For keeping hair in top shape, both men and women can go to any length these days! From applying a nourishing hair mask to oil packs, a lot of products and concoctions can be used to enhance the health and appearance of your hair. Hair grooming experts and top salons often offer hair toning packages to their clients.
However, you can make your own hair toner at home! Would you like to know more? Then please read this post!
Homemade Toner To Manage Brassy Hair:
This is ideal for those who are blonde or have opted for a blonde hair dye in recent times. Getting the right and stunning blonde shade for hair is tougher than what most people imagine. It often gets too brassy or overtly yellow. To tone down the excess, applying a hair toner is a must. This is the best at home toner for brassy hair.
You Will Need:
- Hair conditioner from a good brand
- Blue food colouring
- Purple food colouring
How To Prepare The Toner:
- At first, take some water in a glass and mix purple food colour and use a spoon for stirring.
- Now, add a small amount of blue food colouring and add to the water.
- This will eventually turn the water dark blue.
- Then, take a large amount of hair conditioner in a bowl. Mix the dark blue water into it and stir it carefully. The mixture will become light violet in colour.
Now, start applying the conditioner-toner mix to your hair. Apply it like regular hair colour with a brush. This should be left on the hair for half an hour or a little more. This, however, depends on how yellowish or brassy your hair looks! Make sure you should wash it off with clean water.
[ Read: Homemade Conditioners For Dry Hair ]
Why Opt For Homemade Hair Toner Solutions?
While you can always rush to the nearby salon or beauty parlour to get hair toning done, opting for a homemade hair toner solution has its own advantages. They are: ¬ After getting your hair dyed from a top salon, you may not want to bleed your wallet further for getting the toning job. You can easily prepare hair toner solutions at home without spending much money or time.
Another advantage of using homemade hair toners is that they do not contain many chemical ingredients, thereby reducing the risk of side effects on scalp and hair.
[ Read: Conditioners For Dry And Frizzy Hair ]
When To Apply Hair Toner:
A lot of people opt for hair toners at home or parlours when the hair colour begins to fade, or when the highlights look faded after a few washes. However, you can go for it just after bleaching the hair. It would be good if you apply a semi permanent hair colour before toning the hair. These hair colours contain very small amounts of peroxide, and hence, the chances of hair colour fading is quite low.
Toning Vinegar Rinse:
This is a variation of homemade hair toner that uses vinegar instead of a conditioner. You can use purple food colouring or blue colouring with it. There are some people who put in a few drops of red colour too.
How To Apply Hair Toner:
- First, you need to apply conditioner on hair and rinse it well with water.
- Then, pour the vinegar and colour mix on hair.
- Massage slowly so that it gets distributed on the hair evenly. It may be a prudent thing to apply this on a patch of hair first, and then try on the entire hair.
- Do not worry about the aroma of vinegar lingering. This smell eventually vanishes after you rinse the hair with clean water and dry the hair.
Homemade Yellow Hair Toner (Herb Based):
This homemade hair toner is meant for fixing yellowish hair, generally obtained after a hair dye. This happens when the bleach lightens hair colour and the natural pigment shows itself. Based on the natural shade of your hair colour, the pigment can be pale yellow to dark red. While a number of people use food colouring agents to take on bleached hair, there is a natural alternative to this toning approach. It is ideal if you are uncomfortable using chemicals on your coloured hair.
You Will Need:
- Hollyhock herbs
- Apple cider vinegar
How To Prepare The Toner:
- At first, you need to boil some water and then add vinegar and hollyhock to it.
- Now, cover the pot and let the concoction simmer for a few minutes.
- Allow it to get thicker in consistency. This can be kept aside for 30 minutes or so.
- Then, shampoo the hair and pour the cooled vinegar and rinse slowly.
- Gently massage it on the scalp with fingers. Let the vinegar solution remain on hair for some time. Then rinse it off with clean water and dry it.
[ Read: Homemade Conditioners For Damaged Hair ]
Choosing The Right Hair Toner:
Just like it is important to choose a suitable colour for your hair, it is equally imperative that you know which toner would do justice to your hair colour. Toners can be made or bought to suit various types of hair colours. A majority of people pick from beige, purple, green or reddish toners for their hair.
You need to remember that hair toners are used to neutralize complementary colours on hair- they are not meant to colourize hair as such! A toner actually counteracts pigmentation. For instance, using reddish hair toner will be helpful to neutralize green tinges that appear after bleaching. The opposite is also true. A basic concept of colour wheel is what you need for picking the most apt hue for a hair toner.
We hope this post has helped you. Do give us your feedback by commenting in the box below!
- 10 Best Toners For Colored Hair
- 10 Best Toners To Treat White Hair
- How To Choose The Right Toner For Highlighted Hair?
- 10 Best Toner Shampoos You Can Try Today
Latest posts by Chetana (see all)
- What Happens 10 Minutes Before A Heat Stroke? - December 15, 2015
- Skin Gym Face Fitness For A Younger And Healthy Face - June 25, 2015
- 10 Best Health Benefits Of Chicory Root - June 24, 2015
- Is Coconut Oil An Effective Remedy To Treat Candida? - June 22, 2015
- 10 Side Effects Of Neem You Should Be Aware Of - June 18, 2015