Have you tried everything possible to lose weight but in vain? Why not get your hormones checked? Women are vulnerable to hormonal imbalance, food cravings and slow metabolism at all phases of their life. These may be related to pre-menstrual syndrome (PMS), pregnancy, menopause or day to day stress. Research has revealed that appetite, weight loss, metabolism and female hormones are intricately linked. Study of hormone mechanisms in women can help one manage their weight better with personalized diet plan and exercise routine!
Women are more vulnerable to hormonal imbalance than men. Hormones affect women of all ages and it has a great impact on their biological cycle and daily life as well. But, how do hormones affect weight gain?
Some of the hormones responsible for weight gain in women are:
1. Thyroid Hormone:
Deficiency of thyroid is found, especially among women. Hypothyroidism is responsible for weight gain in women. The common symptoms include fatigue, cold intolerance, weight gain, dry skin and constipation. Weight gain is the result of decreased metabolic rate of the body.
Estrogen is the female sex hormone. During menopause, the estrogen level drops, causing weight gain, especially around the gut. Fat cells are found to be another source of estrogen that converts calories into fats. This can also lead to obesity.
[ Read: Natural Tips To Balance Your Hormones ]
During menopause, there is a decrease in the level of progesterone in the body. Decreased level of this hormone does not actually cause weight gain. This actually causes water retention and bloating in women. As such it makes your body feel fuller and heavier.
Some women suffer from the hormonal disorder called Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS). This increases the level of testosterone, which leads to weight gain, menstrual disorders, facial hair, acne and infertility. Testosterone is responsible for muscle mass in women. Due to decrease in the level of testosterone during menopause, there is decrease in the metabolic rate, which consequently results in weight gain.
The hormone insulin is produced by beta cells in the pancreas. Insulin is responsible for the regulation of fat and carbohydrates in the body. Insulin allows the body to use glucose. Insulin is also a causal agent for PCOS that leads to infertility. High insulin level in the blood contributes to weight gain.
6. Stress Hormone Or Cortisol:
Weight gain has another culprit, the stress hormone, cortisol. High level of cortisol leads to increased appetite and subsequent weight gain. Stress and lack of sleep are two causes of high cortisol level in the blood. Cushing’s syndrome is an extreme condition that drives cortisol production.
[ Read: Reasons For Gaining Weight ]
Tips To Avoid Weight Gain For Women:
Losing weight has never been easy. However, implementing these lifestyle changes and food habits might help you reach your weight goals sooner than you thought!
- Following a low-carb diet plan
- Eating only when hungry and at regular intervals
- Eating food wisely and staying away from junk food
- Keeping a record and measuring the progress
- Avoiding alcohol and aerated drinks
- Not substituting sugar for artificial sweeteners
- Exercising regularly
- Reviewing the medications
- Sleeping more or at least for 8 hours
- Stressing less and indulging in meditation
- Consuming less of bakery and dairy products
- Drinking sufficient water
- Eating foods or supplements rich in minerals and vitamins
- Getting into optimal ketosis with low insulin levels
- Getting the hormones checked
Hormonal imbalance in women and the consequent weight gain can be diagnosed and treated as soon as you observe the signs of hormonal imbalance. Treatments may include lifestyle changes, medications or synthetic hormones. Weight gain and hormone problems go hand in hand for women. These were the hormones responsible for weight gain. Be aware of the changes taking place in your body and head to the doctor if you doubt that your hormones are all over the place.
Have you ever experienced weight gain due to hormones? What signs did you notice? Share your experience with us in the comments section below.
- 11 Natural Tips To Balance Your Hormones
- What Are Anti Aging Hormones And How Are They Helpful?
- 3 Major Causes Of Weight Gain Before And After Periods
- 10 Reasons Why Women Gain Weight After 40
- 5 Main Reasons For Weight Gain After Surgery
Latest posts by Rashmi Vilas (see all)
- 25 Best Foods To Increase Your Stamina - January 23, 2015
- What Is Cosmic Energy Meditation And What Are Its Benefits? - January 19, 2015
- 10 Wonderful Relaxation Techniques For Sound Sleep - September 30, 2014
- 10 Effective Home Remedies for Sensitive Teeth - September 26, 2014
- 4 Simple Ways To Make Olive Oil Skin Moisturiser - September 25, 2014