Have you ever tasted the Jamun fruit before? This black fruit is very tasty and also comes with wonderful benefits. On top of that, the vinegar of Jamun fruit is even more beneficial.
So, how and where will you get this Jamun vinegar? Well, you can prepare it right at your home. Would you like to know more? Keep reading!
Jamun (Black Plum) And Its Vinegar – An Overview
The bitter and sweet taste of this fleshy fruit is simply unforgettable. Also known as black plum, it is used for treating stomach pain and possesses diuretic, anti-scorbutic and carminative properties.
The vinegar made from Jamun treats enlarged spleen. It also cures diarrhoea and problems related to urine retention. The polyphenolic compounds present in the black plum are effective against heart diseases, cancer, asthma, diabetes and arthritis. The vinegar of black plum is also effective against several digestive disorders such as bowel spasm, flatulence, dysentery and more.
Making Jamun Vinegar Or ‘Sirka’ At Home
Jamun vinegar can be used in food preparations for adding flavor, dressing, and even for treating certain health problems. Here is a simple method using which you can prepare the Jamun vinegar at home.
- 2 cups Jamun
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon brown or organic white sugar (optional)
- Deseed the Jamuns and put all the flesh in a wide mouthed mason or a glass jar.
- Add water and sugar.
- Cover this container with a muslin cloth. The covering is necessary to prevent bugs, dust or anything else from falling into your solution of vinegar.
- Place the container where it can ferment without any disturbance. Make sure that you keep it away from direct sunlight.
- Let this mixture of water and Jamun sit for 2 months.
- During this time, a thick scum will form at the top of the jar.
- This goofy scum is the cellulose formed by the acetic acid bacteria present in nature and all the unpasteurized, fermented foods. It happens when the airborne and wild yeasts feed on the sugar in the Jamun.
- After around eight weeks, strain the vinegar liquid in a glass bottle. Make sure to pass it through several cheesecloth layers, and a mesh strainer or a fine mesh bag.
- Cover the Jamun vinegar with a cork stopper or a metal cap.
- Strain the liquid again after a month through a clean cloth into the bottle. Cap it and label it.
- Thus, your homemade Jamun sirka or vinegar is ready to add more flavor to your dishes.
[ Read: How To Make Rice Vinegar? ]
Benefits OF Jamun Vinegar
1. Controls Diabetes
Jamun vinegar, when taken during bedtime, slows down the rise in the levels of blood sugar after dinner. It also lowers the morning blood sugar levels. It is exceptionally beneficial in lowering the blood sugar level after you have consumed a high carbohydrate meal.
2. Good For Kidneys
Jamun sirka is extremely beneficial in helping cure most of the kidney related problems. It is effective in treating:
- Burning or pain during urination
- Foul-smelling urine
- Kidney-specific symptoms such as changes in the composition of urine and color
- Low output of urine
- Frequent urination that produces only small amount of urine each time
- Pain in the abdomen, sides and back
3. Helps Treat Urinary Tract Infection
Jamun vinegar is also recommended for treating urinary tract infection with symptoms like:
- Frequent urination
- Vomiting and nausea
- Burning and painful sensation at the time of urinating
- Abdominal pain and muscle aches due to UTI
[ Read: How To Make Apple Cider Vinegar At Home? ]
Other Health Benefits Of Jamun Vinegar Include
- Is an antioxidant
- Is highly nutritious
- Extremely useful in the management of spleen enlargement and liver diseases
- Useful in jaundice and diabetes management
- Serves as an astringent for treating chronic diarrhoea
- Cures abdominal pain and gas
- Improves appetite
- Gives relief from urine retention and indigestion
10 to 15 ml per day
Now that you know how to make Jamun vinegar at home, what are you waiting for? Try it today and share your experiences with us by commenting in the box below!
- 10 Amazing Uses Of Raspberry Vinegar
- Is Apple Cider Vinegar An Effective Treatment For Arthritis?
- 6 Ways To Use Apple Cider Vinegar For Treating Psoriasis
Latest posts by Renold Rajan (see all)
- Why Should You Use Coconut Oil For Tanning? - September 2, 2015
- Beware! 10 Side Effects Of Lemon Myrtle Tea - August 31, 2015
- Stillman Diet: The What, The How And The Why - August 17, 2015
- How To Use Apple Cider Vinegar For Spider Veins - August 17, 2015
- 10 Best Vipassana Meditation Centres In India - August 17, 2015