Nothing is worse than a dye-job gone wrong. Washing your hair to only get a result that is the farthest thing from what you wanted can throw you, head-first, into panic mode. But calm down. Now, take a deep breath because there is a solution – Baking soda. Read on to know how you can use baking soda to remove hair color.
How To Use Baking Soda To Remove Hair Color
What most people don’t know about baking soda is that it is an excellent ingredient for clarifying your hair. It not only helps remove dirt and grime, but it also helps speed up color fading. Follow the steps below to remove hair color using baking soda.
You Will Need
- Anti-dandruff Shampoo
- 1 tbsp Baking Soda
- Plastic Bowl
- Spoon for stirring
Wash your hair with an anti-dandruff shampoo. These shampoos are stronger and will help strip the color from your hair.
In a bowl, mix one tablespoon of baking soda with one tablespoon of the same anti-dandruff shampoo. Stir with a spoon until you get a well-combined mixture.
Massage this mixture into the colored parts of your hair and leave it on for 5-10 minutes.
Rinse off the mixture. This is where the conditioner comes in because your hair will start to feel a little dry at this point.
Apply conditioner to your hair and leave it in for about 15 minutes before you rinse it out.
Using the baking soda method can speed up the fading process and help get rid of the color sooner. The best part is, you won’t have to fry your hair with bleach just to get rid of the color. Not to mention, it’s easier on the budget. However, if you do not want to put baking soda in your hair, read on to find other methods that can help remove hair color.
Other Ways Of Removing Hair Dye
This is the most common method used for hair color removal, and also the harshest. Since it can damage your hair, it is best to opt for this method only as a last resort, if you have not got the desired result with other methods. Bleaching hair that is already lightened can cause severe damage to it. Hence, bleaching is effective when you need to remove permanent hair color.
2. Anti-Dandruff Shampoo
If you did not know already, an anti-dandruff shampoo is a great option when you want to remove hair color. It works well on semi-permanent color, but you will need to wash a couple of times before you see the results. It is important to always use a conditioner when you use this method as an anti-dandruff shampoo can make your hair quite dry.
3. Vitamin C Treatment
This method works well on semi-permanent hair color. All you need to do is mix effervescent Vitamin C tablets and shampoo. You will need 1 or 2 tablets of 1,000 mg each. You can also use 1 or 2 grams of Vitamin C powder, but the tablets work better. Mix the crushed tablets with shampoo and apply on hair, making sure that you cover each strand. Leave it on for 20 minutes at the longest and then rinse.
4. Bath Salts
Yes, you can use bath salts that contain sodium bicarbonate and Epsom salts to remove unwanted hair color. It is great for semi-permanent hair dyes. All you need to do is draw a bath, add the bath salts, and then soak your hair in the water. Leave it on for as long as possible. If your hair has a lot of pigment, you will actually see the color seeping out. This is an easy and affordable way to remove hair color that you do not want.
5. Color Removers
These products are easily available and are great for removing permanent hair colors. There are two types of color removers – color reducers and color strippers. The first is the best as it does minimal damage to your hair. On the other hand, color strippers work like bleach, and hence, it is best to avoid them. When you use a color reducer, you make sure that your hair’s natural color is not meddled with, and only the dye is stripped off. When using this product, make sure you follow the instructions given by the manufacturer very carefully.
You do not always need to go for expensive salon hair color removal treatments. You can remove unwanted hair color at home using simple methods with easy-to-get ingredients. All you need to do is make sure that you know your hair type and pick a method that will do the least damage to your hair. You should also remember to use a conditioner after a treatment to make sure that your hair is soft and smooth. With these tips in mind, you can go ahead and remove color from your hair with ease.
Removing dye from your hair is no longer an uphill task. The next time you want to take that color off your hair, whether it is time to color again or because you do not like the color, simply try one of these steps! They are bound to work!
A Few Tips To Remember Other Ways Of Removing Hair Dye
- The first wash will not remove the color from your hair completely. In many cases, a couple of washes are required to make sure that there is no trace of hair color left. For removing semi-permanent hair color more effectively, use water that is as hot as you can tolerate. It will make your hair a little dry, but the conditioner will help prevent that and make your hair soft and smooth.
- The quicker you remove the hair color, the better. Experts recommend removing color from your hair within three days after coloring, as the color would not have set in yet.
- Always use a conditioner when you use hair color removal products. As mentioned earlier, a conditioner keeps your hair from becoming dry and brittle because of hot water and instead, makes it soft. It also protects your hair from damage.
- When you remove hair color with baking powder or any other product, it is best to leave your hair untreated for a while. Using another treatment too soon can damage your hair. Experts recommend waiting for at least three days before using any other hair treatment.
Getting rid of unwanted hair color is no longer a major problem. When you have baking soda, you can do it easily without having to go to a salon. Forget about spending money on professional hair color removal products, and use baking soda to do it easily at home.
Have you tried any of these methods to remove hair color earlier? How did it help you? Do tell us by commenting in the box below.
- 23 Creative Uses Of Baking Soda You Never Knew
- 5 Simple Ways To Prevent Hair Color From Staining Skin
- How To Make Lemon And Baking Soda Mask?
- Can Baking Soda Whiten Your Underarms?
Latest posts by Maanasi Radhakrishnan (see all)
- 10 Amazing Health And Beauty Benefits Of Yarrow Essential Oil - September 7, 2015
- 8 Marvelous Benefits Of Cottage Cheese - September 1, 2015
- 33 Marvelous Benefits Of Jaggery (Gur) For Skin And Health - August 31, 2015
- A to Z Of Diverticulitis Diet - August 27, 2015
- This Is Why You Should Try The Magnificent Monoi Oil - August 20, 2015