Have you developed dark spots on your face due to aging or exposure to harsh chemicals? Have all your efforts to lighten these spots gone in vain? If you are on the lookout for a natural remedy to do away with these dark spots without drying up your face, then lemon juice is what you must try.
Would you like to know more? Keep reading this post.
What Causes Dark Spots
The common cause of pigmentation or formation of dark spots is the over-secretion of the pigment melanin (1). Certain skin areas are triggered when they are exposed to the sun’s rays, and they start producing excess melanin thereby causing dark or brown spots. Some other causes of dark spots include pregnancy, hormonal imbalance, vitamin deficiency, intestinal disorders, mineral deficiency, intake of strong medications, menopause and stress.
Aestheticians and beauticians suggest different products for removing and lightening dark spots. But most of the bleaching products available in the medical stores and the chemists contain bleaching agents mixed with lubricants that can damage your skin in the long run. That is why you must try to use natural ingredients and elements for treating dark spots.
[ Read: Homemade Face Packs To Treat Dark Spots ]
Lemon Juice For Dark Spots
The amazing thing about home remedies is that they do not cause any side effects and are inexpensive. Among these home remedies, lemon juice is one of the most readily available. Although using lemon juice may not give results that are as quick as with bleaching creams (they go away equally fast), with patience, you will get to see remarkable results in a few weeks.
How Does Lemon Juice Work On Dark Spots?
Lemon juice has the same bleaching properties that OTC products contain. Its natural acidity works as an organic bleaching agent, which, on prolonged use, can slowly reduce dark brown spots. It helps break down the melanin pigmentation and also curbs the over-production of melanin that causes the darkening of the skin. Thanks to the exfoliating properties of lemon juice, even the most stubborn brown spots will begin to fade away.
Like you all know, lemon juice contains Vitamin C that is scientifically proven to bring down the production of melanin in the body. Citric acid is also one of the 5 Alpha Hydroxy acids that are effective and essential for skin exfoliation.
However, studies suggest that one should not use lemon juice on the skin and walk out in the sun immediately, as this may cause the skin to burn!
Below are a few home remedies using lemon juice that you can try if you are tormented by dark spots that refuse to go:
1. Fresh Lemon And Parsley
For this, you will require the following:
- Fresh lemons
- Fresh parsley
- Spray bottle
- Cleanse the face using warm water and a gentle cleanser to remove all the dirt and makeup from the skin.
- Rinse well with water.
- Exfoliate the skin to remove dead skin cells by gently blotting the skin with a soft towel and a good quality moisturizer. Exfoliating on a regular basis is a must for removing the dead cellular debris.
- Add 1 cup of freshly chopped parsley in a teapot with 2 cups of water. Boil for 15 minutes.
- Strain the infusion of parsley and add a few drops of lemon juice to it.
- Let the liquid cool and then apply it on the dark spots using a cotton ball.
- Let it stay for around 30 minutes and then rinse with plain water.
- Refrigerate the leftover parsley and lemon juice infusion and spray it daily on your face to lighten the brown or dark spots.
2. Applying Lemon Juice Directly
You can also apply lemon juice directly on the spots, especially on the elbows and kneecaps, where the skin is a little rough. However, do not apply the lemon juice on the facial skin without diluting it, or your skin may become drier due to pH imbalance.
3. Hummus And Lemon Juice
Does lemon juice lighten dark spots? The mask of hummus and lemon juice effectively lightens the dark spots. You can use prepared hummus for the pack or prepare it on your own.
- Mash 1cup of garbanzo beans with ½ a cup of tahini in a food processor and make a smooth paste.
- Add 2 to 3 tablespoons of lemon juice to the paste and mix well.
- Apply the mixture on the dark spots and let the mask stay for around 30 minutes or until it has dried completely.
- Rinse off with lukewarm water.
- For faster results, repeat daily.
[ Read: Home Remedies For Dark Spots On Face ]
4. Other Remedies
- For lightening the dark spots, combine 1tablespoon of honey with 5 drops of freshly squeezed lemon juice and apply on the affected areas.
- Make a paste of lemon juice and turmeric to lighten the dark spots.
- For a cooling effect on the darkened spots, combine cucumber juice with lemon juice and apply.
Lastly, for a better effect, avoid using bottled lemon juice to remove dark spots. Always squeeze fresh lemon juice every time before application. The citric acid in lemon juice can make your skin sensitive to UV rays. So, you must avoid going directly in the sun immediately after applying the lemon juice pack or juice.
Have you ever tried lemon juice for dark spots removal? How has it helped you? Do give us your feedback by commenting in the box below.
- 12 Home Remedies for Dark Spots on Face
- 5 Simple Ways To Remove Red Spots On Skin?
- 4 Ways For Effective Skin Spots Treatment
- How To Get Rid Of Dark Spots on Your Hands?
Latest posts by Maanasi Radhakrishnan (see all)
- 10 Amazing Health And Beauty Benefits Of Yarrow Essential Oil - September 7, 2015
- 8 Marvelous Benefits Of Cottage Cheese - September 1, 2015
- 33 Marvelous Benefits Of Jaggery (Gur) For Skin And Health - August 31, 2015
- A to Z Of Diverticulitis Diet - August 27, 2015
- This Is Why You Should Try The Magnificent Monoi Oil - August 20, 2015