Did you ever get the feeling that you had had enough of carbs? One look at that unfortunate photograph with the wrong fat in the wrong place will make you want to kick the carbs off your diet forever.
But there is another simple solution – a high protein, low carb diet that has a fat burning effect, and has worked wonders for many!. Keep reading to find out more!
High Protein Low Carbohydrate Diet:
For anyone looking to lose weight, there are two sides of the coin. Firstly, you reduce how much you consume and then you burn what is stubbornly stored as fat. A high protein and low carbohydrate diet helps you achieve exactly these goals without making many changes to your lifestyle.
The diet has gained much popularity in recent times with its effectiveness in kick starting the body’s metabolism. This happens by reducing the body’s carbohydrate (and calorie) intake, while increasing protein, healthy fats and fiber consumption.
According to research, such a diet improved health outcomes and prevented problems such as obesity and type 2 diabetes (1). A high protein diet normally comprises generous servings of eggs, poultry, meat, fish, shrimp, low-fat cheese, tofu, green leafy vegetables, beans, nuts, celery, yogurt and more. What the diet does not allow is sweetened food items and beverages (2).
Here are the ten interesting high protein low carb diet recipes for you. Take a look!
1. Egg White Frittata:
The eggs in the frittata give you more than 20gm of protein. Not only is it easy to make, but the egg white frittata can also be cooked for a large number of people.
- 8 egg whites
- Half cup crumbled feta cheese
- ¼ chopped onion
- Black pepper
- 1 chopped green pepper
- 1 chopped red pepper
- 2 spoons olive oil
- As you preheat the oven, add olive oil to a medium skillet on low heat.
- Sauté peppers and onions for 7 minutes until tender, then sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Now pour egg whites into the mixture and cook for three minutes. Sprinkle spinach and feta on top.
- Keep uncovered skillet in oven and let it bake for about 10 minutes.
- Using a rubber spatula, loosen the frittata edges and invert onto a plate. Serve.
2. Low-Carb Casserole:
This is a variation to the typical casserole as it gives you at least 35gm of protein for just 6gm of carbs and 500 calories in a single serving.
- 1lb breakfast sausage
- 11 eggs
- 2 cups chopped cauliflower
- 1 chopped red bell pepper
- ¾ lb bacon
- 1 spoon hot sauce
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- Garlic powder
- Salt and pepper
- Cook sausage and bacon in a greased pan, in a preheated oven to a desired consistency. Crumble them into 1 inch pieces.
- Steam cauliflower until it’s tender for 5-8 minutes. Then sauté peppers, onions and other vegetables in skillet.
- Stir the vegetables together with sausage, bacon and seasonings.
- After spreading this mixture in the pan, pour beat up eggs in hot sauce.
- Top it up with cheese. Bake the casserole until the cheese has melted.
3. Yogurt Cantaloupe Bowl:
Nothing says health better than this protein rich, nutritious cantaloupe bowl. Greek yogurt is a great source of protein and this yogurt cantaloupe bowl has less than 150 calories for 20gm of protein.
- Non-fat Greek yogurt
- Half cantaloupe
- 1 spoon fresh blueberries
- 1 spoon fresh raspberries
- 1 spoon raw pepita seeds
- Take the half cantaloupe and scoop out all seeds from its center. Fill this space with the non-fat Greek yogurt.
- Add strawberries and raspberries to the top of the yogurt and sprinkle pepita seeds around them.
- Pick up a spoon and simply scoop bites out of the peel.
4. Lemon Dill Chicken:
Lemon Dill Chicken is highly flavorful but very low in calories. The chicken will comfortably take care of your protein needs.
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- ¼ cup chopped onions
- 3 spoons divided extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- Fresh chopped dill
- 1 cup chicken broth (reduced sodium)
- Salt, freshly ground pepper
- 1 spoon lemon juice
- Using salt and pepper, season chicken breasts on either side. Cook the chicken in 1 ½ teaspoon oil in a large skillet for 3 minutes until browned.
- Place chicken on a plate and enclose in a foil.
- Add remaining oil to pan, reduce heat and cool garlic and onion while stirring for 1 minute. Add 1 tablespoon dill, lemon juice, flour and broth to pan.
- Cook for 3 minutes until the mixture thickens.
- Now return chicken to pan and allow to it simmer for 5 minutes until chicken is cooked through.
- Place chicken on a different platter. Garnish sauce with salt, pepper and now spoon it over the chicken.
5. Tofu Scramble:
This is one dish that can be saved for eating whenever you feel like it.
- 2 blocks firm tofu
- 1 small chopped onion
- 2 spoons grape seed oil
- 1 finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1 finely chopped green bell pepper
- 1 can rinsed black beans
- Freshly ground pepper, salt
- 1 can rinsed black beans
- 5 warmed whole wheat tortillas
- Sliced scallions
- grated cheddar
- chopped avocado
- Line a plate with several paper towels and place tofu. Smash the tofu using a potato masher.
- Over medium heat, add peppers and onions into heated oil in a large skillet.
- Cook until softened. Add cumin and coriander, stir until fragrant.
- Now add tofu, beans and turmeric while stirring often. Cook for 3 minutes until heated through and then season with salt and pepper.
- Serve the scrambled tortillas with garnishing.
6. Grilled Salmon:
Salmon is a good source of healthy fats along with many proteins with very little calories.
- 4 fillets wild salmon
- ¼ cup reduced sodium soy sauce
- ¼ sake
- ¼ mirrin
- Fresh chopped ginger
- Chopped scallions
- Thinly sliced lemon
- Soak a grilling plank for 4 hours in water.
- Meanwhile, take a saucepan and boil ginger, scallions, mirin, sake, sugar and soy sauce. Let cool.
- In a shallow dish, pour marinade over salmon. With lemon slices on top, let it marinate in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Now, place soaked plank over direct heat of preheated grill.
- Place salmon on hot plank, along with lemon slices on top. Close lid and cook until 15 minutes.
7. Protein Pancakes:
These are a great way to save time while allowing you to pack in the protein.
- 4 egg whites
- Half cup low-fat cottage cheese
- Half cup rolled oats
- Pure vanilla extract
- Little baking powder
- Mix the egg whites, cottage cheese, vanilla extract, oats and baking powder.
- On a preheated griddle, cook the mixture on a medium-low heat.
- Let it cook until the mix bubbles.
- Flip the pancake and cook for another minute.
- Serve the pancakes topped with a sliced banana or fresh berries.
8. Tuna Panini:
For its share of protein, a tuna sandwich is amazingly low in calories and carbohydrates. You can have an added bonus of omega-3s and fiber.
- 2 cans drained light tuna
- 1 chopped tomato
- 2 spoons minced red onion
- 2 spoons marinated, chopped artichoke hearts
- Little crumbled feta cheese
- 1 spoon chopped olives
- Lemon juice
- Chopped capers
- Canola oil
- Bread slices
- Flake tuna into a medium bowl. Add onion, tomato, feta, olives, artichokes, lemon juice, capers and pepper. Mix.
- Use the tuna mixture to spread over 4 slices of bread.
- Heat canola oil in a non-stick skillet. Place two Panini in pan and medium skillet on its top. Cook until golden on one side and then flip Panini.
9. Cottage Cheese Fruit Bowl:
Cottage Cheese is a rich source of protein and is a perfect choice to have for a snack on the go.
- 1 cup low-fat cottage cheese
- Slivered almonds
- Dried cranberries
- Half cup canned peaches
- In a bowl, mix cheese, nuts, dried cranberries and peaches.
- Serve with a spoon.
10. Protein Milkshake:
What’s a protein diet without a protein shake? This homemade shake is ideal for complementing a high protein low carb diet.
- Low-fat milk
- Chopped banana
- Low-fat yogurt
- Peanut butter
- Frozen berries
- Protein powder
- Pour milk into a blender and add half cup of yogurt.
- Add a cup of frozen berries of mixed varieties such as strawberries and blueberries.
- Add half chopped banana and blend.
- Using such recipes, you can surely shed those calories. Do you know any more high protein low carb recipes? Share with us in the comments box below.
Latest posts by Sruthi Chowdhry (see all)
- String Bikini Workout – Everything You Need To Know - June 25, 2015
- Modern Day Yoga – Make It A Part Of Your Life - June 25, 2015
- A Complete Guide On Holistic Hair Care - June 22, 2015
- Are Those Nasty Genital Warts Irritating You? These 6 At-Home Remedies Will Definitely Help You - May 20, 2015
- 10 Healthy Sandwiches To Help You Lose Weight - May 19, 2015