Is the buildup of ear wax a problem you can’t seem to shake off? Want to know how you could drain your ears and get that annoying ear wax out? If you nodded along to these questions, you might want to read this post.
Here we list some effective home remedies for ear drainage for you to check out.
1. Steam Treatment:
One of the best ways to clear blocked ears, having a home steam treatment is an effective way of clearing an earwax buildup. For a home steam treatment, dip a towel in a bowl of warm water and cover your head with the towel so that the wet patches rest over your ears. Steam helps open your Eustachian tube (an important part of the middle ear) so that the fluid can flow out.
You can also consider filling a large bowl with water and covering your head with a towel just like when you use steam to clear your lungs. Just make sure that your ear faces the steam. If you begin feeling lightheaded, discontinue this treatment.
[ Read: Home Remedies To Treat Ear Popping ]
You can either choose an OTC decongestant to unblock your ear and drain excess fluid or clear an earwax build up. Don’t dig a Q-Tip (or any sharp object for that matter) deep into your ear. Put a few drops of decongestant in your ears and let them do the trick. Consider lying down on your side to help quicken the process.
Oh boy! What would we do without Newton? Gravity is one of the best ways to drain your ears. To get the gravity treatment, simply lie down on your side or keep your head bent to a side. You may feel a slight pain in your neck if you hold your head to one side constantly, hence lying down is the prudent option. Keep a towel under your ear so that the fluid does not stain your clothes.
Here comes an innovative home remedy for ear discharge! You can consider using a blow-dryer to drain any excess fluid from your ears. The technique is quite debatable and controversial, but it works.
Simply switch your hair dryer to the lowest setting and keep it one foot away from your ear. The warm air will condense, and the steam will force the fluid out of the ear. Stay safe when you use your blow dryer to clear ear fluids. Don’t burn your ears or the sides of your face. If blow drying is too painful or feels uncomfortable, stop doing it immediately.
[ Read: Amazing Benefits Of Tea Tree Oil ]
Usage of humidifiers is one of the best home remedies for ear discharge. Dry air can lead to many respiratory infections and prevents the breakup of ear wax. Use a humidifier while you sleep to encourage steam build up and let the steam do the trick.
Humidifiers are good in winter because the air in your house can be extremely dry. You can get many types and many varieties of humidifiers that can be moved to a location of your convenience.
6. DIY Ear Drops:
Another effective way of using a humidifier is by making your own ear drops at home.
- 1 part rubbing alcohol
- 1 part white vinegar
- A sterilized eye dropper
[ Read: Ear Exercises You Should Do Regularly ]
- Mix all the ingredients together and carefully transfer the solution to a sterile eye dropper.
- Now proceed to lie down and place your head so that the affected ear faces upwards.
- Administer 3-5 drops of this solution to the ear and wait for them to do their work.
- This DIY solution is a drying agent—breaking down infection and ear wax—and has an antibacterial effect as well.
So, now that you know all about the effective home remedies for ear drainage, delay no more! Tell us what worked for you. Leave a comment below.
- 10 Effective Home Remedies For Earache
- Top 10 Effective Home Remedies For Ear Infections
- 10 Effective Home Remedies To Treat Ear Congestion
- 15 Effective Home Remedies To Remove Ear Wax Safely
- 10 Effective Home Remedies For Swimmer’s Ear
Latest posts by Ameya C (see all)
- 8 Facts About Washing Hands That You Don’t Want To Ignore - February 23, 2016
- 5 Best Yoga Asanas For Strong Feet - September 1, 2015
- 10 Best Essential Oils To Treat Hemorrhoids - July 23, 2015
- 5 Amazing Benefits Of Castor Oil Bath - June 12, 2015
- What Is Coachella Diet? - June 10, 2015