The hair color you wish to flaunt can be a very tricky situation. It can instantaneously transform your look from fabulous to disastrous. How to choose the best hair color for skin tone? If you want to know, then stay tuned and go through the article.
You have a natural factor in the genes that determine your hair, eye and skin color. This factor determines how your skin will change its color depending on the weather so you need to be very careful while choosing a color for your hair. But before that, let’s talk about how permanent hair color works.
How Does Permanent Hair Color Work?
Let me warn you. There are names of a few chemicals in this section. So, if you’re one of those who think that chemicals are the end of the world as we know it, then I reckon you stop reading just about now.
Permanent hair color removes pigment from the hair and deposits color into the hair follicles by way of oxidation. It does so by using a bleaching and coloring agent, which generally comprises of hydrogen peroxide and ammonia.
So, that’s that. Let’s face it, the more chemicals a coloring product contains, the better and long-lasting its effect is. However, just because it has (requisite) chemicals does not mean it cannot take care of your hair. By this I mean that they design a special conditioner to nourish your hair and everything. But let’s just cut them some slack, shall we?
What Are The Benefits Of Permanent Hair Coloring?
For starters, it helps you to get rid of those nasty grays that threaten to make you look way older than you are.
It also comes in handy when you’re in one of those moods and want to know where your life is headed, so you get your hair colored in a shade that is totally unlike you. (What? You haven’t done this?)
If you’re more of a reluctant experimenter, then permanent hair color can make your hair up to 2 tones lighter or darker than your current hair color, as opposed to semi-permanent hair color which can only darken it.
How To Use It?
Now here’s the part that will show you how easy it is to get your hair colored minus a nail-biting trip to the salon. You’ll need to go hair color shopping. So, go to a drug or beauty store you trust and pick a color that you want. Take advice and suggestions from friends or the staff if you must. The color is going to stay with you for pretty long, so it’s worth taking a second opinion.
Now, here are the simple instructions to apply the color you’ve chosen.
- Make sure your hair is unwashed (for at least 12 hours) prior to application. The natural oils in the scalp will aid the coloring process as the chemicals will dry your hair up considerably.
- As per the instructions on the box that you receive, you will have to mix the developer and the coloring agent. Ensure that you’re wearing the gloves that come in the box to prevent staining, irritation, or allergies.
- Remember to always do a strand test first. This is a must! Take a tiny section of your hair (hold it up to see if you can see through it).
- Using the applicator, apply a bit of the solution that you have made on this section of the hair. Wait for about twenty minutes to check if you have any reactions like tingling or burning. If you do, hair coloring might not be a viable option for you.
- If nothing of that sort happens, proceed to dividing your hair into fine sections and color each of them completely.
- Time yourself (as per the box) from the moment you’re done applying the color and then wash and condition it with the conditioner provided in the box.
- Dry your hair and style it as usual.
Voila! It’s that simple, really. From blah to wow in 1 hour flat! Remember, permanent hair color does not wash out completely. Your hair has to grow out of it. So when you see that little ring of your natural hair color forming, you know it’s time for a touch-up or a new shade if you must!
Tips To Choose The Best Hair Color For Skin Tone
- Check if you are warm toned or cool toned person. To check if you are warm or cool, check your wrist in normal sunlight. If the wrists’ inner part looks green then you are warm toned, if blue then you are cool toned.
- If you have golden – yellow undertones in your skin, then hair color which have warm overtones will look good on you. Copper blond color is one such color.
- If you have pink – white undertones for your skin then you are a cool toned person. Cool overtone colors will look good on you. Golden brown is one hair color.
- If you are extremely pale then don’t go for black or very dark hair color. It will make you look paler than you already are. Dark hair can also make you look older than you are if out on pale skin toned people.
- Determine the kind of colors in your outfit that suit your skin tone
- If you look good in red, orange, golden yellow, green = golden blond, golden brown, strawberry blond and auburn.
- If you look good in bluish red, fuchsia, black, royal blue = platinum, ash blond, ash brown, burgundy and jet black.
- If you look good in red, purple, charcoal gray, teal = sandy blond, beige blond, chocolate brown and mahogany.
- Your eye color also plays an important role in determining the color of hair that will suit your skin tone.
- People with hazel, green and brown eyes can go for warm overtones in colors. Golden blond, golden brown and burgundy are some of them
- People with blue or gray eyes can go for cool overtones in hair color. Platinum, ash blond, ash brown, blond colors will suit these people more.
- If you are thinking of dying hair into non-natural colors such as purple, blue, and green, think about how this might clash with your current wardrobe and jewelry. Also, it should go with the dress code at work or school.
The brightest of all the colors is Red. If you are thinking about coloring your hair red then you might as well streak it and not color it totally. That works perfectly.
[ Read: Sunsilk Hair Care Products ]
1. For Fair Skin And Dark Hair:
People who belong to this category can try out any color.
Dark hair will not hold color properly and you will not see any color pay off. You first need to bleach dark hair before any light or other color is applied on the same. This makes it easy for you to try anything out.
Go for the dark colors with vibrant undertones.
A great way to color your hair if you fall under this category is to go for highlights. The blond shades, the reds and light browns or chocolate shades will work best on this skin tone.
If you think you can pull it off, or if you are in the mood to experiment, then do try out some neon colors!
2. Fair Skin And Light Hair
People in this category should definitely give the Ombre effect a try. The dark tinge of hair will complement this skin tone really well.
3. For Wheatish Skin And Dark Hair:
Global coloring with dark colors will look beautiful on people with this combination. You can go for dark plum shades and browns. Alternatively, you can also select the low lights. Choose a new haircut which would make the hair lowlights visible.
The ideal colors for you would be chocolate browns, dull reds, maroons, and dark cool colors like the blues or the purples.
4. For Dark Skin And Dark Hair:
For this combination, the highlights should be restricted to a few colors keeping the dark hair in mind.
Since the hair is already dark, global hair coloring can be chosen between the maroons and browns. Choose the shade which is near to the natural hair color.
Whatever color you choose to wear, remember it is the confidence that matters. There may be a lot of guidelines about the perfect color match, but if you feel you can wear it with style, definitely go for it.
Some More Easy Hair Color Tips
- If you already have a tinge of brown on your hair, as some girls are born with, and have a fair complexion, then go for red streaks on your hair, you will look awesome.
- The same goes for people having a darker skin tone, using burgundy or brown will ruin your looks for good. Go for streaks as in Dark red or go for some blond streaks. It’s best to go for you, not to go in for full hair color, since your skin tone is darker.
[ Read: Loreal Professional Hair Color Shades ]
- If you do have a dark skin tone, lets say very dark like African Americans, then and still want to go in for full hair color, or lets say you suffer from gray hair and want full coverage, then choose a subtle blond color , which is between brown and blond but not total blond, a suppressed blond
- If you have wheatish complexion, well we Indians love playing with our hair colors, you can do streaks of red/ or / blue on your hair, or go in for a burgundy color or even light brown.
- Going for a full head blond or golden can be real difficult to carry like the Amisha Patel disaster ( if anyone can relate back to the years when Amisha patel sported a full long length golden hair and got loads of criticisms ). I mean, come on, we are Indians you don’t really need to go in for being blondies, you can play with reds, browns , light browns, burgundies, actually our options are quite wide to say the least , it’s a good thing right? Appreciate what you are born with!
[ Read: Hair color ]
Types Of Natural Highlights To Choose From
1. Medium Brown With Gold
For all the beauties with hair that is not too brown or not too black, gold is the perfect color to get highlights in. Gold highlights scream confidence and shows that you’re not afraid to take risks.
This is a trend that took the fashion world by storm in 2013 and looks like it’s here to stay. Graduated fading of color from the bottom to the top is a perfect way to highlight your dazzling mane.
3. Black With Red
Are you one of those lucky women with long and lustrous jet black hair? Are you still not happy with it? How about getting some deep red highlights to make that statement you so obviously want to?
4. Dark Brown With Caramel
And you thought no good could come out of caramel. Just imagine a delicious, moist walnut brownie, dripping with golden molten caramel. That’s what your hair will look like. Yummy!
5. Black With Chocolate
There is no truer love than that of chocolate. Any sane woman will attest to that. So what if you can’t eat it as much you’d like to? Declare your love for cocoa goodness by highlighting your black hair in its color!
6. Dark Brown With Light Brown
Let two long-lost souls have a not-so-tearful reunion. Couple dark brown hair with light brown highlights and you’ll see that it’s a match made in heaven.
7. Black With Honey
Oh honey! The rich and delectable nectar that sweetens our lives so! Watch it work its magic in your black hair when you highlight it in its golden goodness.
8. Black Or Deep Brown With Burgundy
For the uninitiated, burgundy is a shade between deep red and maroon. It’s neither here nor there but is one of the most popular color choices for women with dark brown or black hair to get highlights in, so go figure.
[Read:Best Plum Hair Colours]
9. Black With Coffee
Looks like we’re not done with our dedications to beverages and foods yet. Exquisite coffee highlights are just what the doctor ordered for midnight black hair. Sigh!
10. Black With Copper
Be warned! Copper highlights are not for the faint-hearted, even though your daily encounters with women who seem to be getting them may tell you otherwise. They need thought, they need consideration, but most of all, they need a gorgeous head of jet black hair to be sported with panache.
Word to the wise: though highlights may seem like the trend to follow, remember that the color you choose is what will define your look for the next … ummm … let’s say … six months. So make an informed decision to avoid committing a major faux pas.
Hope you find all these tips on hair colors for your skin tone useful. Go through them once before you take the final call and color your hair. Stay gorgeous!