How can you burn more calories in a day that can make up for your weight loss? Ever thought how much fat you accumulate by doing no physical activity? Do you know how many calories you should burn to lose one pound of weight a day? There are many ways to burn calories. But before changing your diet drastically or before starting any exercise regime, you need to have a plan.
Read on to find out what it takes to lose a pound.
Weight Loss Goals:
Understanding the path of your weight loss goal is the first step towards losing those extra pounds (1). There may be many around us who would be overweight and each person has his set parameters to burn the calories. A heavier person, for example, would burn more calories per day than a thin person. Similarly, an athlete would burn more in a day than an average person spends in a routine physical activity. While cutting down on sugar and fats is a good choice, there is more to a weight loss-goal than just eliminating a few foods from your diet (2).
How To Burn 3000 Calories A Day:
To burn 3000 calories a day, you need to alter and eat much lesser than your current diet patterns. This means that you must adjust the corresponding amount of calories in the diet before you can achieve the goal. A healthy adult requires 2000 calories for basic functions of the body. Anything you eat above this is used for walking, talking, working and other regular activities.
[ Read: Calories Burnt In One Hour Of Yoga ]
Interestingly, 3500 calories equals about 1 pound of fat. So, in order to lose one pound of fat, you must burn 3500 calories more than you consume. Alternatively, if a person consumes 3500 calories and has no physical activity, it would contribute excess fat equal to one pound. To begin with the weight loss, one should focus on reducing calorie intake and include an intense workout that burns about 1000 calories. This will create a calorie deficit that will immediately start burning the fat. It should take a week to burn a pound of fat in this manner. Also, beginners tend to burn fat faster compared to the regulars (3).
A Pound A Day:
A week is considered as a healthy journey towards stable weight loss. Nonetheless, if losing an entire pound in a single day is important for some reason, here are some intense activities that help burn the calories.
- Running: A very effective activity, running burns 850 calories an hour. However, you would need to run for 4 hours to burn 3000 calories.
- Cross Country Skiing: An intense one hour session burns 1100 calories.
- Swimming: Swimming intensely for an hour helps you burn 700 calories.
- Squash: The sport burns 850 calories in an hour.
- Biking: Intense biking for an hour also burns 850 calories.
- Boxing: Boxing burns 800 calories in an hour.
Other similar intense activities that help burn calories include cycling, rock climbing, dancing, pilates, weight lifting and yoga. Any of these would need a dedicated 4 to 8 hours to effectively burn away 3000 calories.
[ Read: Ways To Burn 300 Calories ]
Zero Calorie Foods:
Eating healthy is a crucial part of a weight loss goal, be it something as quick as ‘a pound a day’ goal. You should ensure your body obtains the necessary nutrition despite the drop in calories. Eat vegetables and whole grains that are high in fibre but low in calories. Better to have zero calorie foods like apples. These foods barely have 50 calories that the body burns to digest it, hence the name. They also provide nutrition and energy as calorie reduction eventually results in a crash. You can also have refreshing beverages like green tea that boosts metabolism.
Maintain A Calorie Log:
Everyone has different energy needs. So, even if you know how to burn 3000 calories a day, you need to make a diet plan along with a burn target. All this should be recorded in a diary so that the plan is adhered to. Include lean meat with high protein intake in your diet. To complement this, choose an activity that burns the desired amount of calories (4).
Possible or not, experts advise gradual weight loss to avoid long-term health complications. Did the post help you find answers? If yes, then please let us know in the comments section below.
- How To Burn 500 Calories In 30 Minutes?
- 5 Simple Ways To Burn 100 Calories At Home
- How Many Calories Does Surya Namaskar Help To Burn?
- 1200 Calories Diet Plan – What Foods To Eat?
- 9 Best Exercises To Help You Burn 2000 Calories A Day
Latest posts by Sruthi Chowdhry (see all)
- String Bikini Workout – Everything You Need To Know - June 25, 2015
- Modern Day Yoga – Make It A Part Of Your Life - June 25, 2015
- A Complete Guide On Holistic Hair Care - June 22, 2015
- Try These 6 Amazing Home Remedies To Strengthen Loose & Shaky Teeth In No Time! - May 24, 2015
- Are Those Nasty Genital Warts Irritating You? These 6 At-Home Remedies Will Definitely Help You - May 20, 2015