French braid? Bo-ring! That’s the one hairstyle that makes every girl say “been there, done that.” But hold your horses for just a moment! This classic braided hairstyle has managed to become trendy again with just a bit of a twist thanks to it being sported by pop culture icons such as Katniss Everdeen and Queen Elsa. Yes, I’m indeed talking about the sweet side French braid! This simple hairstyle is effortlessly chic and is one of those miracles styles that can be sported on any outfit. Going to the beach? Side French braid. Heading out for some Christmas shopping? Side French braid! Have a full day of classes to attend? You know what I’m going to say. So what are you waiting for? Keep reading to see just how to do a gorgeous side French braid!
How To Do A Side French Braid
What You Need
- Hair brush
- Texturizing spray
- Hair elastics
How To Style
1. Brush your hair: Brush out all the knots and tangles from your hair. This will make it easier for you to pick up small sections of hair to add into your braid.
2. Spritz on texturizing spray: Texturizing spray will give your hair some hold and prevent your braid from loosening and your hair from slipping out of it through the day.
3. Part your hair on one side: Part your hair deeply on one side. Section away and tuck in your bangs behind the ear that is on the opposite side. This will keep your bangs out of the way when you’re braiding your hair.
4. Pick up a section of hair and divide it into 3 sections: Pick up a section of hair from right next to the parting and divide it into three equal sections for your braid.
5. Do one stitch of braiding: Start off by doing just one stitch of a simple braid by alternately flipping the back strand over the middle strand and then the front strand over the middle strand.
6. Add more hair to the back strand: Now, to start French braiding, pick up a small section of hair from the crown of your head and add it to the back strand of your braid before flipping it over the middle strand.
7. Add more hair to the front strand: Now, pick up a thin section of hair from near your forehead and add it to the front section of your braid before flipping it over the middle section.
8. Continue French braiding: Keep repeating steps 6 and 7 alternately while following your hairline to continue your French braid down the side of your head.
9. Start adding hair from the back of your head: As you continue French braiding down the side of your head, you will have to start adding hair from the very back of your head to keep going.
10. All your hair will now be in 3 neat sections: Once your French braid has gone past your ear, you will run out of hair to add to it and your hair will be neatly divided into three equal sections. It’s going to be smooth sailing from here.
11. Simply braid the rest of the way down: Now all you have to do is simple braid the rest of the way down. Easy peasy!
12. Pancake your braid: Tug apart and loosen your braid from the center to give it more volume and make it look wider. This will lend a more softer and romantic look to your hairdo.
13. Secure the ends: Just tie up the ends with thin clear hair elastic or one that matches the color of your hair.
14. Conceal the hair elastic: Pick up a thin section of hair from the tail of your braid and wrap it around the hair elastic to hide it from view. Leave the very end of this section out and pull it downward.
15. Tie the ends up with another hair elastic: Tie another hair elastic right under the wrapped section of your hair to secure it in place. Push the hair elastic further up and under this wrapped hair to conceal it completely.
And voila! You’re done! Now, French braiding is one of those things that take a bit of practice to really get the hang of. But once you get the knack, you’ll be French braiding like a pro within minutes! That’s when you can try out a bunch of different hairstyles that involve a side French braid. Here are just a few to get you started!
5 Beautiful Side French Braid Hairstyles
1. Combo Side French Braid
Once you’ve perfected the art of French braiding, you can combine it with pretty much any other braiding style and create a hairdo uniquely your own! You could, for instance, do one small simple braid and incorporate it into your side French braid to create this gorgeous combo braid that’s perfect for school or work!
2. Side French Braid Bun
Instead of just going down one side with your French braid, you can cross it over to the other side (like the famous Katniss braid). Wrap the end of this braid in a bun and accessorize it with a cute little bow to create a more formal updo.
3. Side French Braid Accent
An accent braid is a cute way to add a bit of oomph to the hair down look. This sweet side French braid accent adds a delicate feminine vibe to your hair look. It also takes about 3 minutes to do and looks great on straight, wavy and curly hair!
4. Double Side French Braid Accents
Now here’s a French braid look that is perfect for the biker chick within you. These double side French braid accents look super edgy and cool to say the least. I can totally imagine a biker chick taking off her helmet and shaking her hair to reveal this cool hairstyle under it.
5. Inverted Side French Braid
The inverted side French braid (or the Dutch braid, as it is also known) has been made famous in recent times thanks to Frozen’s Queen Elsa. This gorgeous braid does look something that is fit to be sported by royalty and can be taken to another level by being done on icy gray colored hair.
So, there you have it! Now you know how to perfectly do a side French braid and some cool hairstyles that you can try with it! Comment below to let us know how many attempts it took you to perfect this look and be prepared for my reply that will say, “Same, girl. Same.”
Latest posts by Arshiya Syeda (see all)
- 15 Best At-Home Laser Hair Removal Products – 2018 - March 26, 2018
- How To Air Dry Hair – Best Ways To Air Dry Hair Of All Types - March 23, 2018
- How To Tell The Difference Between Psoriasis And Eczema On Your Scalp - March 21, 2018
- How To Treat Scabs On Your Scalp - March 14, 2018
- The Amazing Benefits Of Bentonite Clay For Hair - March 12, 2018