At first, when I heard the words weight loss and South Indian diet together, I could not help stop laughing at the irony. Was that your reaction too? All those yummy South Indian dishes cannot possibly help lose weight for sure. But it is actually a plausible conclusion. As we all know that most of the South Indian cuisines are either fried or deep fried. There is the use of oil almost in every food item. Dosa is fried on an Indian plate, sambar is seasoned with oil, and vegetables are cooked in oil and sometimes even deep fried. So how does one lose weight being on a South Indian diet?
What and Where to Start?
If you are one of those who love South Indian food and want to lose weight without giving up the food habits, here is offered a simple a diet to lose weight. But make sure you do the following before you begin the diet plan:
Know your Basal Metabolic Rate:
It is nothing but the basic minimum requirements of calories that your body needs for its daily metabolic and bodily function to continue without trouble. A person should ensure that the diet provides minimum calories to the body.
Know your Body Mass Index or BMI:
We need to know our Body Mass Index (BMI) to figure out how much weight loss is within the healthy parameters of the body. It is important because depending on the height, body fat and age, each person should maintain certain weight. Anything above or below the parameter is an indication of unhealthy body.
[ Read: Simple Diet Plan To Reduce Belly Fat ]
What to Do Now?
Now, when you know the BMI and BMR of your body, you can effectively plan your diet by consuming South Indian food and yet manage to lose weight. Described here is a basic plan of South Indian diet for weight loss by maintaining 1200 calories intake daily.
[ Read: 1500 Calorie Diet Plan ]
South Indian Diet Chart for Weight Loss :
Here’s a south Indian diet plan for weight loss which consists of what to and what not include in your regular diet.
- Breakfast: One can consume either 2 idlis with sambhar, raga or ravaganji, or neerdosa without sambhar. This has to be followed by a mid-morning snack of only a full bowl of fruits. One can have a cup of warm water early in the morning, soon after waking up to clear the stomach of toxins and clear the digestive system.
- Lunch: Limit your lunch to one bowl steamed rice or 2 ragi balls and bus saaru, cabbage palya and koshimbiri, one bowl each. Have a diverse plate, but limit the quantities to healthy portions. Add as many vegetables as possible for change of taste and to enjoy your diet without letting your body craving for something else.
- Evening Snacks and Dinner: Avoid any deep fried snacks for evening tea and have only tea without sugar. Have your dinner early and limit it to two rotis, without any oil. Accompany your rotis with a bowl of curd made of skimmed milk and one bowl gojju.
[ Read: Healthy Indian Foods To Keep You Fit ]
Wait for 3 hours before you sleep after your last meal and have a warm glass of water to close the day.
Last Word on Your Diet:
It is important to understand that diet is not about starving your body and giving up the food you love to eat. Diet is about making healthier and right food decisions. It is important to consult your doctor to get your body back in shape and within a healthy weight margin to avoid any complicated medical problems.
So, do not give up your favorite South Indian food, just follow this diet and you will lose weight in no time!
Do you love to eat South Indian food? Have you ever tried south Indian diet food for weight loss? Do share your experience on south Indian diet chart for weight loss with us in the comments section.
Get Flat Rs.500/- Off On Medical Nutrition Therapy By Celes
Loved, trusted & used by 25,000 Modern Indian Women!LOSE WEIGHT NATURALLY
90 Days Exert Chat Support | Personalized Diet Plans | Free Nutritionist Consultation
* Eat, enjoy, lose weight and get healthy with celes!
Latest posts by Maanasi Radhakrishnan (see all)
- How To Remove Hair Color With Baking Soda? - July 20, 2017
- 10 Amazing Health And Beauty Benefits Of Yarrow Essential Oil - September 7, 2015
- 8 Marvelous Benefits Of Cottage Cheese - September 1, 2015
- 33 Marvelous Benefits Of Jaggery (Gur) For Skin And Health - August 31, 2015
- This Is Why You Should Try The Magnificent Monoi Oil - August 20, 2015