Skin covers and protects our body from climate changes, stress, and pollution. Skin contains a pigment called melanin that protects us from the sun. However, there could be a case when there could be an uneven accumulation of melanin. This results in the formation of dark spots and white spots. Sometimes, there is an overproduction of melanin too, and this situation is called hyperpigmentation.
We doubt any of us would wish to have such uneven skin tone because everybody wants healthy even skin tone. So, let us understand the causes are first.
Causes Of Uneven Skin Tone
So what are the reasons for uneven skin tone on the face or anywhere else on the skin? It may be any of the following.
- The most common reason for uneven skin tone is exposure to the sun. If your skin is overexposed to the sun, it increases the production of melanin. So try to avoid prolonged sun exposure.
- If you have dry skin, sometimes cells may lack sebum causing cracked and unhealthy skin. So dry skin is prone to get damaged and discolored easily.
- If you have hormonal problems or imbalanced release of hormones, it may lead to the production of less or more melanin in certain areas.
Home Remedies For Uneven Skin Tone
- Exfoliation is the main key to avoid uneven skin tone. A mixture of yogurt or curd and grounded orange peels will help remove the dead cells while smoothening out the tone.
- Apply lemon juice on the skin. You can apply it all over your face and leave it for a while. Wash it off later.
- Apply a mixture of curd and turmeric on the skin and wait till it dries. Then, rub it off.
- You can also apply tomato on your skin, followed by massaging the pulp for around 10 minutes. It rectifies uneven skin tone and clears blemishes and patches.
- Cleanse the face with rose water by dabbing it with a piece of cotton wool before going to sleep. Since it’s an excellent natural toner, it closes the open pores.
- Application of honey on the skin may also help you correct uneven skin tone.
- Lots of fruits, vegetables, juices, and pulses in the diet also help in flushing out the toxins from the body, thereby balancing your skin tone.
- Baking soda scrub – Mix one teaspoon of baking soda and one teaspoon of water and apply on the skin. Leave it to stay on the skin for approximately one minute and rinse the skin with warm water.
- Cleansing the skin and moisturizing are two more vital “must dos” to reduce uneven skin tone. Hydrating your skin is the key to keeping it healthy.
- Olive and flaxseed oils are good moisturizers. Mix these and apply on your skin. They likewise aid in healing dry, cracked red skin.
- Applying potato, or cucumber slices to your skin and leaving them on for about ten minutes will not only hydrate the skin but will detoxify it too.
- Mix finely ground oatmeal with water and use it on your skin for best results.
- Use organic apple cider vinegar for best results since it contains many natural occurring minerals and other vitamins that are not present in distilled vinegar. Just mix it with water in equal ratio and apply on the skin.
Don’t overlook the importance of toner just because you don’t notice results overnight. Nobody does. Toners refine and shrink the size of our pores if and only if used regularly.
Types Of Toners
A lot of these results depend on what type of toner you use. Yes, there are various types, and these types have good and bad ones too.
Toners essentially come in three variants –
- Alcohol-free (contains 0% alcohol and contains glycerine)
- Skin tonics (containing up to 20% alcohol) and
- Astringents (containing up to 60% alcohol).
Apart from the name ‘toner’, these are also available as ‘fresheners’, ‘skin tonic’, and astringent, respectively.
Which Toner Is Best For Me?
Wondering which one to select? No problem, we have divided different types of toners for different types of skin.
- For our dry skin beauties, the alcohol-free toners are the best. They are not too harsh on the skin, neither do they dry the skin out. They do just what they are supposed to – maintain pH balance of the skin.
- For all beauties with other skin types, skin tonics work better. These remove all traces of oil from the face. They help keep your face squeaky clean.
But Why are People Raving About Alcohol–Free Toners?
Alcohol-free toners are the mildest and best suited for people with dry skin. But they have a drawback when it comes to other skin types. They cannot keep your skin oil-free. They actually inject back the moisture that was lost. Whereas, the alcohol found in skin tonics and astringents, remove all the oil from your skin surface and balance its oiliness.
[Read: Toner for Dry Skin]
So, Are Toners With Alcohol Good Or Bad?
The answer would be ‘bad’! Why? Well if you remove all the oil from your skin surface, the skin is tricked into thinking that it has gone dry. Now, in order to balance this dryness, it starts producing excess oil – making the skin oilier. Again, alcohol is a dehydrating agent. It might give you the feeling of being oil-free for some time, but in reality, it would rip off all the natural moisture from your skin and eventually bring about premature aging.
So it’s better to stick to the alcohol-free toners or the ones containing a mild amount of alcohol. It is better to combat oiliness instead of going about with wrinkles and with a skin that looks more dead than alive.
But ‘to each, his own’ is the mantra here. We all differ from each other. So the best would be to consult your dermatologist and go by his/her recommendation.
A Quick Tip
Why not transfer alcohol-free toner in a spray bottle and use it as a freshener on hot sultry days or in dry winters? Just a spritz or two and you are good to keep going again.
Beside all these, use of sunscreen or sunblock is a must. If these remedies don’t work for you, then you should visit a good dermatologist and get treated right away.
Latest posts by Gayatri (see all)
- 11 Amazing Benefits Of Hyacinth Herb For Skin, Hair And Health - April 25, 2014
- 10 Amazing Benefits Of Rue Herb For Skin, Hair And Health - April 23, 2014
- Top 10 Made In India Cosmetic Brands - November 6, 2013
- 13 Simple Tips To Get Perfect Legs - October 15, 2013
- 23 Amazing Benefits Of Primrose Oil For Skin, Hair And Health - August 31, 2013