All of us dream of having healthy, shiny and beautiful locks – hair that would be our crowning glory! Unfortunately hair fall has become a nagging problem nowadays. Hair loss is a common issue that affects millions around the world. Though it is painless, it can be a distressing experience to lose hair on a daily basis considering that women associate hair with beauty. No one wants to go bald (men accept it as a natural result of ageing) or look old at a young age.
How many times have you seen your comb or brush covered with hair and worried?
Hair fall can even occur when oiling or shampooing. According to beauty experts, it is normal to lose about 100 strands of hair in a day. Beyond this count, it may be considered as severe hair fall.
What Causes Hair Fall?
The common reasons behind hair fall are mentioned below:
- Lack of essential nutrients in the body
- Excessive use of chemicals through hair coloring and hair styling treatments
- Improper and unhealthy dietary habits
- Hormonal imbalance
- Certain medications
- Dandruff, alopecia and other scalp disorders
- Even stress and tension can lead to hair fall.
If you are stressed out due to some reason, consider doing meditation, yoga or deep breathing exercises as they help in hair fall control. Also, make it a point to get adequate sleep every night.
Any underlying medical issue should be taken care of to avoid severe hair fall which can lead to baldness. Thyroid is a common problem affecting many women and this condition may lead to rapid hair fall. So consider getting a thyroid test done after consulting your doctor.
Here is a detailed post on what causes hair loss in women.
Easy Tips To Control Hair Fall:
Now, let us look at some easy tips on how to stop hair fall:
1. A wide-toothed comb should ideally be used to gently detangle hair and then the regular fine-toothed comb may be used to style the hair as per one’s need. This will reduce the risk of hair breakage and hair fall while combing.
2. It is best not to comb the hair while it is wet as this leads to greater chances of hair breakage and fall. Let it be dry or semi-dry before combing.
3. Do not rub your hair vigorously with towel. This will only lead to unwanted hair breakage. Use the towel instead to gently soak out excess moisture.
4. Clean your combs every week. If you look closely, you will see that combs become dirty over time; so they need to be cleaned with a brush, soap and water as using a dirty comb continuously can lead to hair fall as well. You can do this easily while taking a bath or shampooing each week. This is a necessary precaution to take for hair fall control.
5. Hot oil treatments is one of the best answers to address the problem of hair fall!
The tradition of oiling the hair to enhance and retain its natural beauty hails from ancient India.
Instead of opting for an expensive parlor treatment, it is best to use natural products that are safe, produce no side effects and are also effective.
Natural oils such as coconut, olive, canola, jojoba, sesame etc. can be used to massage the scalp for countering hair fall and encouraging new hair growth. You have to warm the oil of your choice by heating it; ensure that it’s not too hot but bearable, gently massage your scalp using your fingers or even a cotton ball may be used. Next, wear a shower cap, leaving it on for about 1 hour and rinse off using a mild shampoo.
Here is a detailed post on how hot oil massage prevents hair loss.
As we know, hair fall problems can be related to the scalp – issues such as dandruff, dryness and flakiness etc. With a natural hot oil treatment twice every week, the blood circulation in the scalp area can be stimulated causing the hair follicles to stay active. Hair loss can be countered through deep conditioning and eliminating these scalp issues, and at the same time your hair receives the much-needed nourishment and care which will help in strengthening and making it beautiful.
6. Try to switch to shampoos that are sulfate, silicone and paraben-free to avoid loading the scalp and hair with harsh chemicals that damage hair, making it brittle and more prone to breakage. Controlling chemical damage is certainly a sure shot way to ensure hair loss prevention.
Few such products are available from brands like The Body Shop, Soul Tree, Rustic Art, Organic Surge; The Nature’s Co. etc
7. Wash your hair at least every 3 days with a gentle hair cleanser or shampoo to remove all accumulated dust, dirt, oil and bacterial build up. Keep it clean at all times to avoid hair fall due to unclean scalp and infections. This is a necessary step to follow as an answer to how to prevent hair fall.
Latest posts by Oindrila (see all)
- 10 Latest Winter Hairstyles That You Can Flaunt - July 20, 2013
- How to Stop And Reduce Hair Fall – 21 Things That Worked For Me - July 17, 2013
- 50 Lovely Bun Hairstyles For Long Hair - July 9, 2013
- Best Liquid Eyeliners – Our Top 10 - July 6, 2013