Manila Luzon, Latrice Royale, Raja and now Conchita (with her beard) – awesome beauty queens in their own rights; willing to make naturally born females have a run for their looks and money too.
Yes, we are talking of drag queens and performers – a community so vibrant and non-judgemental, thanks to the likes of Her Highness RuPaul, drag queens around the world have a platform and recognition of their own.
But, have you taken a look at their makeup? If you would like to learn how the drag queen community beauties doll up, here’s the scoop! Go ahead and read on!
“Dresses And Big Hair”
A famous line from the song CHOP, Manila Luzon and Latrice Royale. That’s exactly what the concept of drag makeup is all about – it is loud and with a clear positive statement to make. But first, ten tips on how to get the makeup right!
- It is important to maintain a skin regime, which would help keep the facial structure healthy and smooth. Applying makeup directly to a face, dry and dull, isn’t the right thing to do.
- False eyelashes shouldn’t be feared – they bring about the feminine touch. When applying eyelashes to the natural lash line, the glue used should set for at least fifteen to twenty seconds before the lashes are placed. Following this, a liquid liner from a reputed brand should be used to help secure the lashes and seal them in place.
- To create an illusion of a slim look to the face, contouring is a must. Contouring helps accentuate the cheekbones and the jaw line, bringing in a sexy definition to the whole persona.
- Searching for the right concealer – the best one would be that hides all blemishes, marks, lines, spots, wrinkles and the works. To help you mask the dark circles, an orange concealer would work best. For yellow and white heads or spots on the skin, use a yellow concealer, and if you have red marks on the face, try the green one.
- The brow bone needs a little shine and shimmer too, and for that, using shimmer powder or a light concealer would be the best to use.
- Shimmer powder can also be used in the place of glitter, should you fancy the no disco-ball effects. The same can be used to set the lip gloss, for contouring, and to bring about an accentuated highlighting too.
- Blending is the key, which, if not done the right way, would make you look like a mess. The right makeup tools and the right technique need to be used.
- Pout those lips, darlings! And for that you would need to apply lipstick on the centre of the lips, and give it a blend outwards. End it with a shade of your favourite lip gloss!
- One dab of translucent powder sets the look.
- For the eyes, use reputed mascara for thick lashes, should you not want to use falsies.
[ Read: How To Get Miley Cyrus Makeup? ]
Drag Queen Makeup Tutorial
To be a pro at the drag queen makeup saga, you need to have the following:
- Branded cosmetic glue stick
- Branded moisturizer
- Branded set of makeup brushes
- Branded foundation
- Branded concealer
- Branded translucent powder
- Branded blush pallet
- Branded range of eye shadow
- A branded eyeliner
- A branded mascara
- A branded lipstick
- False eyelashes
- Wigs (bigger the better)
- Trim and tweeze your eyebrows to perfection.
- With the help of a Q-Tip, apply spirit gum to the brows.
- Use a concealer to hide all the dark circles, blemishes and flaws on the face.
- Apply translucent powder for a smoothening effect.
- Use the foundation in dots and then with the brush to even out the face, the neck and the forehead.
- Touch up with translucent powder to seal the look.
- Take a dark Kajal pencil and create an arch above each brow.
- Grab hold of the lightest eye shadow and colour below the arch and above the brow.
- With the help of an eyeliner, create cat eyes for an intense look on the lids.
- Colour the remaining portion under the natural brow with strong metallic shades.
- Use a white pencil to line the lower lid.
- Below the white line, create a black line with the Kajal pencil.
- Now glue the lashes to the lash, one at a time, before you place them on each lid.
- Once set, draw another line of Kajal right on top of the false lashes.
- To make the jaw line sexy and defined, use contouring near the cheekbones and on the jaw.
- Use a lip liner to line the lips – the colour of the liner should be the same shade as that of the lipstick.
- Add a bright eyeshadow in the middle of the lip for a sexy effect before applying lipstick.
- Use a bright red lipstick for the pouty effect.
- Voila, you are done and ready!
Outstanding, sometimes loud and very dramatic for sure, the talents and skills on applying the right eyeliner and blush cannot be underestimated. Now that you know how to do drag queen makeup, what are you waiting for? Give this a try and let us know your opinions in the comment box below.
Latest posts by Debasree Ghosh (see all)
- How To Choose The Right Hair Color For Olive Skin And Brown Eyes? - July 31, 2015
- The Ultimate Wedding Makeup Guide For Brown Eyes - July 21, 2015
- 7 Simple Tips To Do Rockabilly Makeup - June 5, 2015
- How To Do Drag Queen Makeup? - May 29, 2015