There are several skin ailments that affect humans, and scabies is among the most annoying ones. It is a contagious skin ailment that spreads fast from skin contact and sharing things with an infected person. But if you are suffering from this condition, don’t worry, as there is an amazing ingredient that can help you treat it.
It is tea tree oil we are talking about. Are you interested in knowing more about tea tree oil and scabies? Keep reading!
Scabies – An Overview
Scabies occurs when a tiny insect species named Sarcoptesscabiei burrows under your skin and then lays eggs (1). The symptoms include skin itching, redness, scaly skin and lumps in groin and armpits. The itching sensation grows at night, which disrupts sleep.
Using Natural Remedies To Treat Scabies
While a number of OTC creams, ointments and gels are available to treat contagious skin infections, their efficacy can vary. It has been observed that scabies infections can be resistant to most prescription medications. Using natural extracts with proven antiseptic and antibacterial properties can yield better results. In this context, using tea tree oil can be an ideal solution.
Why Use Tea Tree Oil To Treat Scabies Infection?
A number of advanced dermatological studies have revealed tea tree oil’s efficacy in treating numerous skin infections, including scabies. Its inherent anti-microbial agent named Terpinen 4- OL eliminates various bacteria and germs (2). Tea tree oil is safe for use on skin, except in some rare cases. Using a solution with 5% tea tree oil kills scabies better than OTC medications.
How To Use Tea Tree Oil For Scabies?
As it is, you can use tea tree oil in a number of ways to eradicate scabies:
- Using tea tree oil directly can help in eliminating scabies fast. However, essential oils in pure form can prove to be too strong for the skin. To evade the risk of skin burning or irritation, dilute tea tree oil with a carrier oil. Mix it with olive oil and use a cotton ball to apply the mixed oil on those areas of the body that are affected by scabiesLet your skin soak the oil. This can be done twice or more per day.
- Taking bath in tea tree oil mixed water can be helpful when you want to ward off scabies infection. Fill a bathtub with lukewarm water and pour a few drops of tea tree oil in it. Take a relaxing bath in the water for about 20 minutes. However, take care not to splash the water on your face.
- You can find some shower gels and medicated soaps with tea tree oil as an active ingredient. You may use such products to eliminate scabies. It is also okay to add a few drops of tea tree oil to your existing body wash gel.
- Massaging your body with tea tree oil can be helpful to get rid of scabies. You can mix pure tea tree oil with olive or sesame oil. The mixing ratio can be 1:5 for tea tree oil and other oil. Massage gently on the skin focusing on the parts affected by scabies. This should ideally be done sometime before taking a bath.
[ Read: Is Neem Oil Helpful To Treat Scabies? ]
Even when you use tea tree oil to eliminate scabies, other precautions should be taken. Remember that scabies is really contagious, and hence, the ways the infection spreads need to be monitored (3). So, you should wash clothes, towels and bed sheets in hot water and use antibacterial solutions to clean them thoroughly. This will ensure the contamination does not spread to others.
To prevent others in the family from getting infected by scabies, ensure they also resort to using tea tree oil baths during the time. If you find the infection is not getting cured even after using tea tree oil for over a week, get in touch with a dermatologist immediately.
Did you ever use tea tree oil for scabies infection? Tell us how this post has helped you. Do comment in the box given below.
- 10 Effective Home Remedies For Scabies
- Can Tea Tree Oil Treat Yeast Infections?
- Can Tea Tree Oil Help You Get Rid Of Warts?
- How To Use Tea Tree Oil To Remove Moles?
Latest posts by Renold Rajan (see all)
- Why Should You Use Coconut Oil For Tanning? - September 2, 2015
- Beware! 10 Side Effects Of Lemon Myrtle Tea - August 31, 2015
- How To Use Apple Cider Vinegar For Spider Veins - August 17, 2015
- 10 Best Vipassana Meditation Centres In India - August 17, 2015
- How Apple Cider Vinegar Cured My Sore Throat - August 14, 2015