Ayurveda firmly believes that everything in the Universe is made up of five elements – Water (Jal), Fire (Agni), Air (Vayu), Space (Akasha), and Earth (Prithvi). These great elements are considered as subtle matter states or energy and are interconnected with each other.
A person’s natural constitution (Prakriti) determines how they are influenced by certain elements more than others. This property categorizes doshas into three types:
1. Pitta dosha, where the fire element is dominating.
2. Vata dosha, where air and space elements are dominating.
3. Kapha dosha, where earth and water elements dominate.
Pitta dosha governs the heat, metabolism, and transformation in the body, mind, and soul. It controls the digestion, metabolism of our sensory perceptions, and how we discriminate things as correct or wrong.
An imbalance in the pitta dosha can lead to depleted digestion and also decreases the metabolism in the body. Ayurveda says that these two symptoms are the root cause of any other disease caused in our body. Thus, it is very essential to know the symptoms of pitta imbalance so that you can prevent diseases caused due to it.
Symptoms Of Pitta Imbalance
1. A Burning Sensation In The Body
Pain and a burning sensation are the most obvious symptoms of pitta dosha imbalance.
2. Excessive Hunger And Thirst
Since pitta dosha is related to fire, an imbalance in pitta causes digestion problems, and you end up feeling hungry and thirsty quite often.
3. Trouble In Sleeping
This is another symptom that is caused due to pitta imbalance. However, trouble in sleeping is also caused due to an increase in the vata dosha as well.
4. Frequent Fever
The increase in temperature is a sign of pitta imbalance. Pitta is related to fire, and this is why there is a frequent increase in the body temperature.
5. Urge To Consume Cold Food Or Drinks
Since your body is unable to control the excessive heat produced because of the pitta imbalance, it craves for cold drinks to balance out the heat. A person with pitta imbalance also loses his tolerance to stay in the sun or to be in contact with hot water for a longer time.
Usually, a person with pitta dominance sweats a lot and his/her sweat emits a foul smell.
7. Inflammation In The Body
Pitta is made up of fire and water, and thus, inflammation along with moistness is common.
8. Intolerance To Spicy Food
Spicy food causes an increase in pitta, and the body becomes intolerant towards it. Also, it leads to frequent and hard stools.
9. Premature Graying Of Hair
Though early baldness is a symptom of vata imbalance, premature graying is a symptom of pitta imbalance.
10. Ulcers Or Pus From Wounds
The condition of wounds becomes worse due to an imbalance of pitta and it causes pus or oozing.
When pitta increases, you can notice a yellow discoloration of the skin, eyes, urine, and even feces. Thus, any disease causing redness or paleness in your body is a direct indication of pitta imbalance. Jaundice is one such example.
The pitta imbalance symptoms are quite different as per Charaka. They are as follows:
1. Itching sensation i.e. kandu
2. Perspiration i.e. sveda
3. Redness of the skin i.e. raaga
4. Burning sensation i.e. daaha
5. Suppuration i.e. paaka
6. Frequent discharge from the body, mostly in the form of pus i.e. srava
7. Body heat i.e. ushna
8. Sloughing i.e. kleda
However, decrease in the pitta dosha causes following symptoms:
1. Lack of luster in the body
2. Lack of warmth in the body
3. Weak digestive system
4. Dullness and lack of interest in any kind of work
These are the effects of pitta imbalance in our body. If you notice the above symptoms, please consult a doctor right away. Hope you found the above information useful. Share your views in the comments box below.
- How You Can Observe The Symptoms Of Kapha Dosha Imbalance In Your Body
- Ayurveda Says Eating These At Night Will Make You Healthy. Take A Look!
- Ayurvedic Treatment And Home Remedies To Treat Migraine
Latest posts by Jyotsana Rao (see all)
- The Complete Headache Guide: All You Need To Know - January 4, 2017
- My Husband Stopped Snoring When I Started Giving Him This Magical Drink! - January 3, 2017
- Stop Following These 8 Habits Right Now If You Want To Protect Your Hair - December 30, 2016
- 12 ‘Healthy’ Habits You Should Give Up In 2017 - December 29, 2016
- Top 15 Anti-Wrinkle Foods (Including Chocolates!) To Prevent And Reduce Wrinkles - December 28, 2016