If you want to stay fit and healthy, you would undoubtedly have to incorporate a variety of juices in your daily diet. The question is: have you ever tried onion juice? Well, it is quite true that when it comes to juices, we mostly rely on fresh fruits and vegetables. The onion is never our first choice. However, being rich in the organosulfur compound, ‘allicin’, the juice of this vegetable can boost our metabolism, reduce cholesterol levels, improve blood circulation, decrease cardiovascular risks, treat urinary disorders, and so on.
Let us have a look at how to make onion juice at home..
How To Make Onion Juice:
Get the Onion Ready for Juicing:
Before you start extracting the juice, prepare the onion for this purpose. Here is a 3-step way to get an onion ready for juicing:
- Firstly, take a sharp knife (a serrated one will be the best choice) and cut a (1/2)-inch slice from its root end. You have to start with slicing through the vegetable and stop once you reach the skin at the other end without cutting it completely. Now, hold this partly sliced end of the onion and remove a part of the skin across its length. Do the same with the rest of the skin by gripping it with your thumb, index finger and middle finger.
- Secondly, cut a similar (1/2)-inch slice from the other side of the onion. Also, make sure that you have peeled the vegetable completely. When you have removed the two ends of an onion, it becomes much easier for you to cut and chop it for juicing.
- Thirdly, place the peeled onion in the sink under running, lukewarm water in order to rinse it. This step will help you clean the vegetable properly by getting rid of all types of dirt and flecks of skin. Finally, take a fresh paper towel and pat the onion dry.
Extract the Juice from the Onion using a Juicer:
Once the peeled onion is cleaned, you are ready to make onion juice. The easiest way to prepare onion juice is to use a juicer. In this section, we have explained a 5-step procedure of preparing onion juice by using a juicer:
- Step 1: You cannot put a whole onion into a juicer as it is neither effective nor convenient. Conversely, chopping it up or making small chunks of it would also be of no help as they will be too small for use in the juicer. So, just cut it into end-to-end quarters.
- Step 2: While making onion juice, always opt for an electric centrifugal juicer instead of a hand-operated one. Most centrifugal juicers come with a spout as well as a chute, which makes the juicing of hard vegetables like onion, much easier. The chute is used for feeding the juicer and the spout is used for dispensing the filtered juice.
- Step 3: If your juicer does not have a glass container for collecting the extracts, keep a medium-sized bowl right under its dispensing spout, prior to beginning your activity. Since the juice starts coming out as soon as you turn on the juicer, this step will prevent it from getting wasted.
- Step 4: Now, put an onion quarter inside the chute of the juicer and turn the device on. It will smash the vegetable by putting force on it and extract the juice completely. Juice up the other quarters one by one in the same manner. Another great thing about a centrifugal juicer is that you do not need to strain the juice separately. It comes with a different section in which the pulp of the onion is stored while the filtered juice passes through the spout automatically.
- Step 5: Once you are done with juicing the whole onion, clean and wash your juicer properly. You may also have to dip the device in hot lathered water as well as scrub it for quite a few minutes in order to get rid of the strong, long-lasting aroma of the vegetable.
Apart from a juicer, a blender (hand-operated or machine) or even a grater can be used for making onion juice. In case of a blender, you have to follow the aforementioned procedure exactly for preparing the onion for juicing. But while juicing an onion using a grater, there is no need to cut off the opposite ends of the vegetable.
So, are you ready to include onion juice in your diet from now onwards?
Latest posts by Nilankeeta Roy Chowdhury (see all)
- 10 Most Popular Vegetarian Restaurants In Pune - December 26, 2014
- 6 Amazing Benefits Of Step Aerobics For Weight Loss - October 21, 2014
- 4 Steps To Use Mala Beads For Meditation - October 20, 2014
- Top 10 Herbal Cosmetic Brands Available In India - October 20, 2014
- Mahamudra Meditation – What Is It And What Are Its Benefits? - October 8, 2014