A beautiful temporary body art design with henna is called mehndi. It has been widely used by the Indian women for traditional functions, especially weddings. Women decorate their palms, feet and other parts of the body with henna paste to get a temporary colour design. In today’s world there are different types of ready-made mehndi cones available, but still the original homemade mehndi which gives the dark red beautiful colour to our skin never goes out out of fashion. Everyone can get mehndi cones of different colors from their nearest beauty store easily but making your own natural mehndi at home is such a nice and natural experience. The natural mehndi gives a better colour and lasts longer than the other chemical and artificial ones. Let us see today the steps of preparing your own mehndi cone at home.
How to make mehndi cone at home:
- Collect a bunch of mehndi leaves, clean them and dry them in sunlight until the leaves turns crispy and dry. Now finely grind these leaves to get the mehendi powder. It’s not just enough to grind it, now you need to sieve this powder twice or thrice to obtain the fine powder. A fine and smooth powder is essential for a smoother application.
- Mix one part of lemon juice with 3 parts of water. Add 3 drops of eucalyptus oil and the prepared mehandi powder to this diluted lemon juice. Blend this mixture well to form a smooth paste. Keep in mind, the paste should neither be too thin nor thick, it should be in a smooth creamy consistency.
- Allow the powder to soak into the lemon mixture for 6 to 7 hours. Let the mehendi paste become even more smoother.
- Now, it’s time to fill them in cones. It is recommended to make 2-3 small cones instead of filling it in a big single cone, because the smaller the cone, the easier the application is. Take a rectangular polythene sheet and fold it to cone shape. Tape the inner corners and centers with lots of cello tape for stiffness. The edge of the cone should be well pointed.
- After the cone is well taped and stiff, fill this mehendi paste inside using a spoon. Now carefully fold the bottom and close it using lots of tape again. The cone should be stiff and well packed with tapes to prevent leakage.
- That’s all. Your mehendi cone is ready for use! Whenever needed, slightly cut the tip of the cone and start designing.
How to make mehndi designs application tips:
Here are a few tips on how to make mehndi design last longer on your hands and feet.
- Mix lemon juice with sugar to make a thick serum. Once your mehndi design is dry, dab this liquid and coat the design using a clean cotton pad. This process prevents chipping and thus you get a darker colour.
- Leave the mehendi design for at least 5 hours to achieve a beautiful dark colour.
- Do not use water or soap to remove your mehendi, it may lead to discoloration. Just shake it off and avoid water usage on hands for ten hours.
- Heat some clove powder on a pan and allow your hands to be exposed the smoke for a while, this process will darken the mehendi design.