon in a bowl. Dress this salad with juice of 1 lemon and a liberal drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Cut the chicken and flank into thin strips and place it on the serving plate. Top the meats with a stack of the salad.
- Pour the above dressing after combining some zest of a lemon and its juice, 1 tbsp Dijon mustard, salt, pepper powder, and enjoy the salad after topping it with crumbled blue cheese.
6. Barbeque Chicken Cobb Salad:
Mesa Barbeque Sauce:
- Saute 1/2 finely chopped onion and 3 garlic gloves in 2 tbsp butter until translucent.
- Add 6 tomatoes, 1/4 cup ketchup, 3 tbsp dark molasses, 2 tbsp Dijon mustard, 2 tbsp dark brown sugar, 1 tbsp honey, 1 tsp cayenne, 1 tbsp paprika, 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce, and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Puree the mixture and marinate 4 chicken breasts in this barbeque sauce for 2 hours in the refrigerator and then grill until cooked through.
- To make the buttermilk dressing mix together 1/4 cup sour cream, 3/4 cup buttermilk, 2 cloves garlic finely chopped, 3 tbsp finely chopped red onion, 2 tbsp fresh lime juice, 1/4 tsp cayenne, salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Finally arrange red leaf and romaine lettuce and top with the grilled chicken. Garnish with blue cheese, avocado, onion and tomato. Drizzle the buttermilk dressing for that oomph factor in your barbeque chicken cobb salad.
7. Cobb Salad with Eggs, Pickled Beets, and Spicy Sweet Mustard Dressing:
- Place 1 bunch sliced beets, 2 onions, few peppercorns, cloves and bay leaf in a saucepan and simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and add 1/3 cup sugar and 3/4 cup vinegar. Add 4 hard-boiled eggs and refrigerate overnight.
- Whisk together 1 cup Dijon mustard, honey, and rice wine vinegar, 4 tsp tarragon, salt and pepper and set aside.
- Arrange romaine, crumbled bacon, cooked chicken, 1/4 cup Gorgonzola (Italian blue cheese), 1 avocado, 4 pickled eggs, beets and onions on a plate and serve next to a small side dish of dressing.
8. Layered Cobb Salad:
- For the dressing whisk together 3 tbsp red-wine vinegar, 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice, 2 tsp Dijon mustard, 1 minced garlic clove, 1/2 tsp salt and freshly ground black pepper along with ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil until emulsified.
- Spread romaine over a glass bowl and top with an even layer of boiled chicken. Sprinkle crisp bacon over it, and then continue layering with 3 tomatoes, some cheese, 2 avocados, bunches of watercress, and hard-boiled eggs, along with ½ cup chopped chives.
- Just before serving the Layered Cobb Salad, pour the dressing all over it.
[ Read: Healthy Vegetarian Salad Recipes ]
9. Christmas Cobb Salad:
- In a bowl, whisk 2 tbsp maple syrup, brown sugar and apple cider and then add diced ham and mix well. Bake this mixture in pre-heated oven for about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Blanch green beans and mix together in a mixture of some garlic, red pepper flakes, oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper.
- For the vinaigrette mix 2 tbsp mustard paste, 1 tsp vinegar, 1/4 cup olive oil, 1 onion, some thyme, salt, and pepper.
- Take 2 cups boiled pasta, some pickled cucumber and parsley in a bowl along with the vinaigrette and stir.
- Line a large serving bowl with Bibb lettuce and add the pasta.
- Arrange sliced red onions, Gouda, green beans, and cooked ham in rows on top of the pasta and serve in style.
[ Read: Green Bean Salad Recipes ]
10. Grilled Beef Cobb Salad with Prosciutto and Grilled Lemon-Roasted Garlic Dressing and Grilled Garlic Bread:
- Marinate beef cutlets overnight in 1/2 cup olive oil, 3 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped 4 sprigs of rosemary, salt and pepper and then grill for 4 to 5 minutes on each side.
- To make the grilled lemon-roasted garlic vinaigrette blend together 1 tbsp onion, rosemary, ¼ cup lemon juice and garlic until smooth.
- With the motor running, slowly add 1/2 cup olive oil until emulsified and season with salt and pepper.
- Arrange the salad by placing romaine in a large bowl and toss with 1/4 cup of the lemon vinaigrette, salt and pepper.
- Arrange the dressed lettuce at the center of each plate.
- Place some of the prosciutto in a vertical line along the far-left side of the greens.
- Next to that arrange onions, then red tomatoes, followed by yellow tomatoes, 1 & 1/2 cup Gorgonzola, 4 hard cooked eggs and 2 ripe avocados.
- Drizzle with the remaining lemon vinaigrette and garnish with chopped chives.
Tempted after reading such appetizing Cobb Salad recipes? Well! You can now enjoy this American delicacy at the comfort of your home by tossing up this salad in minutes. Do enjoy this delectable treat and don’t forget leave your comments below!
Latest posts by Priyanka Mane (see all)
- 15 Amazing Abdominal Exercises For Women - September 29, 2014
- 17 Fitness, Beauty & Makeup Secrets From Princess Charlotte Casiraghi Of Monaco - June 24, 2014
- Top 10 Healthy Cobb Salad Recipes You Should Try - April 19, 2014
- 20 Amazing Benefits Of Grape Seed Oil For Skin, Hair & Health - March 11, 2014
- 10 Effective Home Remedies To Treat Skin Allergies - March 11, 2014