How many times have we seen a perfectly good look ruined by a tacky shade of lipstick?
Even if you have applied the right shade, you may not end up with the best of results. With amateurish application we often find our lipsticks smearing, caking, flaking off or even vanishing completely.
When I went for my first professional party, my lipstick vanished after 15 minutes of munching on the snacks. I was alerted by my coworker and I spent the entire evening touching up my lipstick.
To get that perfect pro look, let’s master the art of applying lipstick perfectly so that your lipstick stays put and looks gorgeous.
Tips On How To Apply Lipstick Perfectly
Things We Need
- Lip Balm/Lip Conditioner
- Compact Powder
- Lip Liner
Step 1: Prep It Up
Always start with prepping your lips. Apply a lip balm/lip conditioner to make the lips soft and supple. Then, apply a lip primer as that would make the lip color stay on longer and wont let the color bleed.
Step 2: Apply A Base
It is important to even out your lips before applying the lip color. Choose a concealer of the shade that matches your lip color, and then apply it with a small fluffy or flat brush. Apply compact powder over it to seal the powder. This technique also makes the lip color stay longer.
Step 3: Line Those Lips
Ensure that you line your lips with a color that matches/complements your lipstick to prevent feathering. Apply it properly from one corner to the other on both the upper and lower lips, drawing the line along the outline of your lips.
Once you are done lining the lips, fill the entire lip area with the same pencil. This would hold the color of your lipstick intact and it will stay put for a longer time.
Step 4: Apply The Lipstick
Once you are done applying the lip pencil, take a lip brush and load it up with the lipstick of your choice. Apply it all over the lips. Start from the center of the lip and move it onto the outer corners. Repeat the same procedure for the lower lip. Ensure you apply it within the outlines of the lip pencil. Go coat by coat and intensify the lip color as and how you want it to look.
If you are not so good at using a lip brush to apply the color, you can directly use the lipstick for the application, as shown in the picture.
Step 5: Define It
It is very important to make the lips looks more defined, and, for that, use a concealer on a small flat brush and work on the edges of the lips as shown in the picture. Blend the concealer gently, making it disappear onto the skin. This way you can also correct the shape of your lips, as well as make them look more defined and perfectly done.
Finish the look by adding a hint of lip gloss for a glam look; or else, just keep it simple for a day wear.
1. To turn a glossy finish lip color into a matte finish, dust on some translucent loose powder on the lips and let it rest for few seconds. Dab them with a flat or a fluffy brush to even the powder out.
2. If you wish to soften the hard lines formed by the lip liner, use your fingers or a Q-tip and blend the edges.
3. To make your lip color last throughout the day, apply the lipstick and cover the lips with a tissue paper and dust some translucent powder over it. This ensures that your lipstick stays put for a really long time.
4. While applying the lipstick with a brush, use an angular brush. This helps in providing a defined look.
5. If you wish to follow the pastel lip trend and do not want to shell out any more money on buying them, you can make your own pastel color (DIY). Use a white pencil all over the lips and pat any of your favorite lip color onto the lips. There you go!
6. To achieve plumper looking lips, apply some cream-based highlighter onto the Cupid’s bow.
Latest posts by Afsha Rangila (see all)
- 5 Easy Steps To Blend Eyeshadows Perfectly –A Step By Step Tutorial - August 24, 2014
- How To Get The Perfect Lip Shape: A Step-By-Step Tutorial - August 6, 2014
- How To Prevent Lipstick From Smudging - July 28, 2014
- Angelina Jolie Eye Makeup: A Step By Step Tutorial - July 18, 2014